X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mattel Toy Book for 1969

Normally I don't delve much in 60s toys as I wasn't made yet but I couldn't resist this cool catalog put out for kids by Mattel pre Christmas 1969. The main reason for me is that it solves a big mystery for me. In Kindergarton I played with these blue plastic men, never knew what they were and I was elated to find out their name was TOG'L Men.
    I'm sure the rest of this well made catalog will be a trip for many as it includes such Mattel staples as Barbie, Hot Wheels and Major Matt Mason.

The 1969 Mattel Toy Book for 1969

Other Mattel Related Links

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • david_b
    Never had enough toys..
    • May 9, 2008

Gawwwd.. Christmas Mornings getting new MMM stuff, like the Space Cannon with 2brand new figures included inside..? It was heavenly..

I didn't like the later-released, impractical Star Seeker and Space Glider ~ Just seemed like a couple of large, 'takes-up-a-lot-of-room' vehicles for only ONE passenger, but always loved the ever-illusive 'Space Station' which I craved and finally got 30yrs later.

Thanks much for posting ~

david_b
    Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
      MeGoing
      • May 14, 2003

That Matt Mason set looks like my idea of great fun. I have always had a thing for Space stuff. That command centre looks awesome.

Comment

• Falstaff13
        Persistent Member
        • May 28, 2008

Wow--so there was a Barbie Julia doll? Is that the earliest Barbie to be based on an existing character/program? And I didn't realize there were talking Barbies that far back.
        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Karen-bionic-fan
          Banned
          • Feb 13, 2010

I was a late 70s kid ( so what is the 60s lol great pics
          Last edited by Karen-bionic-fan; May 21, '10, 8:16 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Around 1974, my best friend got the Matt Mason bubble ship at his Dad's company christmas party (Dupont obviously went to the finest clearance outlets) we used to stare at it wondering what the figures looked like.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Hmmm, I never knew there was a talking Julia, (although I did know about the original Julia doll). And it looks like the Malibu line turned Casey into Francie (same head scuplt).

I have a commercial for MMM and a Big Little Book of him called Moon Mission, but I've never owned one, or knew anyone who did. They look like they were fun.

My older brother had Hot Wheels and tracks, but I was never allowed to play w/ them. I only had Matchbox cars, and though I didn't know it at the time, the wheel base on Matchbox cars is too wide for Hot Wheels tracks.

I was only 3 when this stuff came out, but it's cool.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• pooper_prez
                Museum Patron
                • Sep 20, 2007

Wow! The Hot Wheels and Major Matt Mason stuff brings back great memories. I had that chrome Hot Wheels club car. I don't even want to think about what a mint one would go for now.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Mattel seemed to be a decade ahead of just about everyone else back then. The Matt Mason stuff looks like something from the mid 70s at least, just like the 70s Big Jim PACK stuff looks like 80s toys.

I miss those type of catalogs that show kids playing on insane, expensive backdrops like the Matt Mason moon scene.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

I remember coming across a few Matt Mason toys in the 70's and thinking they were pretty cool. I just never knew there was a bigger line that went along with it. I think if I had been born a decade earlier I'd be posting this at the MattMasonMuseum.com website right now.
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

I still have all my 60's Hot Wheels.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

69, the year my mom came from Cuba she was 13 and when she got here her Grandfather had a Barbie for her I'm sure it was one of those

He was a judge in Cuba, came here in 68 and worked his butt off bagging groceries to bring his 4 grandchildren to the USA to give them a better life

sorry that's what always comes to mind when I see 1969
                        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• levyguy
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 4, 2009

Those pictures bring back great memories! I had a lot of fun with Major Matt Mason. I remember tying the string for the Reconojet to my house and across the yard to a tree. It was so much fun watching it glide across with MMM!
                          The jet pack worked the same way- it was fun! I had the Space Crawler ( I was so happy my Mom and Dad got that for me! I still have the orignal box!!!) and my brother had Sgt. Storm and the Astro Trac, Uni-Tred and Space Bubble! I also had Doug Davis, Jeff Long and the Rocket Launcher set!
                          I remember sending for the Hot Wheels Collectors Club Kit and getting that great Silver Boss Hoss!
                          I even had that talking Ken!
                          My Dad threw most of my toys away when we moved when I was 13 (including my Captain Action and Gi Joe collections and alot of other great 60's toys-so many great toys came out in the 60's,) but I have been lucky enough to get many of them back as an adult!
                          Thank you for sharing that catalog with us Brian!

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                            To Fear is Not Logical...
                            • Feb 17, 2008

I wish they had those hot wheels sets like that now. I think every kid in the neighborhood had the little station to push them around on the track.

I have some MMM stuff that was my brothers at first I have that "supernaught" limbs attachment and a MMM with a taped up arm. I never realized that the different color suits had different names. My cousin had the "doug" one then while I had "Matt."
                            It's all good!

Comment

• ctc
                              Fear the monkeybat!
                              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Matt Mason is one of those things that really tempts me. Neat stuff, a bit before my time. I had that exo-frame though, and used it with Mego Kirk. I'm always tempted to make some custom 8" MMM stuff.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎