Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rextasy
    • Apr 25, 2010

Kenner Alien repair

Does anyone have any experience with repairing the rubber bands that hold the arms on the 1979 Kenner Alien, or know of someone who does it?

Thanks.
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Anyone know where I can get a repro Dome and tongue?
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

hiya rex,

I have put a couple of Aliens back together. Shoot me a pm and let me know what you are looking to do. -rche

Comment

• User897
        • Jul 2, 2012

Thanks to rche for putting the idea in my head on how to fix my Alien! I used a stretchy piece of string from T-shirt material, and a diaper pin. I put a small piece of duct tape around the pin to prevent scratching and to hold the string from sliding. It took a few tries, but the Big Chap is now back to it's former glory.

Comment

• User897
          • Jul 2, 2012

I should have taken pictures or did a how-to video. Argh.

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 20, 2008

Ever find a replacement dome?

Sean

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

There used to be a seller on ebay who used the handle Oldwell45 who sold Aliens with repro parts. I would stay clear of that fellow, as he also tended to not mention that the parts were reproduction.

Comment

• User897
                • Jul 2, 2012

Tim Oei makes repro domes. They're a bit pricey, but he claims they "fit" better than the original. The arm on my ALIEN came out again after I snapped some pictures. I think this time I am going to try and find a rubber washer to squeeze into the arm.

Comment

• Den82
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 17, 2011

Originally posted by User897
                  Tim Oei makes repro domes. They're a bit pricey, but he claims they "fit" better than the original. The arm on my ALIEN came out again after I snapped some pictures. I think this time I am going to try and find a rubber washer to squeeze into the arm.
                  I got one today. Is it common for there to be a little spacing along the arms (going down)? One one arm, there is some spacing more than the other and the hand is a bit loose. Trying to figure out if it's been glued or not. Also looks like some glue on the head, but in a place where it doesn't seem like it would break. My guess is it's a chemical reaction from the two different types of plastic (the figure and the dome).

Comment

• User897
                    • Jul 2, 2012

In my experience with this figure, the seams themselves are not glued. There are little posts inside where glue was applied at the factory and then the arms were pressed together. So, depending on what happened to it in the factory, then how it was handled since 1979 if it was opened, there's just no telling. Toys weren't made for collectibilty back then, and it shows today by how many of us are trying to preserve them. This is the 4th ALIEN I have owned, and it was sealed in the box. On the 1,600 mile journey to my new home, the right arm joint broke. It happens, it's rubber. I hadn't planned on opening the toy, but the arm forced my hand, so to speak. The first attempt at repair turned out to be a failure, but I have an idea on how to approach it next. I just have to get to the hardware store.

Comment

• Den82
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 17, 2011

I took some pics.

I really can't tell if it's been glued, but you see the separation? There is enough space to where the hand is a little loose. Maybe it happened naturally, but I am not sure.

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I remember the one I had as a kid had some rough seams like that. The pushed in part near the wrist looks like a break though.

Don C.

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

looks like someone stuck a screwdriver in there to pry the arm apart for some reason. Perhaps to repair the elastic, or replace a hand???? Who knows.

Comment

• Den82
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 17, 2011

Aside from that, he is in pretty great shape, especially considering it's over 33 years old now. My guess (hope) is that it's just a natural thing. I heard plastic does weird things over time.

Comment

• User897
                              • Jul 2, 2012

It looks like a failed attempt at a repair to me. I'm lucky with the seams on mine, which is part of the reason why I am trying to avoid selling it for someone else to deal with the arm. Aside from that, it is perfect, since I am the one that opened it after so many years.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎