• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

Anyone ever been to a boxing match?

I have been to quite a few. I've seen:
    Bonecrusher Smith, Tim Witherspoon, Bruce Seldon (Mr. Glass Jaw), Jeff Fenech, Jesse James Hughes (RIP), Mocho Camacho, Alex Stewart to name a few. I once had a Russian fighter fall into our lap on national TV about 15 years ago. My wife and I still have that on tape. His name was Serge Artimiev (SP) and it was his last fight. He was knocked into a coma. Very sad watching that. Most of the fights I have been to were great!
  • toysrus
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 23, 2007

Many. Not too many major ones. Been to many Golden Gloves NY finals. Early Shane Mosley fight, I believe against Willy Wise in Las Vegas. Mike Tyson Vs Orlin Norris- i won 200 bucks on that fight, i bet a draw. Because Tyson hit him after the bell it was called a no contest, which a draw won. Went to many small fights, no names.

Actually been to more UFC's then so Boxing.

Comment

• jp1969
      Banned
      • Dec 10, 2009

The only match I ever attended was a female kick boxing match.Great stuff. Found the girls very aggresive.
      Have participated in a few inside and outside of bars,but I dont remember all the details.Sorry.

Comment

• Toy Talk
        Old and out of touch
        • Aug 7, 2009

When I was stationed in Vegas they promoters used to give tickets to the base all the time. Honestly, I do not remember who I saw but attended at least 5 bouts. Of course the seats were never very good.
        "Procrastination is the art of planning for tomorrow."

Comment

• johnnystorm
          Hot Child in the City
          • Jul 3, 2008

The local Police dept used to sponsor a sort of boy's club boxing team - long gone by the wayside, but in the '60s & 70s those community type projects were around, get kids off the streets etc. They used to run matches on Friday nights and we'd go. Been a long time since I watched a pro bout, it's just not the same anymore. Folks like Don King really screwed the pooch on the sports integrity.

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

I went to a Boxing Match once...and a Hockey game broke out.
            sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

I mostly Go to The New York Golden Gloves.....I've had friends actually compete in them. I got to know Olympic welterweight Champion and 2 time Welter weight Champion Mark Breland who I met through an ex boyfriend of my sisters. He lived a few blocks away from me when I was a teen in Brooklyn. Mark also starred in The Lords of Discipline with David Keith....

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

I've only been to backyard and underground fights, pretty scary ****!
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• toysrus
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 23, 2007

Do tough man contests count-lol. I had many friends compete in those. I grew up with Matt Serra, was he was like 18-19 he entered a NY Tough man and weighed in at 176, he crushed all the 200-250 lbs guys with ease. He eventually lost a close decision to a huge tall dude with a jab, guy won on points.

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by toysrus
                    Do tough man contests count-lol. I had many friends compete in those. I grew up with Matt Serra, was he was like 18-19 he entered a NY Tough man and weighed in at 176, he crushed all the 200-250 lbs guys with ease. He eventually lost a close decision to a huge tall dude with a jab, guy won on points.
                    awesome
                    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

I've been to many golden gloves and amateur fights...but surprisingly very few pro boxing matches...that's because they are mostly out of town...and I just don't like to make a long trip for just a fight. Although the one and most memorable one was with my dad and I attending Julio Cesar Chavez vs Roger Mayweather I in Vegas (a friend of my dad's hooked him up)...Chavez was mostly unknown to most Americans at the time...but we knew he was a baddazz...and we were right...he KO'd Roger Mayweather in just two rounds...we were cheering like mad men...it was a short fight, but it was awesome. This is the one (Oh, and I don't even remember the undercard, lol.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbL-jL48e6A

In Mexico...my dad used to take me to many local boxing matches as well.

I also did catch Gerry Cooney blast some bum in San Francisco.

I also had the chance to see Andre Ward vs Mikel Kessler in Oakland...but decided not to go...I forgot the reason why I didn't go...I'm getting short term memory now...

Last edited by Hector; Apr 3, '10, 2:44 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• toysrus
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 23, 2007

Awesome Hector! Chavez was easily one of the best of all time. Prime Chavez would have crushed Oscar dela hoya. Mayweather had a crushing right hand. I trained in boxing for many years. Mayweather boxed at the same gym as I. It was actually the same gym Mike Tyson used- Las Vegas PAL Golden Gloves. From time to time I still bump into Roger here in Vegas. He sounds a bit punchy, maybe from those Chavez shots-lol

Originally posted by Hector
                        I've been to many golden gloves and amateur fights...but surprisingly very few pro boxing matches...that's because they are mostly out of town...and I just don't like to make a long trip for just a fight. Although the one and most memorable one was with my dad and I attending Julio Cesar Chavez vs Roger Mayweather I in Vegas (a friend of my dad's hooked him up)...Chavez was mostly unknown to most Americans at the time...but we knew he was a baddazz...and we were right...he KO'd Roger Mayweather in just two rounds...we were cheering like mad men...it was a short fight, but it was awesome. This is the one (Oh, and I don't even remember the undercard, lol.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbL-jL48e6A

In Mexico...my dad used to take me to many local boxing matches as well.

I also did catch Gerry Cooney blast some bum in San Francisco.

I also had the chance to see Andre Ward vs Mikel Kessler in Oakland...but decided not to go...I forgot the reason why I didn't go...I'm getting short term memory now...

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by toysrus
                          Awesome Hector! Chavez was easily one of the best of all time. Prime Chavez would have crushed Oscar dela hoya. Mayweather had a crushing right hand. I trained in boxing for many years. Mayweather boxed at the same gym as I. It was actually the same gym Mike Tyson used- Las Vegas PAL Golden Gloves. From time to time I still bump into Roger here in Vegas. He sounds a bit punchy, maybe from those Chavez shots-lol

The rematch was tougher for Chavez...but he still made Roger quit on his stool in the 10th.

Yeah...all these younger fans think de la Hoya was a better fighter than Chavez...just because he beat Chavez up when he was old and past his prime...but a young/prime Chavez would've chopped down pretty Oscar...lol.

P.S. I envy your boxing background.
                          Last edited by Hector; Apr 3, '10, 3:31 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎