X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoMonk
    Career Member
    • Jan 22, 2007

Our Gang

Besides the Waltons, it seems like Mego's Our Gang line gete the least attention on the boards here. I am a huge fan of the Our Gang/Little Rascals. Here are a few facts/questions I have noted about the Mego OG figures.
    First, when Mego licensed the rights to make these figures, they would have licensed them from MGM, not Hal Roach studios. The reason I can tell this is because of Mickey Gubitosi(Robert Blake). The 1st 169 Our Gang shorts were produced by Roach between 1923 and 1938. In 1938 he sold the Our Gang production, including all of the actors contracts and the rights to the Our Gang name to MGM. This did not include Gubitosi/Blake, who was not hired until a year later. To most Our Gang/Little Rascals fans, the first appearance of the Mickey character was the jump the shark moment. Roach never would have hired him.
    Another question is why they did not make a Butch figure. I guess nobody but Neal Kublan would know if Mego ever considered a Butch figure. There could have been legal problems if they did produce one. Tommy "butch" Bond originally appeared in the early 30's a a character named Tommy. He was let go after 2 years. In the late 30's he was brought back to play Butch. However, as Butch he worked on a per picture basis, and was not under contract. He claimed that because of this, that he owned the rights to his own likeness. He warned MGM a number of times not to license his image. Eventually he sued, and won a settlement from MGM.
    Lastly, some trivia. The six actors/characters that Mego did produce only appeared together in 2 Our Gang shorts, 1939's "Joy scouts" and "Auto Antics". By 1939, Porky had grown taller than Spanky, despite the fact he was 5 years younger. MGM decided to let him go, and let Gubitosi/Blake take his spot in the Gang.
    Kevin
    Last edited by MegoMonk; Oct 9, '07, 5:45 PM. Reason: mis-spellings!
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

wow good info man,glad to see some love go towards the Our Gang line
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• batmanmc
      mego batman collector
      • Jun 22, 2004

cant tell you but i can say the mego line was very well done. i love the go cart and the clubhouse.

Comment

• MegoMonk
        Career Member
        • Jan 22, 2007

they were all well done except for Darla. It really looks nothing like her.

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

Great information Kevin. Sounds like you could be a great resource to the Museum on that line. I actually really like the less popular lines, it seems Mego did some of their best work on them.

Comment

• MegoMonk
            Career Member
            • Jan 22, 2007

Thanks Hulk. I've noticed the Our Gang gallery pictures don't have any text for the individual figures or playsets. I would not mind writing a few sentences for each, if anyone ever wants to update the gallery for this line.

Comment

• phil
              Persistent Member
              • May 11, 2007

I'm also a huge fan of The Little Rascals/Our Gang. I remember only seeing the
              figures once in a store. When I went back a few weeks later they were gone
              and I never saw them again. I could have had a lot of fun with those figures and having them meet my other Megos. "Alfalfa meets Superman" could have been fun.

The films produced by the Hal Roach studios are infinnetly superior to the ones made by MGM. There are a few MGM installments that aren't too bad though.

Comment

• mego boy CA
                megos are FUN!!
                • Mar 30, 2006

great info. i totally dig this line of figures and accs.
                sigpic
                "To The Batmobile!"
                "We Haven't A Moment To Lose!"

Comment

• Mego Marauder
                  • Dec 9, 2014

I remember these new in the stores but don't recall wanting them. I finally completed my figure set this year but I don't have the playset or the boat. Do have the little car but the yellow parts disintegrated.

Comment

• josephcardone
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 10, 2010

Really interesting - I like this line as well

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

I remember the line, but don't remember seeing them in the stores that often, let's not forget about
                      Froggy not sure of the background on him, but remember him well, in the later episodes.

Well fans of the Rascals, who have the megos, can always create customs of Butch and Froggy, and anyone else
                      that would be very cool to do and we have some very talented customizers here, and I'm sure getting, custom
                      art cards or boxes from Toyroom would be possible.

Comment

• mego boy CA
                        megos are FUN!!
                        • Mar 30, 2006

This is a very cool line. I have the complete set, all the figures, the club house, boat, and race cart too. I was told by a member here in the museum that the our gang figures I have are the ones pictured in the gallery so I'm excited about that!
                        Peter
                        sigpic
                        "To The Batmobile!"
                        "We Haven't A Moment To Lose!"

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍