• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

jimsmegos review of Mattel Superman

For what it's worth...

In what could be best described as a "drunken buy" ( no I was sober but bought the Man of Steel and large thighs on a wacky whim) I picked up a new Superman. While I was pretty much pleased with Lex, Supes is a bit of a different story.

First the good... I love the colors of the costume. Very vibrant and cartoony. I also really like how they decided to do the emblem. Heat sealed I'm assuming. Now on to the other side of the coin....

While the general feeling most have offered up about the wonky bodies is a normal jab I'll leave that point alone. It is what it is in all of it's thunder thigh goodness. The main issue I see with him is that unlike Lex, Sinestro and Green Lantern, Mego did make a Superman which gives this guy more of a knock off feel than the other three (Green Arrow would follow in line with Supes).

Plus his head sculpt is a little lacking for my taste. I understand they were going for the '75 look but I'm just not seeing it. If there is any likeness that I feel this fellow has it would be that of Kirk Alan from the old movie serials. No really, goodle Kirk and I think you'll see what I mean.

In the end I'm not disappointed with the purchase since I am a Superman fan. Plus being a genuine junkie for the 8 inch format I still kinda like him. I don't however see him coming out of the package. For me he is simply a collectible for the sake of collecting more so than a really cool display piece.

******* Okay so I just got in the Green LAntern and Sinestro. As I mentioned those guys are great to me because Mego never made 'em. Now into defense of MAttel a little bit. Loking at alt them side by side in the package I can see why Mattel believe they've done good. The new Superman beside his modern mego brothers, works. He doesn't look so ackward. So as a set they look cool but keep Superman away from your original Megos. GL and Sinestro blend right in but poor ol' Clark would still be a strange looking visitor from another planet.

So there ya go, my two cents for whatever they're worth.
    Last edited by jimsmegos; Apr 10, '10, 10:59 AM. Reason: UPDATE
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

i feel the same way. great review!

Comment

• jimsmegos
      Mego Dork
      • Nov 9, 2008

Updated. re read the first post if you care

Comment

Working...