X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoapesnut
    The name says it all!
    • Dec 3, 2007

Just bought a wood pellet grill

Holy Moly, if you are planning on purchasing a grill now that warm weather is here, you need to seriously consider a wood pellet grill. I have been using a really nice charcoal grill for many years now. I will never go back to regular old propane grills. I also have a very small portable infa-red grill, which is what all of the fine steak houses use. That's another story.

My charcoal grill was pretty much shot at the end of last year and a friend recommended a wood pellet grill. I waited until this year and checked them out. They are a tad pricey, but WOW! We grill out quite a bit during the warm weather and my family all RAVED about how this was the best food I have ever grilled. Everything was tender and juicy with NOTHING burned whatsoever. I had chicken, steaks, burgers and kabobs and we like everything well done with little to no pink inside, which is a challenge when grilling not to overcook and dry stuff out. NO MORE! This grill is the answer. And it does all of the work for you. You just keep the hopper on the side filled with wood pellets (I used mesquite) and turn on the switch. The grill has an auger that slowly feeds the pellets into the firepot and a super hot element that ignites them. It works by indirect heat using a convection type method. You still have to flip the food every now and then as the porcelain grate still is the hottest part of the grill, but no flames touch, or even come near the food, it moves the heat all around the inside of the grill. Turn the switch off when you are done and I was amazed how quickly it cooled down so I could stow in back in my shed. An hour later it was cool to the touch. My charcoal grill would be glowing rd hot for hours after I was done and I always worried that I would burn my shed down when I had to put it back too soon.

No, I do not own stock in the company that makes them, nor do I work for their advertising agency. I was just completely floored with how easy this was to use and how awesome the food was and I wanted to share in case anyone is planning on getting a grill. Do yourself and your family a favor and get one of these puppies!
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Does it take the same pellets you would use in a wood pellet heating stove ?

Comment

• megoapesnut
      The name says it all!
      • Dec 3, 2007

No, you have to get the grill pellets. They come in various wood types for different (or no) flavoring. I got mesquite. They are $12 for a 20 pound bag and based on what I calculated it used for cooking, it seems like it used a pound. So a 20 pound bag should last for around 20 uses. So, less than a dollar a usage. But even if it was more expensive to use than charcoal or gas, I would still get it just for how clean it is and the quality of the food.

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

This sounds very interesting. My Father was really disenchanted last summer with a charcoal grill because he said the food tasted too much like charcoal. I don't really see any way around it. Maybe he would prefer this type of grill for food. Did you do much research into this item? What brands did you find to be better for their cost?

Comment

• megoapesnut
          The name says it all!
          • Dec 3, 2007

I did a little bit of research last year. There is an appliance store a couple blocks from my house and they showed up there last October. I thought they were a bit pricey so I spent some time over the winter checking them out. They are actually more expensive on Amazon so I took the plunge this year and I am glad that I did.

That's funny because I always thought gas grills gave the food a propane flavor. But, yeah, charcoal did have a flavor as well. The mesquite wood pellets were perfect for me, but you can get hickory or oak for no flavor from the wood.

here is the link to the manufacturer

http://www.traegergrills.com/

Comment

• Zemo
            Still Smokin'
            • Feb 14, 2006

With no flame can you sear with it. I mean get the fat on a steak crunchy?

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

That wood pellet grill looks pretty cool...

I'm building my own asado argentino grill soon...ever since my Uruguayan neighbor showed me the way...especially after sampling his asados...I'm sold.

Already-made Santa Maria grills are similar to asados argentinos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFKwas_YFYY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9SUcehifQI

Santa Maria BBQ Grill Outfitters

This other company sells similar ones...but they have loony prices...

Free Standing Grills

The key in asado argentino is the crank-controlled raised grill...you don't worry about controlling the flame...by simply raising the grill...you control the intensity and temperature of the surface. Perfect for direct and indirect heat...best of both worlds.

You get the best searing without burning on this type of grill....you get to control the height of the grill over the flames. The higher the grill, less heat, lower the grill, higher heat...and so on.

But my neighbor is going to build me a custom one...I'm doing some graphics for his business...so it's going to be a swap...

P.S. Charcoal is fine...but I prefer wood.
              Last edited by Hector; Mar 22, '10, 2:53 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• megoapesnut
                The name says it all!
                • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by Zemo
                With no flame can you sear with it. I mean get the fat on a steak crunchy?
                That's a good question and I can't think of any way to do that. I trim all of the fat off my steaks, so it's not an issue for me. But I can see where that might be a deal breaker for others. Hector's grill sounds like it might be the best of both worlds.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                  That's a good question and I can't think of any way to do that. I trim all of the fat off my steaks, so it's not an issue for me. But I can see where that might be a deal breaker for others. Hector's grill sounds like it might be the best of both worlds.
                  I think your grill is awesome too...yours is more worry free...sometimes that's best...especially when you just want to relax and enjoy the day...without having to concentrate too much on the actual grilling.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎