Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tiger
    • Apr 10, 2010

Croatian Girl Wakes From Coma Speaking Fluent German

this is one of strangest stories i've ever heard. so much about the human mind yet to be discovered.

telegraph - The girl, from the southern town of Knin, had only just started studying German at school and had been reading German books and watching German TV to become better, but was by no means fluent, according to her parents.

Since waking up from her 24 hour coma however, she has been unable to speak Croatian, but is able to communicate perfectly in German.

Doctors at Split's KB Hospital claim that the case is so unusual, various experts have examined the girl as they try to find out what triggered the change.

Hospital director Dujomir Marasovic said: "You never know when recovering from such a trauma how the brain will react. Obviously we have some theories although at the moment we are limited in what we can say because we have to respect the privacy of the patient."

Psychiatric expert Dr Mijo Milas added: "In earlier times this would have been referred to as a miracle, we prefer to think that there must be a logical explanation – its just that we haven't found it yet.

"There are references to cases where people who have been seriously ill and perhaps in a coma have woken up being able to speak other languages – sometimes even the Biblical languages such as that spoken in old Babylon or Egypt – at the moment though any speculation would remain just that – speculation – so it's better to continue tests until we actually know something."
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

it's on the internet... must be real.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• jp1969
      Banned
      • Dec 10, 2009

Strange.
      Anxious to hear how she does on her German exams.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

awesome!! the brain is like a computer it records everything...haven't you ever had a dream of something that happened years ago that you could'nt remember and all of the sudden you remember everything after that 1 dream? I know it's happened to me before
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
          MeGoing
          • May 14, 2003

Our brains, indeed our whole bodies are really amazing.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

It would seem to indicate we have a primal memory, that we can access at times.
            I wish my lottery predicting skills would kick in....
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
              House of a thousand Megos
              • Aug 10, 2009

****ZA!!!
              Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

This is extremely fishy to me.

Assuming she can now speak as fluently as they say she can in German - only the family (and presumably the girl) are confirming what her skills were before. I mean, they admit that she was studying the language very hard - who was judging her level in the language? Also, they can't figure out what caused the coma, which seems way too convenient to me.

I really think that either they're exaggerating her improvement in German and this is a kind of psychogenetic symptom (see Desiree Jennings), or Balloon Boy potentially has a new pen pal.

That last paragraph is just insane.

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

I just heard a follow up story to this news item and I thought you guys might be interested.

Apparently the foreign press mixed up the story. The real story in Croatia wasn't that this girl gained the ability to speak German - the real story was that the brain damage she suffered took away her ability to speak her native language, which was Croatian. For some reason she was ONLY able to communicate in German - which she was studying.

So it didn't give her extra ability at all - it just blocked parts of her brain that accessed her native language. The follow up also included the information that her brain damage wasn't permanent, and after a few days she was back to normal.

It's pretty disappointing that in this day and age a news article can get SO mixed up like this.

Comment

• Bill
                    Parminant Memble
                    • Oct 20, 2002

Apparently during the war many Croats relocated to Germany. I know this by the odd circumstance of going to dinner with my German friend and having a Croatian waitress, in Florida mind you.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎