• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marmes
    Megolomaniac
    • May 12, 2007

Spanish and Italian Horror

I'm obsessed with the following horror directors right now
    - Jesus "Jess" Franco(key films:Venus In Furs,Vampyros Lesbos,Virgin Among The Living Dead,Succubus)
    -Lucio Fulci(key films:Zombie,The Beyond,City of the Living Dead,House By The Cemetery)
    -Amando De Ossorio(key films:Blind Dead series,Night Of The Sorcerers)

All three of these guys prevailed in the 70's and 80's and make absolutely crazy,insane movies.All drenched in dark atmosphere and music.
    I'll warn you that these films are visually driven and if youre looking for strong story you might hate them.They are low budget and flawed but are still very sincere.Think of horror comics made into a movie and you pretty much describe these,in all their tackiness and beauty.If you are a lover of the unusual,check them out!
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

My brother is really into all those weird films i personally don't like those very cheaply made films but he loves them too
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

I remember going through my Franco phase around 12 years ago, trying to track down as many bootleg videos of his films that I could. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by many of them. But there are some "gems" in his huge body of work. And he is a very interesting character, I love reading stories about him and his filmmaking.

I respect Fulci, but am not a huge fan. I think my favourite of his films is DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING. He should have tried working a little bit more in the giallo genre then he did.

As for De Ossario, I've only seen the first Blind Dead film so far. I've been meaning to check out the rest for the longest time, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

I've watched quite few of the Italian horror movies. No one director has stuck out to me yet, though I've watched Fulci, Bava, and Argento. Edwig Fenech (SP?) on the other hand stands out beautifully.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

The only one I have on DVD is Nightmare Castle with Barbara Steele.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

I have several of those on DVD, quite entertaining, especially Fulci's Zombi

Talking about Italian horror, you gotta mention Dario Argento as well. Loved his Demoni 1 & 2. Among others of course since he made so many great movies
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• fallensaviour
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 28, 2006

Fulci and Argento are to of my favs.I loved Zombi and Demoni as a kid.I think I watched them when I was a around 13.I've often felt that Fulci did for zombies what Leone did for westerns.
              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I'm into all things Paul Naschy (El Hombre Lobo) and have more than one of his films, my favourite being "Assignment Terror" which I have two prints of. Saw it on TV 25 years ago intrigued by the "BOMB" rating it always got, for my money Naschy is one of the best werewolves ever and who doesn't love 70's blood?
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Count Creepyhead
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jul 28, 2007

I love the Italian stuff, especially Fulci. The music was always the best, plus they always end on a sad note. No squeeky clean happy endings. However I can't stand Argento, I think he's higly overrated. Other than his re-edit of Dawn, I don't like any of his stuff.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Oh yes, when you're talking about Spanish werewolf films (and who doesn't on a regular basis!), it all begins and ends with Paul Naschy. I'm trying to track down some of his Spanish theatrical posters. Wonderful artwork.

I'm a big Argento fan too (especially DEEP RED, SUSPIRIA, TENEBRE and OPERA). His more recent stuff has really been hit or miss though, but his new film is supposed to be a return to form. (unfortunately I didn't get a chance to check it out at the Toronto Film Festival)

Comment

• marmes
                      Megolomaniac
                      • May 12, 2007

[QUOTE=cjefferys;43088]Oh yes, when you're talking about Spanish werewolf films (and who doesn't on a regular basis!), it all begins and ends with Paul Naschy. I'm trying to track down some of his Spanish theatrical posters. Wonderful artwork.

Yes,I forgot to mention the whole slew of Paul Naschy movies.
                      CJefferys I have all of the Naschy posters.Let me know what ones you are looking for and we can work a trade.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I used to have a collection of Naschy films in those over sized VHS boxes from the early 80's, I sold them and wished I had not. Occasionally you can find tapes of the films in Spanish language stores here in Toronto but I miss the dubs.

I think I'm going to pop in assignment terror again, I really love watching him take down the other monsters.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• marmes
                          Megolomaniac
                          • May 12, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                          I used to have a collection of Naschy films in those over sized VHS boxes from the early 80's, I sold them and wished I had not. Occasionally you can find tapes of the films in Spanish language stores here in Toronto but I miss the dubs.

I think I'm going to pop in assignment terror again, I really love watching him take down the other monsters.
                          Aah yes..Assignment Terror(also known as Dracula vs Frankenstein..not to be confused with the Al Adamson Dracula vs Frankenstein or the Jess Franco
                          Dracula vs Frankenstein..both great films(i use that term loosely) in their own respect.One of my favorite things about Assignment Terror w Naschy is that swanky go go music used throughout and the awesome spanish poster,which i own!!

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                            Pat Troughton in disguise
                            • Nov 21, 2007

Argento stands up as one of the best....got most of his stuff..its a bit difficult to follow the plot sometimes but entertaining enough. The blind dead quadrology is worth a watch too if you'd like to see something different in the zombie stakes (Amando De Ossorio..Night of the seagulls stands out here).
                            ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• lepage
                              The Ape General
                              • Aug 12, 2001

I am right there with you on that!

I have that awesome "coffin" blind dead collection and love it!

Another good one that I own is the Emilio miraglia "Killer Queen" boxed set.

Another one that I have that is classic is the Bava boxed set.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎