X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Colouring Book Theatre: Country Music Wax Museum

Today we have another guest colouring book review, this time from Rex who brings us possibly the weirdest colouring book I've ever seen. As souveniers go, this one almost seems to punish you for visiting. Bless you Rex and take it away...
    Country Music Wax Museum"
    World-famous Madame Tussauds wax museum offers audiences a chance to examine expertly-crafted likenesses of such expertly-crafted luminaries as Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. Once upon a time, a dingy out-of-the-way storefront in Nashville, Tennessee similarly presented tourists with slapdash paraffin effegies of fading country music stars like Conway Twitty and Grandpa Jones. Though sadly gone, the Country Music Wax Museum lives on in an aptly bizarre coloring book that looks like it was illustrated traced by a particularly talentless 5th grader.

Here’s George D. Hay, best known as the inspiration for the schoolmaster in Pink Floyd’s The Wall, alongside Uncle Dave Macon, who’s either playing the banjo until his fingers bleed or enduring epic constipation.

Hank Williams sings the lonesome blues. Or maybe he’s singing about the horrors of tertiary syphilis.

Can you connect the dots to discover what Cousin Minnie has by her left side? Hint: It’s the same thing she has by her right side.

June Carter is a male impersonator. Husband Johnny Cash is concerned that he’s just now noticing this. (Editor's note: I pity the human being who thought woman looked like this)

Country music audiences of the 1960s were surprised to learn that white-sounding singer Charley Pride was actually African-American.
    Charley looks a bit shocked himself here, as he learns that he’s also an albino.

Loretta Lynn is the most feminine-looking woman to grace these pages. And yes, that is a relative distinction.

At Madame Tussaud’s, you might see Elvis in his classic gold lamé or black leather. Here we have Country Elvis, wearing a ‘70s prom tux and looking like he’s just about to break into a conservative but definite hip-swivel. You can tell it’s Elvis from the signature curling of…uh…that oval shape where his lips would be.

Thoughtfully concluding this unique keepsake memento is a map to the museum--in case you’ve forgotten how to get to where you’ve just gone to. Road closed…bridge out…tree across road…the attention to detail is impeccable

I cannot thanks Rex enough for bringing us this horror, it almost makes Dune and Tuffy Tooth look entertaining by comparision...

Previously reviewed Colouring Books
    If you have a colouring book you'd like to guest review, I'd like to hear from you!

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

That was hysterical! Love the review!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

that cover gives me the creeps
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Weird, that's all. Just weird.
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• megoscott
          Founding Partner
          • Nov 17, 2006

Wow, that's pretty bad...
          This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

When Rex first contacted me, he wanted to review a star trek colouring book but we'd already done it. He then said something to the effect of "I have another but it's really terrible".

I'm really glad I enquired further, this thing is just...incredible.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Whoah...that is...awful. The subject matter is questionable, and the artwork is below what my 8 year old would produce.

And why not just have drawings of the artists themselves, and not copy the stiff wax statues? It's beyond creepy. The cover is indeed disturbing. It's a Twilight Zone waiting to happen.

But the write-up is hilarious!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

I gotta ask.....Can we see the Grandpa Jones page please?
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Rextasy
                  • Apr 25, 2010

Settle down, lads and lassies. Or I'll sic my Buck Owens coloring book on ya.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Oh my, we have much to discuss...
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

I've just finsihed my own coloring book called "The Mego Museum Thread About The Country Music Wax Museum." It features color-able pictures of everyone responding to this thread. Quite exciting for the kids!
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Rextasy
                        • Apr 25, 2010

Actually, I may have to regale you with this Buck Owens coloring book one of these days. I just got it out of storage, and it's more entertaining than I remember it being.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Actually, I may have to regale you with this Buck Owens coloring book one of these days. I just got it out of storage, and it's more entertaining than I remember it being.
                          Do you have the accompanying Roy Clark coloring book? Or perhaps, Junior Semple?

Nice avatar by the way. Welcome!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Rextasy
                            • Apr 25, 2010

Thanks, Chris.

Actually, I do have this:

It's really not a bad way to learn to play guitar, if you're not embarrassed to have little colored dots stuck all over the neck of your guitar.

Comment

• ScottA
                              Original Member
                              • Jun 25, 2001

I love it. I bet I can name everyone on the cover.
                              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎