X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonzo
    Banned
    • Feb 3, 2010

Fixing the gauntlet length on Retro DC

The fabric part of the gloves is just too long. The gauntlet should not reach all the way to the elbow. I cut a little off my extra GL to show the length Mattel should be using. I think it's a big improvement.

• pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

Um, I think there is something wrong with his head.

And the new cuff looks great.
    Last edited by pmwasson; Mar 27, '10, 8:50 PM. Reason: typo
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

I think the length is just fine. These are supposed to be "retro" not 100% comic accurate and realistic.

Mego would've given GL a pair of white oven mitts, with (maybe) a green dot painted on one for his ring...if you were lucky!

The simplicity of these is what makes them great, IMO.

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

The shorter cuffs do look better
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
          WANTED for card bending
          • Apr 26, 2008

if i hear one more person say jim dinkle about the oven mitts! MEGO did away with them on new figure designsafter realizing that colored hands were more cost effective. Green Lantern would have had a custom ring fist, it is the hallmark of the figure. Green Arrow did not have mitts so he could hold his trademark bow, surely GL would have had a ringed fist. BUT the shorter cuffs not only look better, but would save Matty some $$$

Comment

• Boywonder0
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 29, 2007

Gonzo,

The shorter gauntlets indeed look much better. Great job! In my opinion Mattel should sew the gauntlets not just shorter, but also tighter at the wrists...

Boy

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
              Career Member
              • Jun 10, 2007

Looks better!!
              I'm surprised no has asked how you did it yet.
              So how did you do it?
              Lynn

Comment

• gonzo
                Banned
                • Feb 3, 2010

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369
                Looks better!!
                I'm surprised no has asked how you did it yet.
                So how did you do it?
                Lynn
                Just a few snips. Make sure to draw a line (in pencil) around the gauntlet so you get an even cut. The gauntlet is actually sewn to the costume, so you will have to loosen a few seems and sew up part of the costume after you get your desired length. Not too too difficult and a nice result.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by gonzo
                  The fabric part of the gloves is just too long. The gauntlet should not reach all the way to the elbow. I cut a little off my extra GL to show the length I Think Mattel should be using. I think it's a big improvement.
                  fixed.

sorry, but I don't like it when opinions are presented as facts.

I think the gloves are just fine as-is.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• drmego
                    EMCE Toys
                    • Jun 15, 2001

That is the best part about this format - if you want to make changes, you
                    can do it.

In defense of the longer glove - if we had cut them shorter on the prototype,
                    and then the factory made them even shorter, the production GLs would
                    have white wristbands and no one would be happy.
                    www.drmego.com
                    www.megoman.com
                    www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Mister Blisterfists

sorry, but I don't like it when opinions are presented as facts.
                      Your opinion is not a fact, either.

This is an open forum with many people sharing their ideas and opinions.

Most members will not take the time to post unless they feel/believe they have a valid point or suggestion. You think the cuffs are fine (that's ok); many here do not (that's ok, too).

Perhaps Gonzo could have said "altered" rather than "fixed", but there's no need to denigrate him.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

I never presented my opinion as a fact.

he said that was what Mattel SHOULD have done. That is not a fact, that is an opinion, one I disagreed with.

and I didn't Denigrate him either, I merely pointed out that he was presenting his opinion as a fact. I told him "Sorry".

That indicates that I respectfully disagree with his opinion.
                        Last edited by B-Lister; Mar 28, '10, 11:11 AM.
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• gonzo
                          Banned
                          • Feb 3, 2010

I had a teacher once that taught me that I shouldn't use "I think" before saying anything because if I'm saying it, obviously "I think" it.

Comment

• gonzo
                            Banned
                            • Feb 3, 2010

Originally posted by drmego
                            In defense of the longer glove - if we had cut them shorter on the prototype,
                            and then the factory made them even shorter, the production GLs would
                            have white wristbands and no one would be happy.
                            This sounds like admission that the gauntlet length was purposely made "too long" in anticipation of the factory screwing up. That's not exactly comforting.

At least we can be thankful there is no lead in these.

Comment

• jp1969
                              Banned
                              • Dec 10, 2009

All in the opinion and all is good.

Originally posted by gonzo

At least we can be thankful there is no lead in these.

The gauntlets look good.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎