X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

Star Trek movie spoiler

I'm assuming most of you have read about the plot rumored for the new Trek flick, and was wondering what your thoughts were?

I was ok with a refresh of the franchise, but not sure about the way they are doing it now?

For those of you who havent heard it I'll sum it up below--STOP READING NOW IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW!

OK....I warned you.

A TNG era Romulan ship (Commander played by Russel Crowe apparently?) is sent back in time to alter the timeline by killing the most influential Starfleet commander and crew ever--Jimmy T and his peeps. (Which explains why they are casting for the series era crew even though the film is set before that time.)
    TNG era Spock (who has a much bigger part in the flick than has been let on) finds out about this plot, and goes back in time to enlist the aid of his younger self(Zach Quinto) and possibly his former captain Chris Pike (Tom Cruise...I know...what the ??) to stop the attempt, and repair the damage to the time line.

In short, the new series of movies are going to take place in an alternate time line from the original series.

Yes, this free's up the new movies from existing continuity issues, but it seems to me its going to make things even more complicated over time!?
    "Crayons taste like purple!"
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Is this really the plot? Or just a fake floating around out there?

The reason why I ask is because in many ways it seems tailor-made to freak out the
    STAR TREK canon purists----even I find it a tad extreme and I'm not even more than a
    casual fan
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Man, time travel stuff gives me headaches. That does sound a tad bit complex for the general movie going audience these days, it reads more like a fanboy fake. Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe??
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Actually its a real simple idea---basically a redux of the FIRST CONTACT
        plot with ROMULANS killing off KIRK and crew
        --- instead of the BORG stopping "First contact" as it was the goal of the enemy in FIRST CONTACT

In fact--its so simple--- it was a Legion Of Doom plot on the SUPER FRIENDS

but

as I mentioned before it seems too custom made to spook Trek purists to
        be a real plot

and (now that I think about it) would the Trek franchise really take a risk on
        essentially reusing a plot they used in a movie a few years ago?

(well, I guess in some ways Trek IV was like this)
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Dave Mc
          Administrator
          • Oct 20, 2002

It's hard to believe what you read about Trek ahead of time, they float out so much deception.

If this IS the real plot, guess I can take it, if it's the real cast, I have a serious issue. I'd rather see unknowns than Tom Cruise.

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

What's so hard about it? Kirk and crew already went back in time once to pick up a whale... same thing, different story.
            But Tom Cruise bothers me tho, they couldn't get someone else?
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Ray Liotta should be Captain Pike, not Tom Cruise.

This could very well be a red herring though.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Captain
                Fighting the good fight!
                • Jun 17, 2001

It is just a rumor so far...but it does make sense out of what Nimoy, Quinto, etc. have leaked out.
                It would explain why the future Enterprise crew ( of the original series)would all be involved, and might explain why a retired Nimoy would come out of retirement...being the main thrust behind the story.

Tom cruise is buddies with JJ Ahbrams, hence his being tied into this. I heard the Cruise rumor before, but he himself said he hadnt heard anything, and with his recent dispute with Paramount, I just couldnt believe it....yet it persists.Abhrams himself has said he wanted Cuise in the flick too....?

Russel Crowe admitted during a press conference for 3:10 to Yuma that he had been offered a part, but hadnt read a script yet, and as such wouldnt commit one way or the other. At the same Conference, Bale apparently uttered the word "Klingon" under his breath, half joking....but the current rumor as reported is Romulans. I have also heard the Romulan Commander part was created based on Crowes performance in Gladiator....but who knows.
                "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>and possibly his former captain Chris Pike (Tom Cruise...I know...what the ??)

Captain PIke, I thought you'd be... taller....

>A TNG era Romulan ship (Commander played by Russel Crowe apparently?) is sent back in time to alter the timeline by killing the most influential Starfleet commander and crew ever

.... in a drunken rage, with his bare hands....

>In short, the new series of movies are going to take place in an alternate time line from the original series.

Well, yeah... since that trick works so well for the big comic book companies....

>Yes, this free's up the new movies from existing continuity issues, but it seems to me its going to make things even more complicated over time!?

Nah; the constant revisions that each future producer insists on will do that.

*sigh*

Don C.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Ray Liotta should be Captain Pike, not Tom Cruise.
                    I was just about to post the same thing when I read your post Brian. I saw Cruise on TV the other night, and I mentioned to Cindy he was rumored to be playing Pike. Off the top of my head came Ray Liotta. He even LOOKS like Jeffery Hunter.

If this plot is real, I don't see why it would necessarily set up an alternate timeline. If TNG Spock and Co. are successful, things should go back to normal for Kirk and crew.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

If this plot is real, I don't see why it would necessarily set up an alternate timeline. If TNG Spock and Co. are successful, things should go back to normal for Kirk and crew.

Chris

Because they want to make more than one Movie. By changing the Timeline...it does free Them up from continuity. Honestly...I think the Idea is inspired.

Cruise....NOOOOOOOOO! Ray Liotta would be PERFECT! But...He's getting old. And did someone mention Russell Crowe....hmmmm, seems to Me He'd make a great Cpt.Pike as well.
                      Last edited by The Bat; Sep 13, '07, 5:39 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• batmanmc
                        mego batman collector
                        • Jun 22, 2004

tom cruise wht the ? i cant stand that guy. he may be enough to keep me way from the movie.

Comment

• toys2cool
                          Ultimate Mego Warrior
                          • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          I was just about to post the same thing when I read your post Brian. I saw Cruise on TV the other night, and I mentioned to Cindy he was rumored to be playing Pike. Off the top of my head came Ray Liotta. He even LOOKS like Jeffery Hunter.

Chris
                          Hey you're right Liotta does look like Pike,But I like Cruise..I know he's a nut now but I still like him and Crowe in this movie will be aweosme
                          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• number 6
                            Village Idiot
                            • Jul 10, 2003

Originally posted by The Bat
                            ...I think the Idea is inspired.
                            Really? I mean, isn't this basically the plot line for all of the Terminator movies? And First Contact? And an episode of the Super Friends?

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jun 28, 2006

Sorry folks, I've been a huge trek fan since about the age of... 2 AND i hate this idea and I hope it's not true:( I considered the last trek movie the last chance to do well on the big screen (at least for a while) and it didn't go over well. if they gimp this one up with some dumb time travel thing it's going to be years before anyone will touch the franchise again. it really sounds like they are trying to revive the franchise with big Hollywood names rather than tight writing and directing skills. I would just as soon see a group of nobodies being lead by a great director and a good script.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎