Permanent Member
    • Nov 4, 2007

Hi Def Question

whats the difference between 1080i and 1080p
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

A post on CNet

1080i, the former king of the HDTV hill, actually boasts an identical 1,920x1,080 resolution but conveys the images in an interlaced format (the i in 1080i). In a tube-based television, otherwise known as a CRT, 1080i sources get "painted" on the screen sequentially: the odd-numbered lines of resolution appear on your screen first, followed by the even-numbered lines--all within 1/30 of a second. Progressive-scan formats such as 480p, 720p, and 1080p convey all of the lines of resolution sequentially in a single pass, which makes for a smoother, cleaner image, especially with sports and other motion-intensive content. As opposed to tubes, microdisplays (DLP, LCoS, and LCD rear-projection) and other fixed-pixel TVs, including plasma and LCD flat-panel, are inherently progressive in nature, so when the incoming source is interlaced, as 1080i is, they convert it to progressive scan for display.

Comment

• megoapesnut
      The name says it all!
      • Dec 3, 2007

Translated to English - 1080P will give you a better picture than 1080i, but it might be hard to detect on anything other than the better displays. And even then some people might not notice it unless the effects are pointed out. Any videophile will see it immediately, but the average person might never see it. I know some people who can't tell the difference between Hi Def and Standard Def

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by megoapesnut
        ......... I know some people who can't tell the difference between Hi Def and Standard Def

That's me.

To me HD is regular TV with the contrast turned up to the headache level.

Comment

• megoapesnut
          The name says it all!
          • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by Mikey01
          That's me.

To me HD is regular TV with the contrast turned up to the headache level.

Comment

• rchatlin
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 24, 2001

Most HD broadcasts are 1080i, and will remain so for a while longer.
            As of now, only Blu-Ray, and I think some of the video games are 1080p.

If you're buying a new set, make sure it is 1080p, just to future proof it as long as possible.

r
            o
            b

Comment

• Zemo
              Still Smokin'
              • Feb 14, 2006

Originally posted by megoapesnut
              Translated to English - 1080P will give you a better picture than 1080i, but it might be hard to detect on anything other than the better displays. And even then some people might not notice it unless the effects are pointed out. Any videophile will see it immediately, but the average person might never see it. I know some people who can't tell the difference between Hi Def and Standard Def
              Yep and it also depends on the size of the screen. 1080i and 720p are great and there basically giving these away now.

Comment

• jimbutsu
                Memory *is* RAM!
                • Apr 11, 2002

It definitely depends on the size of the screen. On a smaller display (let's say less than 40 inches) it's unlikely you'd ever be able to tell the difference between 1080p and i and (maybe) 720p. But if you did go with a 1080i or 720p set, you'd want to make sure it could accept a 1080p signal in order to future proof. Of course, most anything that can handle a 1080p signal displays 1080p anyway, so it might be a moot point!
                "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎