X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkmonkeygod
    Career Member
    • Sep 5, 2005

1973 Mego insert catalog from Spain

These photos were sent to me from a seller in Spain and described as "original 1973 catalog". I've seen the ads for Mego figures and vehicles on the backs of Spanish comics posted in the museum, but not this. Anyone know anything about how Megos were packaged in Spain? My assumption is that this catalog came with them, but I'd love to know if the boxes (or possibly cards) differ from the US releases.

The size of the catalog (closed) is reported as 11 by 7 cm, roughly 4 1/3 x 2 3/4 inches.

Enjoy,

Shannon
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

that's a neat catalog Shannon,don't think I've ever seen that one
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• megoscott
      Founding Partner
      • Nov 17, 2006

That's the first I've seen of something like that and it's FANTASTIC. Wow, I love the painted cowboys. Did you buy it?

I don't know that we've seen much in the way of packaging from Spain. Thanks for sharing!
      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• batmanmc
        mego batman collector
        • Jun 22, 2004

never saw it. its cool. would like some of the carded collectors to let us know how spain packaging looked.

Comment

• JDeRouen
          Author of Small Things
          • Jun 14, 2001

I have one of those, and showed it to Brian at Mego Meet. Tried to show it to you too, Scott, but I think you were busy with something.

Also have a little slip of paper from Spain that let you send it in to get a poster of Mego super heroes or some such.
          --
          Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• Hulk
            Mayor of Megoville
            • May 10, 2003

Very cool find. That would be a great addition to Brian's ForeignMego.com (which is always worth a good long look for people who may not have seen it before).

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

That's really cool. How many pages is it? Does it cover any lines besides the Mad Monsters, American West and Pirates?

Comment

• kresge1
                Museum_Bozo
                • Jun 20, 2001

Thats a great insert .Thanks for showing it to us
                Vinny
                Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

This is the only Spanish packaging I've seen, I've often wondered if this type of box carried over to the other lines.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• batmanmc
                    mego batman collector
                    • Jun 22, 2004

thanks for the ;link hulk it was great reading and palitoy that packaing reminds me of a fonzie box so i wouldnt be surprised if they did the wgsh or others like that.

Comment

• imp
                      Mego Book Author
                      • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by JDeRouen
                      I have one of those, and showed it to Brian at Mego Meet. Tried to show it to you too, Scott, but I think you were busy with something.

Also have a little slip of paper from Spain that let you send it in to get a poster of Mego super heroes or some such.
                      The catalog I have is not from Spain, although — based on the comments above — it seems to have been issued there as well. I'd be very interested in seeing the Spanish address listed on the Poster Giveaway. I'd also like to see what it says on the bottom of the back cover. Joe, can you post scans?

The catalog I have was issued by "Valle y Cia," promoting Mego toys available for distribution in South and Central America.

The back of the catalog (below) reads, "Distribuido por: VALLE y CIA., S. en C." The initials stand for "South" and "Central" (America).

I'd love to understand the apparent connection between Europe and South America.

It's quite possible that the catalog is generic, originating in Spain even, allowing other distributors in other territories (e.g. Valle y Cia in South America) to print their own identification on the back cover. Perhaps Joe's version features a different distributor and/or manufacturer, which would shed some more light on the mystery.

Benjamin

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

There seems to be some crossover with Mexico and Spain with Big Jim, so it's possible there was a similiar connection here.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by batmanmc
                          thanks for the ;link hulk it was great reading and palitoy that packaing reminds me of a fonzie box so i wouldnt be surprised if they did the wgsh or others like that.
                          me either, I'd love to track one down someday.

Comment

• megozilla13
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 10, 2002

I don't think S. en C. stands for South and Central America. They would never use that abbreviation just like you would never abbreviate USA as "U" and most importantly the word "en" in spanish translates to "on" or "in". It never translates to "and". There is no telling from the word choice used what country it comes from. The word "grandes" is missing an accent which in proper spanish is considered the same as the word being misspelled. Again that doesn't help. Valle and Cia sounds like the last name of two people but both can be found on both continents. The only pota ape advertised is the soldier ape which coincidently was the only one released in Spain and Galahad is missing from the knights set just as he was in Germany. My guess is that its from Spain.

mikej
                            WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• ABMAC
                              User
                              • May 16, 2002

S. en C. stands for "sociedad en comandita," which means "limited partnership."

Valle y Cia, S. en C. basically translates to Valle and Company, LLC.
                              Last edited by ABMAC; Sep 17, '07, 8:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎