PDA

View Full Version : What Monster Films Do You Watch At Halloween?

ramsey37
Sep 18, '07, 12:19 AM
Ha, first post! ;)
So, what monster/horror films do you like to watch for the Halloween season? I'm a classics fan personally, so I'll probably do a marathon Universal/Hammer selection again this year, with some zombie horror thrown into the mix for good measure. I just noticed that "Return of the Living Dead" is out on DVD this month, so I need to score a copy of that one for sure.
George:feiertag-smiley-003

jwyblejr
Sep 18, '07, 12:55 AM
I try to always watch Army of Darkness if someone airs it. I'm hoping that new channel on DirecTv called Chiller runs a good marathon.

DocDrako
Sep 18, '07, 1:13 AM
I'm currently planning a 31 day Halloween Film-Fest. I have quite a list of DVDs to choose from, and I haven't decided on which movies to watch on which days. Or is that "witch" days? Haha! You know, sometimes I "amuse" even myself. Some of the movies create more laughs than scares, but oh well...it's all in fun.

Ants
Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo
Stephen King's Rose Red
Stephen King's It
The Thing
The Haunting of Hill House
The House On Haunted Hill
The Haunting
The Bat
Bram Stoker's Dracula
The Creature From The Black Lagoon
Revenge Of The Creature
The Creature Walks Among Us
The Mummy (1932)
The Mummy's Hand
The Mummy's Tomb
The Mummy's Ghost
The Mummy's Curse
The Mummy (modern version)
The Mummy Returns
Poltergeist
Night Of The Living Dead
Dawn Of The Dead
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army Of Darkness
The Last Man On Earth
The Fly (1986)
The Fly 2 (1989)
Lost Voyage
The Fog (original version)
Van Helsing
Resident Evil
Willard (new version)
Halloween
Sleepy Hollow
Creepshow
Creepshow 2
Friday The 13th
Friday The 13th Part 2
Underworld
The Blair Thumb
Frankenthumb
Buffy The Vampire Slayer

I still need some classic Universal Studios horror films like "Dracula", "Frankenstein", and "The Wolf Man", and I'd also like to get "The People Under The Stairs", "Day Of The Dead" and "Halloween II" for my collection, not to mention a cornucopia of other horror films!

:terror:

ramsey37
Sep 18, '07, 2:00 AM
The Universal Legacy sets are a great way to pick up all of the classic Universal monsters fairly reasonably. I got all of them back when they came out a few years ago. Some of the sequels are kinda lackluster, but the sets are worth getting since they include several fairly obscure titles.
George

Meule
Sep 18, '07, 3:29 AM
Ha, first post! ;)
So, what monster/horror films do you like to watch for the Halloween season? I'm a classics fan personally, so I'll probably do a marathon Universal/Hammer selection again this year, with some zombie horror thrown into the mix for good measure. I just noticed that "Return of the Living Dead" is out on DVD this month, so I need to score a copy of that one for sure.
George:feiertag-smiley-003

This is pretty much what's on my list. I'm sucker for the classics and both my girlfriend and I love zombie movies. :feiertag-smiley-018 :skull: :feiertag-smiley-009

Oh, and thanks to whoever created the Monster Movie Roundtable subforum :hokay:
But a better name would've been Dungeon of Terror or something like that

And may I suggest this as forum header
http://www.monsterwax.com/universal.jpg

thunderbolt
Sep 18, '07, 3:49 AM
Karloff Frankensteins and some assorted z-movies like The Brainiac or Naschy Wolfman movies.

ramsey37
Sep 18, '07, 5:01 AM
I picked up a copy of The Brainiac a few years ago in Wal-Mart's bargain DVD bin. It was on a combo disc with two other low-grade films, one of which was a Naschy film. I never really got into Spanish horror films much. I remember that a TV station out of Nashville used to run alot of Mexican horror films on Saturday mornings/afternoons, which is where I saw The Brainiac in the first place. Gotta love that goofy mask they created for him ;)
George

The Toyroom
Sep 18, '07, 6:04 AM
Probably will dig out the DVDs of the Universal Frankenstein series, Halloween, Psycho, Plan 9 from Outer Space, Mad Monster Party, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown,The Exorcist...

Merlyn1976
Sep 18, '07, 7:25 AM
Anything Werewolf related from Chaney's Werewolf to the Howling series....

MegoGeek
Sep 18, '07, 8:49 AM
Mad Monster Party
Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein
Three Stooges Spook Louder
Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Disney animated

palitoy
Sep 18, '07, 11:28 AM
Oh, and thanks to whoever created the Monster Movie Roundtable subforum
But a better name would've been Dungeon of Terror or something like that

I almost called it "Count Blah's Castle of Terror" but thought it too wordy, I always use monster movie as a catch all, so there you go.

As for Halloween, i still enjoy the same stuff Channel 2 used to play when I was kid:

War of the Gargantuas
Frankenstein Conquered the World
Teenage Frankenstein
Evil of Frankenstein
Mad Monster Party

In fact, I think this Halloween I'll buy MMP for my kids.

toys2cool
Sep 18, '07, 11:36 AM
I love to watch anything scary man,like the Omen,zombie flicks,Halloween's and all that cool stuff :grin:

kingdom warrior
Sep 18, '07, 7:34 PM
All the Classics for the family plus Abbott and Costello Mad Monster party and Zombie flicks for my late night viewing.......

fallensaviour
Sep 18, '07, 8:19 PM
Ooh,I like to star of kinda light humoured and then build my way up.
abbott and costello meet anything.
walt disney halloween specials(Mickey,goofy,donald)
dracula
frankenstein
the wolfman
Halloween I,II,III,IV,V,VI/H20 whatever
Friday the 13th 1 thru X
Elm street 1-7
Leprachaun 1-3
evil dead 1-3(army of darkness)
Buffy or Angel tv series(on dvd)
and follow it all up with Zombie goodness;
Night of the living dead(romero followed by 90's)
dawn of the dead
day of the dead
return of the living dead 1,2,3,4,5
undead
Lastly to end it all Shaun of the Dead. :smiley1:

batmanmc
Sep 18, '07, 9:43 PM
i usualy watch the travel station for a hauntings marathon. mike

Goblin19
Sep 18, '07, 9:55 PM
I try to watch a couple of Hammer movies and maybe the orignal The Haunting. Sometimes, I'll even go for the obvious: Halloween.

Werewolf
Sep 18, '07, 11:37 PM
Dracula 1931
Dracula 1979
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
The Wolf Man
Creature from the Black Lagoon
White Zombie

I almost forgot

The Carnival of Souls

HardyGirl
Sep 19, '07, 11:57 AM
American Gothic (the series)
Strays
Carrie
Sleepy Hollow
Vincent Price flicks
William Castle movies:feiertag-smiley-009

Earth 2 Chris
Sep 19, '07, 12:38 PM
In addition to the Universal and Hammer flicks, I like all versions of Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Burton's took major liberties, but it's still Halloweeny-fun. And I still love the Disney short!!!

Chris

gman
Sep 19, '07, 4:45 PM
On Halloween at our house -- after we Trick-or-Treat we watch The Brain that Wouldn't Die or House on Haunted Hill with the lights off and candles lit.. Sounds Hokey but so are the movies.

The Sentry
Sep 24, '07, 10:57 AM
John Carpenter and George A. Romero movies and assorted zombie and grindhouse films, the same stuff I watch year around.:grin:

isaacbradly
Oct 28, '14, 11:25 PM
I like to watch Dracula or Vampire's movie

MIB41
Oct 29, '14, 5:42 AM
We watch Universal Monster movies all month, but closer to the time it becomes the Michael Myers show. Halloween ('78) and Halloween II ('81) are staples at our house.

ubermanx
Oct 29, '14, 7:04 AM
Tonight my daughter and I are going to the local movie plex to see the classic Wolfman & Mummy in a hidef, popcorn filled double feature.

It's going to be so cool to see these classics on the big screen.

- Marty

Earth 2 Chris
Oct 29, '14, 7:19 AM
Tonight my daughter and I are going to the local movie plex to see the classic Wolfman & Mummy in a hidef, popcorn filled double feature.

It's going to be so cool to see these classics on the big screen.

I am so insanely jealous of you. I'd love to see these, esp. The Wolf Man on the big screen.

We've been going at it since September, partially for our podcasts, partially for fun. I still need to squeak in some more before the weekend is over. Trick or Treat here was moved to Nov. 1st due to a high school football game, so I'm going to count Saturday as extended Halloween and make it a movie marathon day.

The boy and I are going to a local production of Dracula Friday night. The reviews of earlier shows have been really good!

Chris

madmarva
Oct 29, '14, 11:16 AM
I watched the first season of Penny Dreadful a couple of weeks ago. It's really good.

Last week I watched all the Harry Potter movies.

I may check out Wolves on VOD this week. It's supposed to open in theaters in November. Missed the mark by a month in my opinion.

Turner Classics is showing a lot of horror films this week. I'm bound to catch a few of them.

Earth 2 Chris
Oct 29, '14, 2:35 PM
^Damn Dish/Turner feud has screwed me out of tons of great horror flicks. I'm really bummed by this.

Chris

kerowack
Oct 29, '14, 5:00 PM
We watch Universal Monster movies all month, but closer to the time it becomes the Michael Myers show. Halloween ('78) and Halloween II ('81) are staples at our house.

Exactly.

torgospizza
Oct 29, '14, 7:11 PM
Well, this Halloween, I'm watching Santo y Blue Demon contra Dracula y El Hombre Lobo with my nephew. He just had back surgery a few weeks ago and needs to take it easy, so I thought I'd buy a couple lucha libre masks for us to keep with the theme. Usually, I just stick with Universal stuff. Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man's always a favorite.

thunderbolt
Oct 30, '14, 4:40 AM
CFTBL on blu ray. The movie brings back good memories of seeing it in 3D in Peoria for Halloween in the 70s

MIB41
Oct 30, '14, 6:32 AM
I am so insanely jealous of you. I'd love to see these, esp. The Wolf Man on the big screen.

We've been going at it since September, partially for our podcasts, partially for fun. I still need to squeak in some more before the weekend is over. Trick or Treat here was moved to Nov. 1st due to a high school football game, so I'm going to count Saturday as extended Halloween and make it a movie marathon day.

The boy and I are going to a local production of Dracula Friday night. The reviews of earlier shows have been really good!

Chris

Chris the Louisville Palace shows the Universal Monster movies on the big screen every year (usually in the summer). And the best part is the Palace is an old classic theater that includes balcony seating. This year my father-in-law and I watched Frankenstein. The place was packed out! You need to bring the whole family down next year and we'll make an evening of it!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.louisvillepalace.com%2Fsummer-movie-series&ei=riJSVLC1GIe9yQT50ILgCg&usg=AFQjCNGoRwVC_XFu7e5vTlB6f1COaFtJJg

Earth 2 Chris
Oct 30, '14, 6:53 AM
Holy cow! I had no idea. Okay, we're doing this next summer. Just remind me!

Chris

Hedji
Oct 30, '14, 8:48 AM
Off the top of my head, this is what I've viewed so far this October

Twins of Evil
Elvira's Haunted Hills
Halloween
Werewolf Shadow
Suspiria
Bride of ReAnimator
Army of Darkness
The Conjuring
Nightmare Before Christmas
Pumpkinhead
Silver Bullet
Creepshow

There's probably more, but that is what I've rotted my brain with so far.

palitoy
Oct 30, '14, 8:59 AM
Mad Monster Party
Dracula VS Frankenstein
Assignment Terror
At least one of the Blood Island films
A & C meet Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein

And both kids are joining me tonight to see the Mummy/Wolfman on the big screen.

Earth 2 Chris
Oct 30, '14, 9:35 AM
So far this extended Halloween Season...

Dracula A.D. 1972
The Satanic Rites of Dracula
Bride of Frankenstein
Horror of Dracula
The Wolf Man
The Monster Squad
Abbbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
The Mummy's Shroud
The House That Dripped Blood
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
House of Wax (original Price version)
The Time of Their Lives (Abbott and Costello ghost film)

I'm sure I'm missing something. Plan on having a blow-out this weekend, extending Halloween into Saturday, since our Trick-or-Treat is that night.

Chris

madmarva
Oct 30, '14, 9:39 AM
Not horror, but The Great Pumpkin is on ABC tonight.

tay666
Oct 30, '14, 10:53 AM
Chris the Louisville Palace shows the Universal Monster movies on the big screen every year (usually in the summer). And the best part is the Palace is an old classic theater that includes balcony seating. This year my father-in-law and I watched Frankenstein. The place was packed out! You need to bring the whole family down next year and we'll make an evening of it!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.louisvillepalace.com%2Fsummer-movie-series&ei=riJSVLC1GIe9yQT50ILgCg&usg=AFQjCNGoRwVC_XFu7e5vTlB6f1COaFtJJg

For a minute there, I thought that might have been the theater I was at. But I checked, and it was the Baxter Avenue theater that I watched 7th Voyage of Sinbad with Ray Harryhausen. This was back in 03 and part of the Wonderfest convention.

Wish we had something like that around here to see the old classics. But the only thing in the whole county, is the 6 screen at the mall.

JediJaida
Oct 30, '14, 4:11 PM
Horror Express.

Okay, it tanked in Spain, but in other countries, it was a modest success.

Very claustrophobic and spooky; the monster was very well done, and was not what it seemed. The special effects, while minimal, were very well done for technology that was available in the 70's.

The gore was at a minimum too, but unforgettable.

It's one of those movies you HAVE to watch multiple times! As a kid, every time I saw this, I had nightmares.

Yet, I couldn't STOP watching it when it was on!

Gorn Captain
Oct 31, '14, 11:13 AM
The Fright Night remake is on tonight.
Haven't seen it yet.

fallensaviour
Oct 31, '14, 9:28 PM
So far In October I've watched ;
Trick or treat
Night of the creeps
Bride of Frankenstein
Frankenstein
The fly (Vincent price)
Evil dead 2
Army of darkness
Walking dead
The dead
The dead 2
Exit humanity
Hotel Transylvania
Horde
Eight legged freaks
Notld 90's version
Shaun of the dead

TomStrong
Oct 31, '14, 9:40 PM
Horror Express.

Okay, it tanked in Spain, but in other countries, it was a modest success.

Very claustrophobic and spooky; the monster was very well done, and was not what it seemed. The special effects, while minimal, were very well done for technology that was available in the 70's.

The gore was at a minimum too, but unforgettable.

It's one of those movies you HAVE to watch multiple times! As a kid, every time I saw this, I had nightmares.

Yet, I couldn't STOP watching it when it was on!

I liked that one too!

Werewolf
Oct 31, '14, 11:18 PM
Gargoyles. Terrific made for TV movie from 1973 with early Stan Winston creature effects. Still holds up. Very spooky and atmospheric.

Gorn Captain
Nov 1, '14, 6:24 AM
Spent Halloween evening with:
The Addams family (TV series)
Drag me to Hell.
Splice.

Earth 2 Chris
Nov 1, '14, 8:09 AM
Added a few over the past couple of days:

Halloween (the original)
Curse of the Werewolf
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
The Haunted Mansion (family viewing with the kids)

I really need to watch Horror Express. I have it on one of those huge horror box sets.

Chris

kingdom warrior
Nov 1, '14, 9:56 AM
I stick to the Universal classics after we got home from the parties, We sat down and watched Mad Monster party? and Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein....:)

Hedji
Nov 1, '14, 10:16 AM
I love Mad Monster Party, but I always feel like it is in need of an edit. It's wonderful designs and voices hampered by pacing and direction.

kingdom warrior
Nov 1, '14, 10:46 AM
Yes it does...I think there was a discussion about that in a thread. A TV edit where they trim out a few scenes could bring it down to an hour....Phyllis Diller's musical scene really slows down the film a lot.

thunderbolt
Nov 1, '14, 1:18 PM
Hypnotic Eye specials and Black Sabbath and Santos vs Dracula and Hombre Lobo

Hedji
Nov 1, '14, 1:45 PM
^yup... Black Sabbath.. I watch it every Halloween. That is one gorgeous looking film. I love colorful movies like that, Creepshow, Suspiria... I really respond to the color palettes.

HardyGirl
Nov 1, '14, 4:09 PM
Last night I watched The Thing That Couldn't Die, and the William Castle story.

Drzsmith
Nov 1, '14, 8:39 PM
We had a get together and gave 4 movie options Pieces,Ghostbusters,Return of the Living Dead and Spider baby.Watched Pieces and Return.

phil
Nov 11, '14, 10:44 PM
I watched Son of Frankenstein, House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula, Horror Express the Paul Naschy film Assignment: Terror and The Invisible Man.