X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Blu Ray question

So, I finally entered the 2000's and got a wireless router and a Blu Ray so I could stream Netflix. I got a Samsung BD C5500-C model and come to discover that I have to use a Samsung wireless LAN adapter (as opposed to any old adapter I can get at Walmart) to make it work. Anybody do this with this model and get it to work? I'd hate to spend another 80 bucks for the antenna and have it not work. Our wireless router is working fine, it goes to our other computer perfectly.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks
  • megoapesnut
    The name says it all!
    • Dec 3, 2007

I know it defeats the ease of wireless, but does the Samsung have a ethernet port on the back and is your router anywhere close to it. If yes to both, you could always run a CAT 5 cable from the router to the player.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
      WANTED for card bending
      • Apr 26, 2008

A router is a router, sounds like a load of bunk to me. have you tried another one first? I would confirm the inexpensive route does not work first. Just return the poened Item citing "compatibillity issues", they will take it back.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Yep I tried a wireless LAN antenna, the router is fine, my wife's laptop picks it up. The Antennas will not interface with the Samsung BluRay. Mostly I am trying to decide if its worth the 80 bucks or is there another Blu Ray that is more universal? And I really don't want to run the eithernet cable to it, I will be tripping on it all the time.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megoapesnut
          The name says it all!
          • Dec 3, 2007

Wait, now I am confused. From your description I was assuming that the problem is that the Samsung player has no wireless capability built in, you have to buy a wireless receiver unit for it in order for it to pick up the wireless signal. I don't think they are telling you that you must have a different type of router to sync with the Samsung, you just need a Samsung wireless RECEIVER to attach to the player. It doesn't matter how much of a signal the router is putting out, if the player doesn't have a receiver, it aint gunna get a signal. I am pretty sure that's your problem and they are telling you to buy the receiver, not a different router.

Comment

• megoapesnut
            The name says it all!
            • Dec 3, 2007

I just checked on that unit and it is indeed "wireless ready" meaning it needs a wireless receiver to get the signal. So, your router is fine. The reason the Samsung isn't getting the signal is because you need the LAN adapter to connect to the player, it does not have a built in wireless receiver, just the capability.

Comment

• megoapesnut
              The name says it all!
              • Dec 3, 2007

here is a player with built in wireless that runs the same price as the Samsung. Can you return the player?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, "wireless ready" is a tricky term.

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                here is a player with built in wireless that runs the same price as the Samsung. Can you return the player?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers
                That Sony is a nice player, but I think that the OP wants to stream Netflix. Some BD players have that ability and some don't, but I don't believe this Sony player can do that.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                  Wait, now I am confused. From your description I was assuming that the problem is that the Samsung player has no wireless capability built in, you have to buy a wireless receiver unit for it in order for it to pick up the wireless signal. I don't think they are telling you that you must have a different type of router to sync with the Samsung, you just need a Samsung wireless RECEIVER to attach to the player. It doesn't matter how much of a signal the router is putting out, if the player doesn't have a receiver, it aint gunna get a signal. I am pretty sure that's your problem and they are telling you to buy the receiver, not a different router.
                  Right, its an 80 dollar Samsung LAN adapter that plugs into the player. Roughly half of what I payed for the player. TBolt ain't happy. See, on the outside ofthe box it didn't mention that it had to be a Samsung one, just that I needed a LAN reciever to get wireless pickup by the machine. Since we already have the router, there's no reason to hook it up with a wire.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by cjefferys
                    Yeah, "wireless ready" is a tricky term.

That Sony is a nice player, but I think that the OP wants to stream Netflix. Some BD players have that ability and some don't, but I don't believe this Sony player can do that.
                    Exactly, I got it to stream Netflix, and the Samsung is labeled with Netflix outside the box and already has the software in it for that application.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-WIS09A...0591036&sr=8-1

Here's the one I have to get.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                        MeGoing
                        • May 14, 2003

That really sucks. Take it back and get a Playstation 3 instead. Then you can play games, Blue Ray discs, HD DVD's, watch Netflix and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

I have zero interest in a playstation, that's why I got the Bluray.

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                            That really sucks. Take it back and get a Playstation 3 instead. Then you can play games, Blue Ray discs, HD DVD's, watch Netflix and a bunch of other stuff.
                            I love my PS3, especially since I downloaded the PS3 media server on my computer, and now I can stream virtually any media from my computer to watch on the big TV with the PS3. The one negative (for me) is that I have one of the early release units and it's fan noise was a bit distracting at times (not during games, but during quieter movies) so I had to get a stand alone Blu-ray player for movies. Other than that, the PS3 kicks all kinds of butt (and I think the new slim models are much quieter). BTW it can't do HD DVDs though, you need a dedicated HD DVD player, an Xbox 360 with the HD DVD add on, or a HD DVD ROM drive in your computer to play those discs. Sony wanted nothing to do with it's former competition in the HD arena.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                              MeGoing
                              • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                              I have zero interest in a playstation, that's why I got the Bluray.
                              Punkin might like it...it's not all about you you know.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎