X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flynne
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 22, 2003

My Mego Meet status is uncertain now

After exhaustive treaments over the last 18 months, Mom is now terminally ill with Cancer. We checked her out of the Hopsital this morning, and she will be in-home for Hospice Care for whatever time she has left. Only God knows how long that will be, but what time is left to us we will cherish it and keep her comfortable and surrounded by loving family. So, if things take a turn for the worse, I will be staying home rather than coming to the Meet this year.

When I was little, Mom worked in the Toy Section of several stores, starting with David's (a regional Mass Market Retailer), and then later K-Mart. The Megos I got as a child came from her work, along with a plethora of other items like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Transformers, and GI Joe. In many ways, it's because of my Mother that I became a toy collector. True to that end, if possible, Mom wants me to attend the Meet

I'm not sure yet at this point if she will be well enough for me to take a 72 hour trip away from our hometown. I'll be playing it by ear.
    An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"
  • megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

So sorry to hear this Derek. We've been through this with my grandmother and my father in law and sister in law most recently so my wife and I can fully relate to what you're going through. Our thoughts are with your Mom, you and Jen and the rest of the family at this difficult time. Chuck, Rob, and the kids.
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• batmanmc
      mego batman collector
      • Jun 22, 2004

my thoughts are with you but family comes first, then mm if time . mike

Comment

• Blue Meanie
        Banned
        • Jun 23, 2001

Derek...sorry to hear about all that's been going on with your mom. Mego's can always wait...Family first. We'll miss ya at the Meet...Me and Tom will keep your Mom, you and Jen in our thoughts and prayers.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Sorry to hear the bad news. Just be there for her...

Comment

• Hulk
            Mayor of Megoville
            • May 10, 2003

My thoughts are with you and your family

Comment

• garagesale
              Dept. of Mego Studies
              • Aug 8, 2006

Originally posted by Flynne
              In many ways, it's because of my Mother that I became a toy collector. True to that end, if possible, Mom wants me to attend the Meet
              Derek:

What a sweet woman your mom must be to care so much about your happiness! Our thoughts are with you!

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• bp1701a
                Museum Super Collector
                • Aug 27, 2007

Even though we never met nor have we ever written to each other, i can fully undersatnd and feel for what you are going through, My mother too is also ill and even though I live 45 minutes away,, taking a "fun trip" is definatly out of the question. I wanted to to to the MEET, but,,,cannot.
                I will put your mom in my prayers,,,,
                Good luck.
                I am MEGO CRAZZZYYY !!!

Comment

• megoscott
                  Founding Partner
                  • Nov 17, 2006

So sorry, Derek. Best to your family. We've been through hospice 3 times in my family, I'm a believer in what they do. I wish her comfort and peace.
                  This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Flynne
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jan 22, 2003

I'll see you on Friday, June 11th!

Mom passed away late Tuesday night with Dad at her side, holding her hand as she took her last breaths - just as it should be. The services will be Saturday, with a cremation to follow. If ever you have to go the Hospice route, as Scott said above I, too, am a big believer in what they do. Bless them for their help.

Since Mom was fairly adamant that even if she was in the Hospital when the Meet came around that she wanted me to go (which, of course, I would not have, because I am equally stubborn), then I guess I'll see you guys on Friday afternoon.
                    An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• batmanmc
                      mego batman collector
                      • Jun 22, 2004

Sorry To Hear About Your Mom , Glad Family Was Around. My Condolences Go Out To You And Your Family. Mike

Comment

• luey
                        Treasure Hunter
                        • Jun 17, 2001

Sorry for your loss, I am glad to hear your Dad got to be with her
                        Greg Mason The Vintage Toy Picker from Knoxville, TN

Comment

• ScottA
                          Original Member
                          • Jun 25, 2001

Sorry to hear this Derek. My condolences as well. See you next week.
                          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• megocrazy
                            Museum Trouble Maker
                            • Feb 18, 2007

So sorry for your loss Derek. Our thoughts are with you all.
                            It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• bobws
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 13, 2008

I lost my Mom some years ago now, so you have my deepest condolences. Take comfort in the fact that she was still thinking of your happiness right to the end. try to enjoy the meet. i wish i could be there to meet you and share your grief.
                              "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎