X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riffster
    Atomic batteries to power
    • Jun 29, 2008

Another business trip...This time I'm in Toronto

Just a quick trip I'll be back in the states Thursday and I'm staying on airport road and the WMI head office is right down the street...no site seeing again..:(
    Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
    And Super Powers Batman
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Too bad you can't stay a bit and check things out man. You're actually going to be in Mississauga which is outside of Toronto - so PLEASE don't judge our city based on that wasteland of urban-sprawl, big-box stores and factory outlet warehouses!

What's WMI by the way?

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Shoot toyratt used be right there, I wonder if he's still open to the public?
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megocrazy
        Museum Trouble Maker
        • Feb 18, 2007

I have two vendors one in Mississauga and one in Toronto that say the same thing. They're both in warehouse distribution incredibly. I did find Toronto to be a wildly expanding city between my two previous visits. Look forward to venturing north again when the dollar makes it worthwhile to go toy hunting up that way again. Maybe I'll hit a Sox game and grab the field view rooms at the Rogers Centre. Actually the toy show I used to go to was only a few minutes from Pearson Airport.
        Last edited by megocrazy; Apr 13, '10, 8:56 AM.
        It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Actually the toy show I used to go to was only a few minutes from Pearson Airport.
          If you went anytime between 1987-1999, that hungover guy with the mego dolls was me.

Comment

• Cmonster
            Banned
            • Feb 6, 2010

Kind of a derail here, but maybe some of you Canadians can answer a question for me; I grew up on the East Coast and played lacrosse all my life. I played several tournaments in Canada, where I was told that lacrosse was the national sport. I always found that hard to believe because from what I personally have observed, hockey seemed a way more popular sport there, and have been told it was the national sport as well, by many people (mostly hockey players and fans). So... What's your national sport up there??? Is it "stix" or "lax"? (that's what we used to call hockey and lacrosse for short, respectively).

SC

Comment

• megocrazy
              Museum Trouble Maker
              • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
              If you went anytime between 1987-1999, that hungover guy with the mego dolls was me.
              I'm pretty sure we've probably been in the same building and hungover at the same time prior to meeting here. I went like every other year for 5 years going back to that time. I think the last time I went was like 2002 or 2003. Someday I'll head back.
              It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by megocrazy
                I'm pretty sure we've probably been in the same building and hungover at the same time prior to meeting here. I went like every other year for 5 years going back to that time. I think the last time I went was like 2002 or 2003. Someday I'll head back.
                Most definitely sir, I haven't missed a toronto toy show since I was 17 save for the October show due to a death in the family.

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

Try to have fun anyway
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Brazoo
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 14, 2009

That convention centre toyshow by the airport is the best one around her for sure!

Cmonster - I believe that lacrosse is recognized as the official national sport for some reason, but of course hockey is much more popular. I have no idea why, and I've never heard of anyone trying to change it. I may not be the best guy to ask though, I'm probably only one of 3 people living in Toronto who doesn't care about hockey and can't stand the Leafs.
                    Last edited by Brazoo; Apr 13, '10, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• jp1969
                      Banned
                      • Dec 10, 2009

Was'nt Lacrosse invented by Native American Indians?
                      Maybe thats why people from other countries thought it was Canada's ntl sport.
                      For a long time,people thought Canada was populated by Eskimos and Indians.
                      Just a thought.?

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

Ah - okay, in 1994 hockey was added as an official sport as well.

I found this info on wikipedia:

"Since its founding, Canada's official sport was lacrosse, a sport invented by Aboriginal peoples. In 1994, First Nations groups objected to a government bill that proposed establishing ice hockey as Canada's national sport, arguing that it neglected recognition of the game of lacrosse, a uniquely Native contribution. In response, the House of Commons amended a bill "to recognize hockey as Canada's Winter Sport and lacrosse as Canada's Summer Sport," although lacrosse is played all year, in all seasons, indoor and outdoors. On May 12, 1994, in Bill C-212, ice hockey joined lacrosse as official sports of Canada."

Am I cynical to read this and only wonder how much money the government could have possibly spent on that nonsense?

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Cmonster
                          Kind of a derail here, but maybe some of you Canadians can answer a question for me; I grew up on the East Coast and played lacrosse all my life. I played several tournaments in Canada, where I was told that lacrosse was the national sport. I always found that hard to believe because from what I personally have observed, hockey seemed a way more popular sport there, and have been told it was the national sport as well, by many people (mostly hockey players and fans). So... What's your national sport up there??? Is it "stix" or "lax"? (that's what we used to call hockey and lacrosse for short, respectively).

SC
                          In terms of popularity, I'd definitely say Hockey rules the Great White North. The francaphone in-laws all cheer the Habs, although my family are all Raptor's nuts.

For my friends and I, going to see The Rock play once a year or so is a nice cheap outing for the guys and a good alternative to just going to sit in a sports bar for the night.
                          Toronto Rock

I'm not really a big sports nut, but I do enjoy the good company and conversation that comes with going to see any kind of live game with your mates. We're really fortunate in Toronto to have so many choices of sporting events.
                          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Riffster
                            Atomic batteries to power
                            • Jun 29, 2008

I work for TJX- which is the parent company for TJMaxx, AJ Wright, Homegoods, and Marshalls in the US, We own WMI which is Winners and Homesence in Canada- and we own alot of stores in Europe now as well
                            Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
                            And Super Powers Batman

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎