Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Ever Happened to the Man From Atlantis Toys?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

What Ever Happened to the Man From Atlantis Toys?

It's not often I get to play toy detective (which is a shame because I have the hat and everything) so it was gratifying to make this discovery this week. Ever since I posted the Kenner Toy Proposals for the Man From Atlantis Line, I've wondered what the line would have actually looked like. Then I found a curious couple of pages in the far back of the 1978 Kenner Catalog that answered my question.

I am pleased to present Scuba Squad , Kenner's attempt to rebrand the toys they were making from the then cancelled series, which gives a glimpse of what might have been. Click the link to see the evidence yourself.
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • darkmonkeygod
    Career Member
    • Sep 5, 2005

Wow, thanks for posting this. I did not know anyone had planned Man from Atlantis toys, much less that they got so far along. I would have loved that as a kid. Cool that they went with the sub as well. Scuba Squad never shipped to retail, correct? If this and the aborted Alien 3&3/4 line had come out, just before the Remco Universal Monsters, I think all my action figure needs would have been taken care of.

sts

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

wow that's awesome,I would've loved to have had that set
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• batmanmc
        mego batman collector
        • Jun 22, 2004

would have been an awesome toy line.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
          If this and the aborted Alien 3&3/4 line had come out,
          Those were amazingly sculpted for their day. It's a real tragedy they were not released. I really think Kenner should have gone with the small figures first and then followed with the 18 inch one. I don't think they would have caused nearly the ruckus as their big daddy.

I still want a 3 3/4 inch Aliens toy line.
          Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 12, '07, 10:55 PM.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• megocrazy
            Museum Trouble Maker
            • Feb 18, 2007

Adam Sandler makes reference to a Scuba Squad in his movie Big Daddy. Wonder if there is any relation.
            It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I just noticed the cut "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" reference. Nice Alan Moore vibe Brian!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

I loved that show...his green contact lenses enthralled me.

Comment

• tmthor
                  God of Knock-offs
                  • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  Those were amazingly sculpted for their day. It's a real tragedy they were not released. I really think Kenner should have gone with the small figures first and then followed with the 18 inch one. I don't think they would have caused nearly the ruckus as their big daddy.

I still want a 3 3/4 inch Aliens toy line.
                  Maybe stupid old question But any info on the 3 1/4" alein line this is the first I have heard a definate that it was gonna be prodused back then.

Also I like how the logo resembles the six million dollar man logo (wich kenner was making at the time I beleive.) man I miss vintage Kenner

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎