X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Mexico, safer than most people think...

"In 2008, Mexico City had a homicide rate of nine for every 100,000 people, while Washington D.C. had a rate of more than 30 per 100,000 -- over three times higher."

"The news media prefer to report horrible events rather than address the reality; Mexico is, in general, a very safe country -- with the notable and news-making exception of Juarez and other border towns -- and has far less violent crime than any large U.S. city," says Barbara Erickson, one of more than a million Americans who lives safely in Mexico.

How Safe is Mexico? - AOL Travel News

sigpic
  • fallensaviour
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 28, 2006

I think I'd rather take my chances walking down portage ave in the middle of a winnipeg snow storm in my underwear,thanks anyways...
    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

See, I've always been under the impression that Mexico is not a place. But I've never been there...it's just the impression I get from the way Mexico is portrayed. Probably unfairly.
      sigpic

Comment

• Mawni
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 11, 2007

I've never really thought of Mexico as unsafe but I have heArd their highways are scary at night.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I can imagine almost all Americans who live in Mexico probably live in upscale communities (at least compared to the average native Mexican) so I would not trust anything an American living in Mexico would say about crime rates.

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

Statistically, yes, except--Kidnapping and ransom are a growth industry in Mexico. Getting shot in the 'hood in DC isn't a problem for most people who don't live in that neighborhood, but if you're a businessman traveling from San Diego to Mexico you might want to get a bulletproof car. When I was a teenager we'd drive to Juarez and party til 4 in the morning and the biggest threat to your safety was driving home drunk. Nobody goes to Juarez now, it's really sad.

And it may be unfair to the larger country as a whole, but the part that's closest to the US is experiencing some horrible crime and it's affecting Americans so of course it's a big deal in the media. Travel to certain places for tourism, fine, my folks spend a few weeks every winter on the Mexican coast. But it's not a big illusion, there's a serious situation down there. The police chief of a Washington suburb isn't likely to be found in his car with his head in his lap.
            Last edited by megoscott; Apr 6, '10, 10:50 AM.
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
              Time to feed the cat
              • Dec 30, 2007

As anyplace,its all about using your head.Don't put yourself in a bad spot,don't go where you know you shouldn't be.We've been there several times and other than a strong military showing its never been an issue.The soilders and police everywhere are just part of the backdrop now.Go and enjoy the culture and the food,meet great people and just use your head.

Comment

• BOTZWANA
                spam
                • May 28, 2009

I live in Mexico and when thinking of traveling go to the Monster Cafe. http://www.monstercafesaltillo.com

Check out my foto section!

Saltillo is 3 hours from the border and totally safe.

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                  I think I'd rather take my chances walking down portage ave in the middle of a winnipeg snow storm in my underwear,thanks anyways...
                  lol
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Captain
                    Fighting the good fight!
                    • Jun 17, 2001

Me too. The general population probably is safer than the tourists. Of late, attacks on tourists has filled the news. So has stories of tourists who "committed suicide" by beating themselves to a pulp and then threw themselves off a balcony. Canadian Government has started warning tourists against Mexico....at least certain parts of it.

I wouldnt want to visit any of the border cities either.....the drug war sounds like it rapidly escalating to a civil war! I've got some friends in El Paso who say its turning into a kill zone along their border line.
                    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Having visited four vastly different cities in different parts of Mexico during a lovely vacation two years ago (Tuxla, Mexico city, Merida and Cancun), I would easily choose any of those over Winnipeg as a travel destination. Especially in the winter months!
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Neutron X
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 22, 2007

If I have learned only one thing in my life it is I like it here

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by samurainoir
                          Having visited four vastly different cities in different parts of Mexico during a lovely vacation two years ago (Tuxla, Mexico city, Merida and Cancun), I would easily choose any of those over Winnipeg as a travel destination. Especially in the winter months!
                          Exactly...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

The border towns though...nasty...especially Juarez...what a cancer of a place.
                            sigpic

Comment

• RG
                              Removed.
                              • Oct 1, 2004

Oregon ... is just right, warm summers and nice springs and falls, some mild snow in the winters and sure some rain ... but not enough to drive me out of my safty zone of the Beaver state lol

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎