PDA

View Full Version : Printing Update: Blerg....

palitoy
Mar 31, '10, 11:49 AM
So I have been informed that on Friday, the printers of the 1978 Reimagined Catalog closed it's doors forever. This normally would doom the project (and me considering I prepaid) but I have heard rumour that a former employee possibly grabbed the printed sheets and sent them for binding.

I cannot seem to find this mythical man, who I will call "Gandalf" for the time being. Rumours of the catalog being in Burlington abound but I'm suspicious.

While I've been assured this will work out, I'm betting 50/50 that I'm out a couple of G here. So needless to say I'm a well slept man who is perfectly balanced at this point [/opposite day].

Keep your fingers crossed folks.

rche
Mar 31, '10, 11:56 AM
holy rip off press!!

that is truly dire news. I hope you can find the mythical Gandalf.
Are these the same printers who usually did your cards for you?

palitoy
Mar 31, '10, 12:23 PM
Are these the same printers who usually did your cards for you?

They have done cards in the past but they're not exclusive no. Cards can continue without a hiccup.

megoscott
Mar 31, '10, 12:44 PM
Holy crap, Brian. What a fiasco! We'll have to find a way to make it right, you can't be stuck with that bill.

rche
Mar 31, '10, 1:07 PM
Holy crap, Brian. What a fiasco! We'll have to find a way to make it right, you can't be stuck with that bill.

agreed

plus I know I was really excited to get ahold of this. I am sure others still want to see it fly. Perhaps the price per copy is just going to have to increase a bit.

palitoy
Mar 31, '10, 1:28 PM
I appreciate it the sentiment guys, hopefully it'll work out for the best. I'm just bracing for the crash.

megoscott
Mar 31, '10, 1:34 PM
This frakking project has been one thing after another!

Wee67
Mar 31, '10, 2:24 PM

Without question!!

Brian, we apprciate your expectation to take the hit, but we were all ready to reap the rewards as a community. I would ask that you allow us to also help deal with these setbacks as a community. You and others have done so much to further our Mego fun, I only ask that you let us contribute in this small way to help our little world.

ScottA
Mar 31, '10, 3:30 PM
I am speechless on this. How do you close when you have projects running?

SlipperyLilSuckers
Mar 31, '10, 3:57 PM
That's crap. I don't think you should have had to pay in advance anyway. Grrr. Let's get 'em.

The Toyroom
Mar 31, '10, 5:43 PM
Uh....whoa.....:please_y:

Chris DVM
Mar 31, '10, 6:42 PM
Uh....whoa.....:please_y:

Hey,
I don't think I could have said it any better.
Sometimes, I think Karma really does not want us to revisit 1978.
Chris DVM

Random Axe
Mar 31, '10, 8:57 PM
I didn't join this board till after this was well under way and only got to see stuff being photographed at the Meet. I knew this was a special project and it's heartbreaking to see the pitfalls this catalog has endured.

What was the preice going to be? I hope, as suggested, we could raise the price a bit to offset this unforseen crap. I'm sure Anthony still has the original files if we find an alternate printer. I'd file a suit/claim against the printer and recoup something if possible.

I've never heard of prepaying a printer. With all of the possible errors that can be made, nobody should pay until they have a finished proof copy. I know the comic company I worked for made that mistake and it cost us a lot of sales. They really washed out our colors and made our first book look like crap. THey always did good on our Arena Magazine covers, so I don't know what happened.

This does suck, but hopefully it's not the end of this project.

Scott

vulcan2074
Mar 31, '10, 9:15 PM
I'll definately keep my Fingers Crossed. Good thoughts coming your way. I'm always down to help in anyway that I can :beaming1:
Sammy

The Toyroom
Mar 31, '10, 10:28 PM
I'm kinda hoping this is an early April Fool's joke... Bueller? .:smiley13:

Meule
Apr 1, '10, 2:36 AM
I am speechless on this. How do you close when you have projects running?

That's what I was thinking too. This is horrible news, but I hope you find this mystical Gandalf. If you don't be sure to let usknow, so we can all chip in. I want this catalog to happen and I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is

palitoy
Apr 1, '10, 7:53 AM
I've never heard of prepaying a printer. With all of the possible errors that can be made, nobody should pay until they have a finished proof copy.

Yeah, I'm a 20 year vet in printing, I know. The pricing however for that option was unreal, it was a HUGE savings and my break even achievable. I trusted this company with a 25K job for my own company and they were very reputable, so I took the gamble. I got shivers when I paid, that should have been a sign. All of their offices closed, New York, Boston, Toronto, they're gone-zo on a global scale.

And this is NOT an April Fools gag, I'll be crying if these things show up.

HardyGirl
Apr 1, '10, 1:43 PM
Oh man! Does that ever suck! I hope it all works out, Brian. :yeah:

palitoy
Apr 1, '10, 3:11 PM
I was told beyond a doubt they'd arrive today, now I'm told maybe tomorrow. I've heard this everyday for one week. Crap.

cjefferys
Apr 1, '10, 4:05 PM
Damn, that's terrible, I can't believe something like that happened!

Absolutely, you were doing this for the community, so it's certainly not fair for you to be left holding the bag if this doesn't get resolved.

Blue Meanie
Apr 1, '10, 4:34 PM
I was told beyond a doubt they'd arrive today, now I'm told maybe tomorrow. I've heard this everyday for one week. Crap.

I can tell you the next excuse they are gonna give you "Well, you know Friday was Good Friday...so everyone went home a little early"

If they are a Union shop...you probably won't see anything until Tuesday. Some union shops here are giving Good Friday off and Monday off as well...cause you know, union rules state you have to pay workers for the Holiday...even if that holiday falls on a Sunday...EVERY YEAR. Sorry to hear about it. Hopefully it all works out in the end.

johnmiic
Apr 1, '10, 6:00 PM
Brian, this possibly sucks more than anything has ever sucked before. You can't take the hit on this if it truly did fall thru. As long as I am working I can help you out man.

megoscott
Apr 1, '10, 6:23 PM
Bake sale!

SlipperyLilSuckers
Apr 1, '10, 8:05 PM
I, the eternal optimist, am still hoping. I too, will back you up if it should happen to not work out though.

cjefferys
Apr 1, '10, 8:22 PM
I can tell you the next excuse they are gonna give you "Well, you know Friday was Good Friday...so everyone went home a little early"

If they are a Union shop...you probably won't see anything until Tuesday. Some union shops here are giving Good Friday off and Monday off as well...cause you know, union rules state you have to pay workers for the Holiday...even if that holiday falls on a Sunday...EVERY YEAR. Sorry to hear about it. Hopefully it all works out in the end.

Oh yeah, especially in Canada, most places shut down on Good Friday, and Easter Monday is possible too.

palitoy
Apr 1, '10, 9:25 PM
The guy who does all this for me, Steve usually uses non union Chinese sweatshops. The place that shut down was the classiest joint I've ever used for an MM project, go figure.

palitoy
Apr 2, '10, 8:23 AM
So I have been promised 330 today delivered to my home. This better not be BS.

Duncan
Apr 2, '10, 8:39 AM
Crossing fingers...

spamn
Apr 2, '10, 9:26 AM
We've got your back either way!

SlipperyLilSuckers
Apr 2, '10, 11:03 AM
Hoping like Hell!

Meule
Apr 2, '10, 3:21 PM
Anything yet, Brian? Here's hoping

palitoy
Apr 2, '10, 3:59 PM
See Mego Buzz for an Official Announcement.

Flynne
Apr 2, '10, 10:53 PM
Booo Yah! :d