X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fallensaviour
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 28, 2006

Star Trek:Year Four

New comic ST:Y4 from IDW publishing;anybody reading it?Your thoughts on it if you are.I've enjoyed the first two issues so far.The art is pretty good,storylines are pretty decent so far.For those who don't know;the comic takes place in the fourth year of the first five year mission.There are also appearances by characters from the animated series.There is also going to be a series of one shots about various aliens in the trek verse(Klingons was a five issue mini).Check it out says I.
    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

I read the first one and thought it was ok, havent been to the comic shop lately to pick up the others. I really like how they are going all out, trying to make it "feel" like an actual episode.

The Blood Will Tell Klingon mini-series is pretty good too.

I've seen some promo shots of the one shots -Romulans, Gorn, and Andorians, and they seem to follow in the same vein. Overall, I would say IDW is doing a bang up job with the Trek license.
    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• LordMalvolio
      • Sep 5, 2007

Well, I have read the first two, and while they are OK, they could be LOT'S better. For one thing, they are too sparse with action and narrations. Sometimes, they jump from scene to scene with no explaination and are left wondering why. Also, the pacing is pretty rushed and seems forced to be jammed into the 20 or so pages, trying to quickly tie up the "episode", usually in a very quick and basic way. (read: boring) Also, the lack of Captain's Log's call out boxes are missing, which usually kept the viewer up to speed on what was happening, even happening in third person on the show. Artwork is barely decent, with Kirk froze in his smile pose, Spock in his fasinating pose and McCoy in his frowning pose. Art boxes either contain light backgorund or no background at all, and there is a lot of wasted space here. To little information background is given for these adventures, and seem to happen inbetween the "real" adventures. (meaning, they aren't all that big of a deal) maybe this series should have been called: "Star Trek: The Minor Missions".

Still I am happy to have some TOS stories, even if they are "meatless", and good for a 10 minute read. I really wish they would use the rest of the book to devote to the story instead of pages and pages of this 30 Days of Night crap...
      Last edited by LordMalvolio; Oct 1, '07, 6:17 PM.

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

I've finished the second and find them still okay.I would like to see a story"episode if you will" take at least two books to complete.I find the art decent ;I had to look at keith giffens crap on the old Hex series so unless it looks like that I'll keep on getting them.
        Makes for a good read and still looking forward to seeing this book develop.
        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
          Pat Troughton in disguise
          • Nov 21, 2007

I quite like the alien spotlight series...the vulcan one was nice..it was good to see Captain Pike. Is nice to see they are not concentrating on one series in particular. Year Four is ok but i'd like to see some of the stories spread over 2 issues maybe...as it seems to wrap up the storyline to quickly in the last couple of pages. I understand that it is meant to be like the tv series in format but comics as a medium is too short for 1 issue stories.
          Art is ok on both series and the Klingon mini did well to tie in some classic trek klingon stories...hope the titles continue.
          ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎