PDA

View Full Version : Awww Yeah MEGO RACING!!!

samurainoir
Jun 14, '10, 12:24 PM
Huge props to Hulk and the lovely Mrs Mego Milk for organizing the Mego Racing on Saturday night.

It was definitely one of the highlights of an already memorable night, and I think it also helped shy guys like me mingle a bit.

Going to add some weight to my custom Mego race-car driver this year!!

Who was the final winner?

palitoy
Jun 14, '10, 12:29 PM
I seem to remember several people cussing out Green Goblin for his less than sportsmanlike driving.

noelani72
Jun 14, '10, 1:04 PM
I seem to remember several people cussing out Green Goblin for his less than sportsmanlike driving.

I wouldn't know what you're talking about :smiley1:

My Wife and Daughter were looking at me funny when I walked in the front door with that Olsen Twins baby blue car....

nvmbrsdoom5
Jun 14, '10, 1:16 PM
It was definitely one of the highlights of an already memorable night, and I think it also helped shy guys like me mingle a bit.

Same here, I suffer from the "shy guy" thing too, and if I hadn't have had a bit of a headache and the wife to attend to after dinner, I would've been right there with ya! I heard about the races the next day and was sorry I missed it.

megojim
Jun 14, '10, 1:37 PM
It was a great idea that I see as an annual event, my Scarecrow got cut off as well.

samurainoir
Jun 14, '10, 1:41 PM
I wouldn't know what you're talking about :smiley1:

My Wife and Daughter were looking at me funny when I walked in the front door with that Olsen Twins baby blue car....

Did you get the one with the Red Flames or the Yellow Flames?

noelani72
Jun 14, '10, 2:13 PM
Did you get the one with the Red Flames or the Yellow Flames?

Rose wanted the Red one, soooo I gave in :grin:

David Lee
Jun 14, '10, 4:32 PM
Rigged.... :sarky:

-Dave

megoscott
Jun 14, '10, 4:38 PM
Um....what are you guys talking about? Were there photos taken of this glorious event? I'm picturing you strapping Megos to frogs or large gerbils and racing them down the halls of the Super 8.

Meule
Jun 14, '10, 5:15 PM
Same here, I suffer from the "shy guy" thing too

Could've fooled me :wink_y:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_R3V2Y7oid2A/R9Px2AFkjGI/AAAAAAAAAEk/w1wQpJnqIyE/s640/019.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_R3V2Y7oid2A/R9PylAFkjUI/AAAAAAAAAGY/avkdm2uAa6I/s512/034.JPG

samurainoir
Jun 14, '10, 5:29 PM
Um....what are you guys talking about? Were there photos taken of this glorious event? I'm picturing you strapping Megos to frogs or large gerbils and racing them down the halls of the Super 8.

I believe it was Rose that brought two Bratz cars and Hulk who set up the eisel and sign up sheet. We raced them in heats down the sidewalk on the hill adjacent to the smoking terrace beside the Mego Suite.

Dave Mc
Jun 14, '10, 5:33 PM
My Wild Bill was beat in the final by GG. He's not a nice sportsman either. He cheated, I'm sure of it.

VintageMike
Jun 14, '10, 5:48 PM
This was a nice surprise on the last day. The ultimate "big kids" moment IMO.
My quickly devised custom "Van Man"(because he was made with parts from inside the infamous Chips van) was eliminated in the first round. I'll have someone much better ready and waiting for next year!

Hulk
Jun 14, '10, 6:20 PM
Glad someone posted this. it was an idea hatched up by Rose and myself last year that would give the participants of the Mego Suite something else to do.

Many people recognized the cars used (Olson Twin cars) as the same base as the custom cars I used to make, Joker Car, Captain Americar, Spider Car, etc.

I opened two brand new ones in AZ, and used a good portion of my single carry on luggage bringing these to WV. I picked up a sheet of Red and yellow RC car emblems at a Hobbytown outside of Pittsburgh. Rose and I spent more time than anticipated cutting out and applying the stickers Friday Night, and testing them on the improvised race course (a sidewalk on a hilly side of the Super 8). No Megos were used during testing for safety purposes.

We convinced 3 or 4 people to sign up Friday Night, and it took some arm twisting and Rose's feminine persuasion to complete our round of 16 participants. We paired up first round races to create as many interesting rivalries as possible. Example: Jesse James vs Wild Bill Hickok.

I know there were pictures and video taken, so hopefully we'll see some of that posted, but overall, I think people's skepticism was quickly turned into cheering, bragging, and boasting. I think waiting until a few beers had been consumed helped this overall.

Looking forward to this becoming an annual tradition. We may need to expand this to two nights, with one half of the bracket competing on Friday, one on Saturday, concluding with the Finals between the two. Who knows, perhaps even a 2 out of 3 for the finals.

nvmbrsdoom5
Jun 14, '10, 6:29 PM
Thomas, playing onstage is a completely different thing than having to be social and interesting to talk to! lol

But hey, you'll notice in that one pic of me I'm rockin the MegoMuseum t-shirt onstage. I try to represent when I can!

Mego Milk
Jun 14, '10, 6:31 PM
Jonah Hex was robbed!
He never even saw a car until that night and was expected to drive it against HUTCH?!

Vintage Hutch too!
Hutch rides in cars everyday!

If it was Horse races, Jonah would have smoked him.

word.

nvmbrsdoom5
Jun 14, '10, 6:31 PM
Maybe eventually you can get people to start making some crazy custom rc cars to bring to this MegoMeet car race annually. Each person can make their car unique to themselves and it can be like the MM version of Wacky Racers!

samurainoir
Jun 14, '10, 6:42 PM
Maybe eventually you can get people to start making some crazy custom rc cars to bring to this MegoMeet car race annually. Each person can make their car unique to themselves and it can be like the MM version of Wacky Racers!

:smiley1: That would be really funny! I could see this developing into a RoboWars type televised contest if we went that route.

BTW, we had a very nice time at dinner with you and your wife (and Austin), and thanks for going to get Ice Cream with us as well!

(what is Rick's screen-name?)

samurainoir
Jun 14, '10, 6:46 PM
Jonah Hex was robbed!
He never even saw a car until that night and was expected to drive it against HUTCH?!

Vintage Hutch too!
Hutch rides in cars everyday!

If it was Horse races, Jonah would have smoked him.

word.

The Fix did seem to be in play with that Heat eh? I can't believe Plastic Man drove off the road against the Hulk! The Hulk can't even HOLD the steering wheel with his hand bunched up in fists like that.

nvmbrsdoom5
Jun 14, '10, 7:07 PM
:smiley1: That would be really funny! I could see this developing into a RoboWars type televised contest if we went that route.

BTW, we had a very nice time at dinner with you and your wife (and Austin), and thanks for going to get Ice Cream with us as well!

(what is Rick's screen-name?)

Oh yeah can't forget him (AAAAA) and his dad Mike, it was fun having them dine with us as well!!

durgos
Jun 14, '10, 8:14 PM
I'm hoping to find a good car for "racer spock" to practace with & get him ready for next year! :cool_y:

B-Lister
Jun 14, '10, 11:38 PM
oh man, I wish I hadn't missed this.

maybe next year. Gonna hafta choose a driver and a suitable vehicle.

what are the rules?

Hulk
Jun 14, '10, 11:57 PM
We provided the cars, and the rules were simply to provide an 8 inch Mego scale figure for them to ride in. I was the official starter, and managed my best to keep things even. One person chose the car, the other chose the right or left "lane". first one across the finish line or whoever made it the furthest without running into the grass won. I let whoever I ran against to choose both in an attempt to keep things fair.

Meule
Jun 15, '10, 3:58 PM
But hey, you'll notice in that one pic of me I'm rockin the MegoMuseum t-shirt onstage. I try to represent when I can!

And I did my part as well on the Novembers Doom DVD :wink_y: :grin:

bleit1701
Jun 15, '10, 10:40 PM
Nascar Racing? Bleh!
Bratzcar racing, now that's the ticket.

16 Mego figures, 2 plastic cars, a warm\humid West Virginia night and a bunch of megoheads who don't know any better. Ah, yes.

My Catwoman was cheating and she still lost.

Here's a few pictures of the action. The was 'an exibition only, please, no wagering'.

The drivers get to their vehicles:
http://sites.google.com/site/pics1701/mm2010/005.JPG

Start your engines:
http://sites.google.com/site/pics1701/mm2010/009.JPG

the brackets
http://sites.google.com/site/pics1701/mm2010/013.JPG

The Racers
http://sites.google.com/site/pics1701/mm2010/bratzcarracers.jpg

rche
Jun 15, '10, 10:53 PM
awesome

stats and all.

Hulk
Jun 15, '10, 11:34 PM
THANKS for the Pix Brian! I knew there had to be some!

bleit1701
Jun 15, '10, 11:53 PM
Not a big selection of pics. You kind of look like you're out there by yourself but there were more people present, I swear.

Meule
Jun 16, '10, 2:58 AM
MegoMeet drag race, what a fantastic idea.
I have one of those (Bratz I think?) cars as well, if I ever make there I'll bring mine with me :smiley1:

SlipperyLilSuckers
Jun 16, '10, 4:17 AM
Good onya Paul! What a great idea.

samurainoir
Jun 16, '10, 11:08 AM
I seem to recall someone taking video, who was that? Can't wait to see that footage!

Hulk
Jun 16, '10, 6:06 PM
GarageSale took some videos (and some "interviews" with the figures post race oddly enough), so I am guessing once he is back and recovered from his considerable travels, we'll see some video.