X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Looking for Handy People's Help!

Hey guys, I know there are a lot of smart do-it-yourself people on here, and I was hoping one of you could give me some advice.

My apartment's very old and there is a 3.25" pipe coming down through the ceiling that I need to remove - I'm guessing it's from an old lighting fixture. One side is threaded, so I hoped the side holding it in would be too. I've been cranking it with a pipe wrench for a while now and it hasn't budged.

There are two joists on either side with very little room to maneuver, so sawing it off would be very difficult.

Any advice?

Here's a pic:

• megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

There is really not a lot of options. I'm guessing it's not a water pipe and had something to do with possibly a ceiling fan or very heavy light fixture. What are you doing with the space? Are you replacing a fixture? Just covering it? The cloth covered romex wiring is way out of code, just an FYI. A reciprocating saw could make that cut. In theory I guess you could do it with the cheap metal hacksaws they sell at the $1 stores. It's not a traditional style hacksaw but one that simply holds the blade like a plasterers hole saw is. Be a pain but it would work. Also looks like there is some water damage around the hole so if you're replacing an electrical fixture you should check that out before doing so. If you give me some specifics on what you're looking to accomplish I can give you better suggestions.
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• starhunter
      where the LEDYS at
      • Jan 15, 2010

yep seen this many times as i am a contractor....its from an old chanalier...what you need to do is heat the end of the pipe thats on the outside the heat will travel up the pipe then use a pipe wrench not the little ones most home owners have yo need atleat a 14 inch....now another thing 90% of these pipes are left right thread which means it tightens counter clock wise..."rights loosy,lefty tighty"...lol....if the insulation it touching the pipe inside do not heat it!......just use a bigger pipe wrench like 18-24 inch...a real man wrench!...haha

Comment

• megoapesnut
        The name says it all!
        • Dec 3, 2007

I was thinking a small metal cutting circular bit for a drill to cut it off.

Comment

• Zemo
          Still Smokin'
          • Feb 14, 2006

Originally posted by starhunter
          yep seen this many times as i am a contractor....its from an old chanalier...what you need to do is heat the end of the pipe thats on the outside the heat will travel up the pipe then use a pipe wrench not the little ones most home owners have yo need atleat a 14 inch....now another thing 90% of these pipes are left right thread which means it tightens counter clock wise..."rights loosy,lefty tighty"...lol....if the insulation it touching the pipe inside do not heat it!......just use a bigger pipe wrench like 18-24 inch...a real man wrench!...haha

I agree, you may have been torquing the wrong way. Also a sawzall with a metal blade would make pretty quick work of that.

Comment

• Brazoo
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 14, 2009

I was TOTALLY trying to turn it the wrong way! Thank you so much!

I'm replacing an old fixture with a new one. It looks like the ceiling is water damaged in the picture, but it's just stained with different kinds of paint from years of painting around other fixtures that have been mounted onto boxes that were just screwed into the plaster around this pipe (not by me!) I know the wiring isn't up to code in this place, but I'm renting, so there's not much I can do!

I'm going to try turning it the other way, heating it and turning it, and if worse comes to worse I'll try hacking the end off. Thanks again guys!

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

Oh - and the insulation isn't touching the pipe. Cheers!

Comment

• starhunter
                where the LEDYS at
                • Jan 15, 2010

and remember its all in the wrench......leverage is king!

Comment

• jimbutsu
                  Memory *is* RAM!
                  • Apr 11, 2002

I'm more handsy than handy...
                  "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

Next time just call this guy

"Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• lepage
                      The Ape General
                      • Aug 12, 2001

copper cutters.

Comment

• Bill
                        Parminant Memble
                        • Oct 20, 2002

Handi-man suggests using a little Kroil penetrating oil on that pipe joint.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                          MeGoing
                          • May 14, 2003

Wow, who would have thought just turning it the other way would have solved most of the problem?

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                            Wow, who would have thought just turning it the other way would have solved most of the problem?
                            So that is why I couldn't never get my front door to open.
                            Yay. No more crawling through the window.....
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                              Heh - No such luck actually.

I can't tell if it's seized or welded or I just can't crank it. Either way I ended up hacking through enough of it so that I could fit the exposed end into the box. Quite a battle.

Anyway, thanks again guys!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎