View Full Version : Monster Tag Sale Finds! Herman Munster+ More

megoat
Sep 14, '07, 10:18 AM
Did OK at a tag sale this morning. Five bucks netted me these:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/cousinherb/monsters1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/cousinherb/monsters2.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/cousinherb/monsters3.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/cousinherb/monsters4.jpg

Best score was the '64 Herman Munster doll by Remco.

Does anybody know what the big inflatables are? They are marked Takara Japan. Not sure of the vintage but I'm thinking 70's or so.

Witch jiggler is groovy, too. Total 70's fun!

toys2cool
Sep 14, '07, 10:20 AM
wow what a great deal for $5! I've never seen those inflatables but they definitely look vintage and they look cool as hell too

ramsey37
Sep 14, '07, 8:21 PM
It's official: I hate you ;) A Marx Frankenstein, a Ben Cooper jiggler, *and* a Remco Herman Munster doll, plus the inflatables, for $5.00?! How come all I ever find at yard sales are stained baby clothes and broken Barbies?
George

batmanmc
Sep 14, '07, 9:14 PM
Did OK at a tag sale this morning. Five bucks netted me these:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/cousinherb/monsters1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/cousinherb/monsters2.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/cousinherb/monsters3.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/cousinherb/monsters4.jpg

Best score was the '64 Herman Munster doll by Remco.

Does anybody know what the big inflatables are? They are marked Takara Japan. Not sure of the vintage but I'm thinking 70's or so.

Witch jiggler is groovy, too. Total 70's fun!
wow great buy congrats

Count Creepyhead
Sep 15, '07, 3:55 PM
Congrats!! I'm jealous beyond words....

Those Takara inflatables are from the 60's and are SUPER SUPER SUPER RARE!!!!!
Beyond any kind of Mego rare..I'm talking rare!!

They made Frankie, Wolfman, Creature and Mummy.

You'd make a killing with those on Ebay.

batmanmc
Sep 15, '07, 4:13 PM
wow thats great to know if i ever see them (yeah right ) i better buy them. mike

Count Creepyhead
Sep 15, '07, 4:23 PM
I only know of one monster collector with all 4 so that should tell you how rare they are.

They are rare even by monster toy standards.

These are the type of deals toy collectors dream of. This would be a score of a lifetime for me.

toys2cool
Sep 15, '07, 4:23 PM
Congrats!! I'm jealous beyond words....

Those Takara inflatables are from the 60's and are SUPER SUPER SUPER RARE!!!!!
Beyond any kind of Mego rare..I'm talking rare!!

They made Frankie, Wolfman, Creature and Mummy.

You'd make a killing with those on Ebay.

How rare we talking about here? value wise? :grin:

Count Creepyhead
Sep 15, '07, 4:26 PM
Super Rare 60'smonster stuff..Lets just say the auction would be Very interesting to watch.:terror:

toys2cool
Sep 15, '07, 4:31 PM
Cool I'd love to see what they'd go for,but look so cool i don't think I'd sell them if they were mine

batmanmc
Sep 15, '07, 4:55 PM
they would e on ebay already if they were mine.

Bionic Joe
Sep 15, '07, 6:34 PM
Nice score, love the solid orange Frankenstien :drool_y:

Toy Ranch
Sep 15, '07, 8:03 PM
How rare we talking about here? value wise? :grin:

I'd send him $1000 right now for the pair, and he'd be a fool to take it.

darkmonkeygod
Sep 15, '07, 8:32 PM
Congrats! I've been looking for those Takara inflatables for 30 years, and I'm only 36! They are both very scarce. There's some debate about when they were made (most people say late 60s, but most people don't have them and other such toys from Takara - several different Ultra-Brothers - seem to have been produced in the early 70s).

They were made in two sizes, looks like you've got the large Creature and small Wolfman. The only Creature I've ever seen on ebay was in 2003 and closed early (a common malady for the Gillman). A Mummy from the same seller went for super cheap, but was listed only as "Mummy inflatable", and a Wolfman sold about 2 years ago for around $200. I think another Wolfman and Mummy popped up but were for a ridiculously low buy it now.

With the Creature, who knows? Creature collectors tend to be kinda nuts - I know 'cuz I am one (fortunately I got the majority of my stuff when I was young, I could never buy what I own at current ebay prices). I was offered a sealed in package (header card stapled to a bag) Creature in 1990 for $100 at a comics show and didn't have that kind of money - or pay that kind of money - then. I of course regret it now, but at the time I simply couldn't afford it then, plus the price was unheard of (so was the toy mind you). It eventually came out that the dealer selling it had a bidding war over it with another dealer because they both knew someone who they thought would pay big money for it - me! I'd priced myself out of the game by so avidly asking for and buying Creature items over the years! With the prices I've seen for some Creature items (especially from Japanese buyers), that could just as easily sell for $500 as it could for $1000 or who knows. You can never tell with the Creature. The Wolfman Id estimate in the $350 range, but again, on ebay who knows.

Again, congratulations on quite a find. Let us know if you decide to sell them.

Shannon

toys2cool
Sep 15, '07, 8:40 PM
I'd send him $1000 right now for the pair, and he'd be a fool to take it.

wow $1000 huh?? That's crazzzzyyy!! again great find man

batmanmc
Sep 15, '07, 9:02 PM
wow $1000 huh?? That's crazzzzyyy!! again great find man

not really when you see some prices of megos. to us its crazy because we dont collect those things. mike

toys2cool
Sep 15, '07, 9:21 PM
not really when you see some prices of megos. to us its crazy because we dont collect those things. mike

no I understand,I don't mean crazy like it's stupid to pay that,I mean crazy like WOW! :grin:

batmanmc
Sep 15, '07, 9:33 PM
no I understand,I don't mean crazy like it's stupid to pay that,I mean crazy like WOW! :grin:

im playing with you damian . i know . i wish these crazy priced things were in my yard sale finds.

megoat
Sep 16, '07, 7:04 PM
Wow guys, thanks for all the info! I thought those inflatables might be special. $1000 for the pair? Wow. Of course they will be for sale, I am not really a monster collector....

palitoy
Sep 17, '07, 1:51 PM
Wow, you really inspire me to hit those yard sales Matt.

lepage
Sep 18, '07, 6:19 AM
I have monsters HD through dish network. There is a segment that is hosted by Elvira called Monsterama. There was one segment that focused on "THE" Creature from the black lagoon collector. This guy owned just about every toy, model, ect. known to man. He also owned the original Ben Chapman hands and feet from the original screen used costume. Anyway, I remember them mentioning the inflatables and pointing out that they are among the rarest of the CFTBL items. If you put these up for auction, please post the link. It would be a fun auction to watch unfold.
Great score!

Dave

megoat
Sep 20, '07, 1:24 AM
How come all I ever find at yard sales are stained baby clothes and broken Barbies?
George

Believe you me, I go to 100 sales full of worn out tuperware, broken baby strollers and used Wal-Mart furniture before I find the good stuff.....

Persistence is the key. I've said it before and I'll say it again--If you go to 20 sales a week over 6 months yr bound to bump into something.

The sale I found this stuff in was an estate sale, but it was run more like a garage sale. I was the first in the basement, and was alone for at least 10 minutes and scooped all this stuff up (plus a bunch of other crud non toy related).....

palitoy
Sep 20, '07, 7:42 AM
So my father's addage of "The harder I work, the luckier I get" is real? Dang, I owe him an apology.....

Congrats again on your find Matt, those are really neat.

megoat
Sep 20, '07, 5:16 PM
In case anyone is interested, the inflatables are now currently listed on eBay:

1960's TAKARA Inflatable CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON - (eBay item 110172212240 end time Sep-30-07 15:12:33 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19196&item=110172212240)

Vintage 1960's TAKARA Inflatable WOLFMAN Monster Toy - (eBay item 110172213924 end time Sep-30-07 15:14:12 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19196&item=110172213924)

toys2cool
Sep 20, '07, 5:54 PM
In case anyone is interested, the inflatables are now currently listed on eBay:

1960's TAKARA Inflatable CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON - (eBay item 110172212240 end time Sep-30-07 15:12:33 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19196&item=110172212240)

Vintage 1960's TAKARA Inflatable WOLFMAN Monster Toy - (eBay item 110172213924 end time Sep-30-07 15:14:12 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19196&item=110172213924)

awesome man,let's see what that creature goes for,good luck dude:grin:

darkmonkeygod
Sep 21, '07, 1:03 AM
Thanks for posting them. It will be interesting to see where the prices end up.

Is the Takara information printed around the plug? Is it possible to take a photo of the plug so that it's legible? Thanks. Posted a photo that was floating around the monster boards of all four large size plus the smaller Mummy. I Believe they are from the collection of master monster collector Richard Olson. Enjoy.

Best,

Shannon

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1354/1417651306_10f6404f6a_o.jpg

SlipperyLilSuckers
Sep 21, '07, 4:52 AM
What a bargain...well done!

The Toyroom
Sep 21, '07, 7:14 AM
Nice score!

megoat
Sep 21, '07, 9:59 AM
Is the Takara information printed around the plug? Is it possible to take a photo of the so that it's legible?

Yeah Shannon, they info is around the plug. I tried to take a picture but two things got in the way--my camera ain't the best and my photography skills ain't the best!

Thanks for supplying the photo. They look beautiful as a set.

Have you ever seen a Frankie come up on ebay? Curious to know what he goes for. Would you say Creech is the most desired piece of the set?

matt

toys2cool
Sep 21, '07, 10:10 AM
Thanks for posting them. It will be interesting to see what the prices end at.

Is the Takara information printed around the plug? Is it possible to take a photo of the so that it's legible? Thanks. Posted a photo that was floating around the monster boards of all four large size blus the smaller Mummy. I Believe they are from the collection of master monster collector Richard Olson. Enjoy.

Best,

Shannon

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1354/1417651306_10f6404f6a_o.jpg

awesome pic Shannon,every time I see these things I want one more & more

batmanmc
Sep 21, '07, 10:29 PM
those are awesome. good luck with the auctions mego

toys2cool
Sep 21, '07, 11:12 PM
something tells me I won't stand a chance of getting that creature :bleh:

darkmonkeygod
Sep 22, '07, 6:43 AM
[the] info is around the plug. I tried to take a picture but two things got in the way--my camera ain't the best and my photography skills ain't the best!

I typically suffer the same dilemma. Would you mind transcribing verbatim the printing around the plug? Also, if the opportunity arises, I'd really dig seeing a photo.

Thanks for supplying the photo. They look beautiful as a set.

I'm delighted to have the photo myself. Just to be clear, the picture came from a link posted on the Universal Monster Army yahoo message board a few years back, and I'm pretty sure it is from Richard Olson's collection. The UMA board has an incredible archive of photos and, while not exclusively focused on toys, is populated a number of very friendly experts on monsters, who are often willing to share their knowledge. It also has members like me - so it's not all good people, just so you know. :wink_y:

Have you ever seen a Frankie come up on ebay? Curious to know what he goes for.

I've never heard of a Frankenstein's Monster changing hands, especially not on ebay. In the world of eBay, the sky's the limit on prices. I've done professional appraisal as part of collectible stores I've been affiliated with in the past and I browse ebay regularly, and am constantly amazed at the wide variance in selling price on many items. That said, what I think the Frank is worth and what it would bring are two different things. I think a 22" sample in similar condition to your Creature would be in the $400 to $600 range, but seeing it close for $2000 would not shock me, as monster collectors are passionate about their hobby and there are a couple of high rollers in the community.

I'm only aware of a couple of 22" Frankenstein's in people's collections, and those only via the UMA board. That probably has something to do with keeping some info close to the vest to help limit prices on the part of many collectors. People are less inclined to spend more on something they aren't sure on the origins of, and these Takara toys are obscure. I know my rather liberal dissemination of information has upwardly effected prices on many items I still don't own.

I currently know of only one set of packaged samples from this series, and those belong to Bob "Mr. Monster" Morris - a world class collector and, incidentally, owner of the taxidermied Polar Bear featured in the Addams Family television show. Sure do wish I'd bought the one offered me in 1991.

More later, this post is already looooooong,

Shannon

ramsey37
Sep 22, '07, 8:02 AM
This goes to show what I know, I was more excited about the Remco Herman Munster than the inflatables ;) I know I've seen a pic of the Creature somewhere online, but beyond that I knew absolutely nothing about them. Thanks for sharing your knowledge :)
George

palitoy
Sep 30, '07, 5:16 PM
Wow, that was fun to watch. The Japanese strike again, congrats Matt!

EmergencyIan
Sep 30, '07, 5:34 PM
Spend $5 and flip it into $1398. Priceless :yes:

Big congrats, Matt!

- Ian

toys2cool
Sep 30, '07, 5:41 PM
congrats bro,sweet flip :grin: $1400 sound pretty darn good

megoat
Sep 30, '07, 7:17 PM
Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy with the end result. I was sweatin' it out, though. Lots of action in the last seconds.

And for the record, the inflatables cost me three dollars, not five. :wink:

The remaining bits of my 5 dollar total investment have yet to be auctioned! (I think I may keep the Herman Munster)......

Sowth
Sep 30, '07, 7:38 PM
Wow! Congrats on those.

You'll have to buy that under-bidder on the Creature a beer if you ever run into him. It only takes two to make an auction doesn't it? :yes:

Cheers,
Will

ramsey37
Oct 1, '07, 2:34 AM
The end price on the Creature isn't surprising. Amongst monster collectors, Creature fans usually are the most willing to fight to the death for a piece they don't have yet. Congrats, and I still hate you ;)
George