X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Bloody foreign volcanoes!!!

As you might know, the Icelandic volcano has grounded all European flights due to possible engine failure caused by the dust.
    Many tourist are stranded (we're talking weeks), but more importantly, I'm not getting my stuff either!!!
    It could take up to a month before traffic is back to normal, with everything back-logged.

I hate it when my life gets messed up by volcanic activity!!!!!
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I thought it was in Ireland ?

Comment

• English Paul
      Archive cased.
      • Aug 17, 2005

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
      ........but more importantly, I'm not getting my stuff either!!!
      ........with everything back-logged.
      You know, it never occured to me that the mail won't be getting through either. A bad time to have stuff in transit.
      I can expect us to get pretty busy at work with foreign packages once the ban is lifted.
      "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

• English Paul
        Archive cased.
        • Aug 17, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey01
        I thought it was in Ireland ?
        It's affecting most of Northern Europe.
        "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

If it's that bad i'm surprised some of it hasn't blew across the Atlantic and hit Canada/United States by now.

The Atlantic ocean isn't really all that big (wide) on a gobal scale.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

People are stranded everywhere, waiting to come back home.
            Just hanging out in the airport terminals for two weeks.

And somewhere out there, is my Mego Iron Man chest button.
            I keep telling IM to be patient, but all is hear is "Is it here yet? Did you check the mail? How am I supposed to fight The Mandarin without my chest button?"

Give it a rest, Downey Jr....
            We're all hurting here....
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• English Paul
              Archive cased.
              • Aug 17, 2005

Apparently we are not experiencing seasonal weather conditions which would normally disperse the dust northwards over the artic, but high pressure is bringing it south, hence all the problems.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

If it's that bad i'm surprised some of it hasn't blew across the Atlantic and hit Canada/United States by now.

The Atlantic ocean isn't really all that big (wide) on a gobal scale.
                I think you'll still get some residual effects. Maybe the weather being affected. I'm sure Roland Emmerich will be writing a script about it as we speak....

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by English Paul
                  Apparently we are not experiencing seasonal weather conditions which would normally disperse the dust northwards over the artic, but high pressure is bringing it south, hence all the problems.
                  I suppose farting in the general direction of Iceland won't help much?

Comment

• toystalker
                    none
                    • Mar 27, 2008

i got family living out portugal... they been out of work since the uk / euro air strikes

they rely on tourism... theres no one coming and no one going... the ones not going have not got any more holiday money to spend and what money they may have they have tried other means to get home

its looking real bad for them. they only work 6 months of the seasonal year as it is due to tourism... this has hit them hard

also yeah the goods are not going out either... i got a stock pile of overseas stuff waiting to go... our post collector called and said it wont even be collected as they have no place to stock it up!

import and export is being hit too

im off to the shops me.. stocking up on milk and bread before it all goes **** up

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

When you guys look up in the sky, do you see it ?

What's it look like ? ... smog ? ... or a thunderstorm coming ? .... something else ?

Comment

• megocrazy
                        Museum Trouble Maker
                        • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by toystalker
                        before it all goes **** up
                        I believe I have a new catch phrase. I will be sure to use this one in my next meeting.
                        It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                          Invincible Ironing Man
                          • Feb 28, 2008

When you guys look up in the sky, do you see it ?

What's it look like ? ... smog ? ... or a thunderstorm coming ? .... something else ?
                          It's all clear here (to the naked eye).
                          It's the fine dust that gets into airplane engines that's the danger. They say it can even make its way into the cockpit. The dust is so high up, we don't see it here, but it's at the level where planes fly.

Maybe if the planes fly really low, they can bring my stuff over and drop it in my yard....

Comment

• spamn
                            Minty and All-Original!
                            • Mar 28, 2002

I just heard a story about how the recession has hit the shipping industry hard and how ship owners still paying for their ships may be looking at a 'mortgage' collapse because there's so much less business, they can't afford to make payments. Ships are literally sitting parked off coasts, fully crewed, waiting for business.

Maybe it's possible that if this continues, a lot of the cargo slack could be picked up by those idle ships and the coming shipping industry crisis could be lessened.

Comment

• wolfie
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 31, 2007

I never gave it a thought that this was the reason my stuff from America was not arriving, it all makes sense now.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎