X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

Hulk SELL Shoes!!!

As most of you know, I sell Mego Scale figures and accessories on the internet. I also post my cell phone number on the internet, and have gotten my share of strange calls, but usually they result in pleasant conversations about collecting and customizing Megos.

Something happened today that I wanted to share.

I got a call on my cell phone while I was at work, and on one of the many conference calls that I attend or host every day. I checked my phone to see if I recognized the number, and since I didn't, I didn't answer it. I figure if it is important, they'll leave a message or call me on another number.

I don't get a voicemail alert, but instead, I get another call less than three minutes later. I check, and its the same number. I am in the middle of explaining something to a client, so I let it roll again, and this time I am rewarded with a voice mail.

At this point, I suspect it might be a customer, and once I wrap up my call, I realize I have a few minutes before my next call to take a break and check on what is so important.

Bear with me, this is where it gets good. I had to write this message down, since it was possibly the most amusing phone call I have ever received. I will try to type in a fashion that reflects the caller.

Mah nayhme iz (left blank to protect the ignorant... err...innocent). I'hmm gunna order sum Soooper-hee-ro boots, in White...

...and also sum Pie-ritt Orange Boots... and they arr Orange.

[significant pause here]

And the size I wont in the Whites iz TEN and the Pie-ritt boots...

I wont to see if I kin get sized as foort-teeeen. Thanks...

Mah num-ber is XXX-XXX-XXXX. Thank yew.
    Seriously... this happened to me. I almost cried laughing, and had to play the message to a co-worker just to make sure I wasn't going crazy and hearing things, or that someone was pulling my leg. After being assured by a hysterical co-worker that I wasn't nuts, I had to call him back. I leave a voice mail and he immediately calls me back. Nice guy, but I have to listen to him explain again what he wanted while keeping a straight face.

I explain that I was concerned that maybe he misunderstood what I have to offer, and that the shoes I sell on my site are made for 8 inch action figures.

{significant pause here}

He chuckles and realizes that the $3.50 for superhero boots, and more importantly the $4.50 for orange pirate boots was too good to be true (which he made clear to me were intended for him). I told him that I was glad he found the situation funny and we both shared a laugh. Obviously a nice guy, but I was left wondering what a guy who wears a size 14 was going to do, and where was he going to go wearing Orange Pirate boots.

He did explain that he found my boots on Google, apparently a search for superhero boots results in th 32nd hit looking like this...

Hulk's Mego Scale Store : Home > Footwear-

Superhero Boots Black. Price: $3.50 ... Superhero Boots White. Price: $3.50 ... Superhero Boots Purple. Price: $3.50 ...
    https://www.shop.megoville.com/categ...g?categoryId=8 - 72k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Anyway, I hope this call amused y'all even a fraction of what it did for me, because it honestly made my day.

PS - When I checked his area code, it was from California in the area north of LA. Gotta love LA-LA Land.

• Megotu
    jerk
    • Dec 16, 2001

I wear size 14 day-glo orange pirate boots every tuesday night, sailor.
    sigpic

Comment

• Hulk
      Mayor of Megoville
      • May 10, 2003

I had to try to convert this to a downloadable audio file. Forgive the quality of my speakerphone to microphone conversion.

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Maybe the guy thought you were Al Bundy or something.

Comment

• Marvelmania
          A Ray of Sunshine
          • Jun 17, 2001

hulk sell shoes

And all the time I'm thinking that has got to be Bill (Wee67)
          He talks just like that.

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Too funny
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Dave Mc
              Administrator
              • Oct 20, 2002

That is classic. Thanks for the chuckle.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                Stays Crunchy in Milk
                • Aug 2, 2004

I kept waiting for the part where this was all a prank.... funny
                Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• megowgsh
                  Customego HoF Curator
                  • Nov 19, 2003

That could very well be the funniest Mego-related story I have ever heard
                  Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• megocrazy
                    Museum Trouble Maker
                    • Feb 18, 2007

Wouldn't it have been funnier if he ordered them and then called you to say you sent the wrong size and must have some very small customers?
                    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎