X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cmonster
    Banned
    • Feb 6, 2010

Opinions on the Sid and Marty Krofft shows

I had a conversation this morning with General Lepage on my way to work about something that really made me think;

We were talking about all the Krofft customs I've been working on, and Land of the Lost came up. He said that he hadn't watched it in a really long time, and then just recently he saw some episodes, and it was hard for him to sit through. Now, he was fully aware who he's talking to (I'm a HUGE Krofft fan, and I mean ALL the shows) but he was really saying that it was a lot more cheesy and hokey than he remembers.

My question to all of you is this; Do you watch those shows for pure nostalgia, or do you actually think they're any good? Over the years, I've discussed this quite a bit with friends, and have gotten all kinds of opinions, ranging from; "Those shows were awesome and still are..." to "How can you watch that crap as an adult?". Granted, I like it all, I truly do, but they definitely jumped the shark with far Out Space Nuts, particularly the episode where the "aliens of the week" are LITERALLY guys in off the shelf, Creature From the Black Lagoon masks and spandex outfits, but I still enjoy watching.

What do you guys think? Any favorites? Loves? Hates? Have to watch? Can't watch??? Let's hear it!

SC
  • Toy Talk
    Old and out of touch
    • Aug 7, 2009

You starting this thread is really funny timing. Just an hour or so ago Harvest and I were discussing your thread about the Sleestack (sp?) customs. I was telling her that I loved Land of the Lost as a kid, absolutely loved it! However, whenever I have tried to relive the glory days of watching it again I find it difficult. The special effects, or lack there of, really don't bother me at all. In fact, the special effects bring back the nostalgia feeling. The really poor acting is what makes the series hard for me to watch.

Bad acting appears to be my Achilles heel.
    "Procrastination is the art of planning for tomorrow."

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

You knew I was gonna reply to this one, didn't you, Sandy?

I love Saturday morning 70s stuff. This includes the shows, the cereals, (and their prizes) and the commercials. I have an immense collection of videos and spend every Saturday morning from 9am-noon watching my faves in my jammies and eating sugary cereal.

That said, I don't just watch this stuff occasionally and have trouble sitting through it. I think since I work w/ kids so much, and have a terrific memory to boot, that I can watch these things and embrace all the magic that was Saturday morning when I was a kid w/o all the cynicism of an adult.

The only Krofft show I can't really watch is Pryor's Place. I dunno, I guess it's just too 80s for me. The magic just isn't there. (and by the time this came out, I was about 15). I also don't watch these things any other time except Saturday morning. (that goes for other non-Krofft Saturday morning shows). It just ruins it for me.

I hope this answers your question, and if you think I'm nuts, so what? I enjoy regression. It keeps me sane!
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

That's a good question, but I think alot of it depends on how important the show was to you as a kid. For example, I watched 'Land of the Lost' as a kid because it was the closest thing to stop motion monsters I could routinely watch when those kind of films weren't playing at the dollar theater. But I didn't have any warm and fuzzy feelings from it outside of the fact that I was a kid when it was on. After it came out this past year and was televised all day on TVLand, I DVR'd the entire first season and sat back to watch them one saturday afternoon - result? Utter horror. I was bored beyond words. The stories were beyond silly, the dinosaurs (which are no longer a novelty on any level) looked like toys you could make at home and the characters moped and cried so affectionately towards one another, the show felt like Little House on the Prairie with T-Rex's. Just too dated for me to find a true nostalgic moment for myself. That being said, I would never think less of anyone who felt completely contrary to that opinion. If the show inspired you as a kid, I can understand the respect you would show it as an adult. For myself, it served more as a function to pass the time on Saturday mornings back in the early 70's. When I think of shows bringing back warm feelings, I think more of Lost in Space, '67 Spiderman, Ultraman, Batman, and the Superfriends.
        Last edited by MIB41; Mar 22, '10, 9:07 PM.

Comment

• jp1969
          Banned
          • Dec 10, 2009

Nostalgia has its own merits Sandy.
          Trying to relive it gives you different perspectives,I think.
          I prefer not looking at old favorites.
          Better to remember them,IMO.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Yes...bad acting and corny...but it's very nostalgic...and it warps me back to the 70s when I was a kid...that's why I still enjoy their shows.

Would I watch them everyday?

No...but once in a while...yes...good throwback fun viewing.
            sigpic

Comment

• megoat
              A Therefore Experience
              • Jun 10, 2003

As an adult I find the writing and the acting pretty weak. But, visually the Krofft shows are quite stunning. Great costumes. Great set design. Great overall look and feel. For me, this is their most enduring legacy......

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

My favorite Krofft shows?

The Banana Splits (costumes and sets designed by them) and H.R. Pufnstuf.

sigpic

Comment

• Bill
                  Parminant Memble
                  • Oct 20, 2002

In small doses they're still enjoyable, but more than two in a row and it gets boring.

Comment

• Bill
                    Parminant Memble
                    • Oct 20, 2002

"The magical flute is entering my forest!!!"

Comment

• gaga4toyz
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 10, 2004

I still like watching the land of the lost. I think part of the draw for me now is my 3 year old son loves it. My 6 year old daughter also likes it but is a little creeped out by the monsters. I read somewhere they only had like 3 costumes for the sleestacks and had to keep reusing them. My only gripe is the sleestacks could move around a little more and hit something with their weapons every now and then.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 12, 2004

I loved those shows when I was a kid, and I love them now. I'm sure nostalgia plays a role in my enjoyment, but I think these were very entertaining shows that have held up well over the years.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

My favorite Kroft show back in the day was Lidsville.

I tried to watch it a few years ago and it was impossible for me to sit through one episode.

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
                            Career Member
                            • May 13, 2007

Faves:
                            H.R. Pufnstuf - glad that kept this on air for years, couldn't get enough, except perhaps Witchiepoo's musical numbers [tell me you're working on a Witchiepoo, Sandy]

Land of the Lost - great adventure stories for 70's Saturday TV even if they didn't have John Dykstra doing the effects

Lidsville - CNR, what more is there to say

Okay in smaller doses:

Sigmund & the Sea Monsters - Johnny Whitaker was my kid idol, it got a little repetative, didn't watch second season, can't recall why

Far-Out Space Nuts

Krofft Supershow - Electra Woman & Dyna Girl, Dr Shrinker - the best
                            Bigfoot & Wildboy - less so, dunno why I liked Bigfoot on SMDM

The rest

Bugaloos - no opinion, didn't show it in my area

Pryor's Place - as HardyGirl said, too 80's

The Lost Saucer - Ugh, the worst couldn't watch it then

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

I watched the LOTL marathon on TV Land last year and it was unbearable...of course I was never a die-hard fan. But I still would probably sit through The Buggaloos, HR Pufnstuf, Sigmund, and Lidsville if they were shown somewhere. Maybe some Krofft Super Show stuff too. Wonder Bug was always a favorite, as were Electra Woman and Dyna-Girl.
                              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎