Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MegoMeet 2010 Excusive Figure - Making Extra Fair?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris DVM
    Veterinarian Member
    • Jun 18, 2001

MegoMeet 2010 Excusive Figure - Making Extra Fair?

Hey,
    Well, this years figure has, to say the least, generated the greatest amount of interest since Jet Jungle. I have received 15 requests for the figure from people not attending the meet and wanting to be on the list. I knew the figure would be popular, but didn't expect this.
    One member suggested that I open up a pre-order for post production. Extend an limited offer to make some figures post meet offered for sale before the meet for those who cannot make it.
    Now, in the past I have made a certain number available, and only that. I have always done this out of the fun of it, and set the number for the amount I could stand to make. This year I set it at 40, since the heads will need serious time to make sure the paint job is up to par. The rest of the figure will come together nicely, pretty easily, but the hat mold and the head paint will be laborious and time consuming.
    Most of you also know that I don't make a ton of money on this. I recoup my investment and get enough profit to pay off my hotel room. This years figure's investment cost is already at $43 per figure, which is why the cost went up to $50 from $45 usually.
    So this is not about money. It is more about doing something I like and, yes, getting the recognition for doing it. When you think about the tons of amazing customizers out there in the Mego world, to have people clamor for a custom you made is an ego rush, truth be told.
    So I throw this open to you. A limited run means just that - only a certain number available. In the past, after the show, I have destroyed the molds and informed my box maker not to make any further boxes. That way only the number made will be the number only ever available, and the value will remain due to that. I have always said that once they are gone, they are gone, and that is that. However, a lot of people would like to have the figure, and I would love to accomodate them, not for the money, but for making them happy.
    So the question is this - for those of you who will travel to MegoMeet and have the opportunity to purchase one of the figures, will you feel cheated if there would be the opportunity to allow a pre-sale for post production of a smaller run of additional figures? I can see probably making an additional 15 to 25 figures when everything is done. However, for those who do make the time and effort to go to the meet, it is only fair to allow you to voice in and allow this to happen. Aquiring the Exclusive figure has been a 'reward' available to you for paying to go to the Meet, taking the time off work and scheduling it, and traveling to Wheeling. I would not feel right unless those who do make this sacrifice agree that it is OK.
    And to those who cannot make it there - if the concensus is a no, do not be bitter. There are many shows that have limited runs of exclusive figures that I would love to have had, but did not make the show and therefore did not get the figure. That is the nature of the exclusive. Those that make the MegoMeet deserve the right to keep the number down if they feel that this is the way it should be, and we all have to respect that feeling if they express it. I debated over whether to even start this thread, but enough people had asked about this possibility. So I therefore let the traveling Mego community make the decision. I will abide by whatever they think is fair.
    Chris DVM
    "The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

The only concern that I'd have is if people at Megomeet couldn't get one if you sell out the allotment you decide to make and bring. I don't have an issue with someone that doesn't attend getting one, but not at the expense of someone who is there and can't due to demand. Make sense? Another alternative might be to sell a kit for people to make for themselves, such as an unpainted head with all the clothes, accessories, etc. You could then validly claim the ones you painted and pieced together are the actual exclusive. Whatever you decide, I won't be getting upset with your choice.

Comment

• Toy Talk
      Old and out of touch
      • Aug 7, 2009

I agree with Hulk, he said it very well. Another addition might be to include a megomeet certificate with the ones sold at the meet only.
      "Procrastination is the art of planning for tomorrow."

Comment

• bp1701a
        Museum Super Collector
        • Aug 27, 2007

Now thats a great idea, a certificate.
        I can not got to the meet, I just can't with job, family, I just cannot, buit I would love to purchase a figure, and I kow as a collector, a certificate with figure would be great.
        How do I get to be able to put my name on a list for a figure ?
        Whom do I contact?
        Thanks.
        Brian
        I am MEGO CRAZZZYYY !!!

Comment

• noelani72
          27inaleon
          • Jun 25, 2002

not knowing what your fig looks like Chris, if we keep the MM fig exclusive, the alternative (if it is still available)for non-MM go'ers would be this one I got at MM last year:

I missed out on the MM Invisible Man...of all figs, that's one I wish I had.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

First of all, nice of you to consider this. Why not do your normal meet production, and then make however many for the non-attendees with tweaked packaging? You maintain the exclusivity but people can still get the figure.

Comment

• Timothy2251
              Jerks beef with Ten Bears
              • Mar 15, 2008

Originally posted by Hulk
              The only concern that I'd have is if people at Megomeet couldn't get one if you sell out the allotment you decide to make and bring. I don't have an issue with someone that doesn't attend getting one, but not at the expense of someone who is there and can't due to demand. Make sense? Another alternative might be to sell a kit for people to make for themselves, such as an unpainted head with all the clothes, accessories, etc. You could then validly claim the ones you painted and pieced together are the actual exclusive. Whatever you decide, I won't be getting upset with your choice.
              This idea seems more than fair. Chris was kind enough to put me on the list for a figure if any are available after Mego Meet (I can't attend this year, much as I'd like to), but getting a kit like Hulk mentioned above would be just as acceptable to me. Plus it saves Chris work on assembling a new figure.

I really hope to get one of these exclusive figures, whether a leftover from Mego Meet already made, or if I have to paint and assemble it myself.
              "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

It's no so much about people "making the time and effort to go to the Meet", there's plenty of people who simply can't, even tho they would love to go. I just can't justify the cost traveling from Belgium to the US for a mere 3 days, just to have access to an exclusive.
                Personally, I was already working on a custom Indy myself, so I'll pass on the exclusive, but it kinda feels like us non-US members are getting punished for not being able to make it to the Meet. I missed out on Jet Jungle too and had to make my own. And there are plenty of US members who can't make it either for various reasons. They're getting punished just as much as us non-US members. OK, punished is a big word, but I hope you know what I mean.
                And yes, I also understand the charm of an exclusive, but try to see it our way. We simply can't make it, but some of us would love an exclusive as well. So if you can make more why not do it?
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• VintageMike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Dec 16, 2004

Originally posted by Azrak
                  First of all, nice of you to consider this. Why not do your normal meet production, and then make however many for the non-attendees with tweaked packaging? You maintain the exclusivity but people can still get the figure.
                  I agree with this idea. Since people are interested in the figure itself why not just have two box types. The ones distributed at the actual meet can say "Mego Meet Exclusive" as always and the ones sent out through mail can be just just standard custom boxes with no Mego Meet logo/branding.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                    MeGoing
                    • May 14, 2003

I just want to say that I really appreciate you making them each year, it adds something very special to the Meet.

I think that a lot of people would love to go but just can't make it...so having the opportunity to have a little of the magic is very desirable.

That being said, I am going to do my darndest to be there next year...tried to extend my stay this year but can't since I came on the visa-less option.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                      The DarkSide Customizer
                      • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by Meule
                      It's no so much about people "making the time and effort to go to the Meet", there's plenty of people who simply can't, even tho they would love to go. I just can't justify the cost traveling from Belgium to the US for a mere 3 days, just to have access to an exclusive.

It's not about making time and effort for me either.... I can't afford to go at this point in time.... it's on the other side of the States, .. perhaps next yr.
                      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Flynne
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jan 22, 2003

First of all, Chris is one of the most generous and amazing people you will be lucky to meet in life, and he's a real stand up guy for doing this each year. Plus, a small group of us love the late Friday night assembly line to get them ready each year.

As for the options, I think Paul said it best with having stock on hand for those who take the time and expense to go to the Meet (and let's be honest, it is time and money to get to Wheeling, WV from most places in the US). But the option of having a kit available to people who cannot, for whatever reason, make it to the Meet is a great option. I know that when work screwed me out of going last year that I was bummed about not getting the figure, though my good friend Chuck got me hooked up - it almost made up for not getting to go. The point is that I think it's a real plus to have them available for people who can show up, but to also have an option for those who cannot.

Even if the heads are unpainted, there are plenty of great customizers who can help out. I think Paul's option is a great idea. That's my 2 cents anyway.
                        An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• Zemo
                          Still Smokin'
                          • Feb 14, 2006

I don't have an issue with someone that doesn't attend getting one, but not at the expense of someone who is there and can't due to demand.
                          I think Hulk sums it up perfect here.

Comment

• JimCem99
                            New Yorker stuck in Hell!
                            • Jan 30, 2010

I am also on Chris' list for those that want it but cannot make the meet. As I am a huge Indy fan (I'm on a few of the Indiana Jones boards and have quite a collection), I would love to have one. That being said, I hope extras are being made. If its different wording on the box as already mentioned (I know SDCC Exclusives are sold after SDCC with perhaps some different wording on packaging or a different accessory perhaps), a certificate or a kit (I have no painting skills whatsoever so I'd need someone to paint it to make it look right).

When I heard there are only 31 available out of the 40, I didn't realize it would be that low of a number available and I'm sure these will go fast. Someone that may be going said they'd get me one if available. So I might have an in already. I just don't want to have to settle buying this off the bay as I would be buying this for me as part of my collection and not as an investment. Thanks to Chris and others making this figure possible and for the possibility for more figures. Everyone needs an Indy Mego figure, right?
                            Last edited by JimCem99; Apr 4, '10, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                              WANTED for card bending
                              • Apr 26, 2008

you know, I am one of the 15, and whatever you decide to do Chris, I stick By it. If I can't get one, I just can't. I snooze I lose, thems the breaks, that's the way the cookie crumbles, etc etc.....It's a souvineer of the meet, so it should go first to attendees. IF you decide to do a second run, how about this: Boxed ones for the meet, superclams for the rest? that way the boxed one remains a unique exclusive. I would be more than happy to design a cardback (I am pretty good too...) for the carded one, If that would take any of the pressure off. hell I wouldn't mind if I had to wait awhile either. A kit is doable too, I really do not mind.
                              Last edited by bizzaro megomauler; Apr 4, '10, 2:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎