X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

79 Robin source art found

I was looking through some old Batman comics of mine, and in issue #259 (which I've owned for at least 10 years or more) something jumped out me that never had before. On page 56, Robin introduces some new costumes designs fans sent in. The Robin head introducing this feature seems to be the source of the 1979 Mego card Robin art.

Above is a pic my 79 Batman Pin Pin card and the comic page in question. I always knew Robin's head had to be the work of Irv Novick, probably inked by Dick Giordano. No credit for the Robin in the comic is given, but Novick and Giordano did illustrate the new feature in this issue (it was 100-page spectacular issue with some reprints). Now, this Robin image could possibly come from an earlier comic, as DC did this a lot at this time, using old head stats of characters to introduce reprints in the like. But this Robin head is fairly contemparary to this comic due to his hair-style.

Either way, someone at Mego or DC either traced or partially redrew parts of this, as Robin's cape is a bit different. But beisdes the green highlights omitted from his mask, his head, including hair, cheek bones, nose and mouth are practically identical.

I apologize for the fuzzy photo, but my home scanner is dead. Here's a quick photoshop mockup to show the two images closer.

Chris
    sigpic
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

That's pretty cool Chris,nice observation
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      I was looking through some old Batman comics of mine, and in issue #259 (which I've owned for at least 10 years or more) something jumped out me that never had before. On page 56, Robin introduces some new costumes designs fans sent in. The Robin head introducing this feature seems to be the source of the 1979 Mego card Robin art.

Nice going Chris! I've had the same issue as well (probably longer than 10 years) and I never noticed that either. I remember that feature well.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

That's him! You are invaluable, Chris.
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• batmanmc
          mego batman collector
          • Jun 22, 2004

thats great . i wonder how much of the mego artwork came from comics.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

Looks like you hit the nail on the head. It looks like someone at Mego gave Robin's mouth a little more detail but other than that and the green in the mask as you said,they do look pretty much alike. Good job.

Comment

• LOU
              Museum FIN-atic
              • Nov 20, 2003

LOL! That's great! It is so cool when source art is found! I always remember the great Tarzan art mystery on the old boards. Definitely a surprising find for you I'm sure Chris! Great stuff...

Comment

• Hulk
                Mayor of Megoville
                • May 10, 2003

I love your discoveries. This is definitely a legacy you are leaving to the museum. Another fantastic find, detective!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks guys! I suppose we have all the 79 DC card front art sourced out now. Superman comes from that classic "running/punching" piece of Neal Adams style guide art (they redrew his neck and shoulders), Batman (neck and shoulders also redrawn) and Supergirl come from the 1976 Neal Adams DC calendar, Shazam! comes from the classic style guide art used on almost everything in the 70s, and now we know where Robin comes from.

I'll keep digging through my old Batman and Detectives and see if the art originated in an earlier comic. By the way, the date on Batman #259 was Dec-Nov, 1974.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• jemboy2004
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 14, 2005

That's cool to see. Great Job! Now What I really want to know is, Where did the Wonder Woman mego art come from? Do we know yet? Both 8"and 12" versions of WW had different art on them.

Comment

• mitchedwards
                      Mego Preservation Society
                      • May 2, 2003

Great detective work.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Ric,

I think most of the Mego WW art is stock/style guide art. The 8" art, featuring WW swinging her lasso is by Murphy Anderson. Anderson created a lot of DC of stock art in the very early 70s for use on comic covers and merchandise. Anderson also did most of the art for Ideal's Captain Action line, and all the Super Queens art.

The 12" WW doll art is the work of Dick Giordano. The bullets-n-bracelets figures from the box front were also used on other items and may have been created for generic stock art, or just for Mego. Hard to tell. Giordano did the artwork for the fashion packages as well. Theres an old issue of BackIssue! spotlighting the WW tv series that credits Giordano with this work.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• mikeoz
                          Mego Maker
                          • Mar 9, 2007

That was a great observation. Good catch.
                          Looking for:
                          Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

Nice going Chris, not the first discovery you've made either. I love seeing these origins
                            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎