X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1978 Kenner Star Wars Launch

A big one today, the 1978 Kenner Star Wars Catalog with shots of the original lineup including prototypes and store displays. This stuff will forever make me drool.
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • theantiquetiger
    Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
    • Nov 12, 2005

Whats the world coming to when a Bot cannot even post a link that works?
    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Awesome Brian. Although you've got some text from your "Man From Atlantis" story in there.

I feel kind of weird about Star Wars. I totally missed the boat on the first movie in theaters (I was only 2 when it came out), and felt like a poser when other kids talked about Star Wars. I had a few items, but nowhere near what a lot of my friends had.

Oddly enough, my son is MUCH more into Star Wars than I ever was. He's even having a Star Wars themed birthday, and dressing as Luke for Halloween.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

I loved Star Wars and always will did anyone here order the early bird package ? and received the empty box
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• MegoGeek
          From The Black Lagoon
          • Jun 27, 2001

Wow!

Those massive 12 Back merchandising displays are F-ing incredible!

It's stuff like that that makes me happy I never abandonded my packaged vintage SW collecting.
          ______
          ChArLiE

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by toys2cool
            I loved Star Wars and always will did anyone here order the early bird package ? and received the empty box
            No but I did send away for the Boba Fett figure. Was let down when I got the letter from Kenner saying the figure would be delayed because they were getting rid of the rocket firing feature.

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Han and Chewie look seriously screwed in that picture, Vader is on top of them Saber drawn and they're stuck in a doorway like the Three Stooges..
              That cracked me up Bri....you can't miss with the vintage SW stuff---humor or
              otherwise The LAUNCH material is great !!!!!
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Cool stuff! I was never into the Star Wars toy phenomenon. I was 11 at the time. My younger brother inexplicably got an X-Wing for his birthday from my aunt and he didn't know what the heck the thing was supposed to do (he was still into Matchbox cars and a "space-toy" just didn't cut it). He ended up giving it to my cousin (whose mother bought the thing).
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• UOBob
                  Mostly Harmless
                  • Jul 18, 2006

Was let down when I got the letter from Kenner saying the figure would be delayed because they were getting rid of the rocket firing feature.
                  Today, that letter would probably be worth more than many of the carded figs!
                  мое судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей

Comment

• BaronSat
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Sep 17, 2007

Originally posted by RSS
                    From Plaid Stallions : The other two in the first wave were Chewie and Vader but wait, something isn't right about Chewbacca.....
                    That's not Chewbacca, it's a Big foot from the Six Million Dollar Man line of toys taking is place.

Great scans Brian, thanks!
                    That's funny because some days ago while I was shooting my customs I made this photo :

PS The Bigfoot is my custom for my custom SMDM Lego minifigures collection.
                    Custom models :
                    www.baronsat.net

Comment

• VintageMike
                      Permanent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2004

Great stuff! I actually got my first SW figure during a re-release of the movie in 1978. They were selling the first figures at the theater and I still have that figure (an R2-D2). Kenner SW was THE toy for most of my childhood. I will get one of the 12 back display header sone day!

Comment

• Sowth
                        Career Member
                        • Mar 14, 2006

Ahhh Star Wars. My first true love. Those planograms are the stuff of dreams!

re: The Fett, They didn't actually send out a letter saying there was going to be a delay, you are probably remembering the "Note to Consumers" included in the mail-away box explaining that the rocket was no longer a firing feature.

Check out the pics here

As I'm sure you guys all know the planned feature was ditched after a child choked on a Mattel Battlestar Gallactica missile.

Good to see The Plaid heading down this path

Will
                        Last edited by Sowth; Oct 6, '07, 11:11 AM.
                        Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎