Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Y'know what'd be cool if Mattel did with the Retro figures?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spamn
    Minty and All-Original!
    • Mar 28, 2002

Y'know what'd be cool if Mattel did with the Retro figures?

If they took a page out of the DC Universe 6" line and gave us something to 'collect and connect'. Something they could never sell separately, like a vehicle or a playset. Kind of like how the Stargate figure waves each had the pieces of a scale stargate in them.

I'm imagining a snap-together free-standing false-front to the Super Friends cartoon's Hall of Justice.

I can't imagine that all the pieces could be contained in a single wave, and it would definitely screw up the retro design of the packaging, but I think a little bonus like that would be cool and might take a little of the sting off the price point of the figures.

It might also tick off anyone who might've been planning not to get the entire line, or not open the packages too. But even so, it'd be a great way to get scale playsets or other things to us.
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

I've had enough of build a figures. This would probably raise the price too.
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• drmego
      EMCE Toys
      • Jun 15, 2001

It is a cool idea but it couldn't be the back of the card because of all the legal
      information that has to go there.

And it would probably raise the price.
      www.drmego.com
      www.megoman.com
      www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Sandman9580
        Career Member
        • Feb 16, 2010

I totally second this. I think a BAF would be awesome. (And give the heads and costumes to the figures that would otherwise sell the fewest ). But playsets, a false front, diorama cards, anything would be appreciated. I really lament the fact that--while we're living in the age of awesome figures--the age of playsets seems to have passed. (I'm glad Dida could fill some of the void on the Mego front.) True, they were never a common thing, and maybe toy comanies figure they're just not worth the trouble. But I love playsets. I want a Mattel Batcave and I wish DST and EMCE would give us a Mission to Gamma repro. (Their repro bridge sold well, didn't it?)

But staying on-topic here, it would be awesome if they included a piece of playset with every figure. There's a danger though that it might not then be completed--like the Star Trek movie build-a-bridge. (Though Mattel could offer the remainders on Matty.) And, I agree^^^, the price would just go up.

Nothing's ever simple!

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

you didn't find your part of the Invisible Plane?
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• david_b
            Never had enough toys..
            • May 9, 2008

I've STILL got to track down that nice Galactus that JP1969 showed off. He's awesome.

(Wasn't he a 'piece-together'..?)

david_b
            Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• spamn
              Minty and All-Original!
              • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by david_b
              I've STILL got to track down that nice Galactus that JP1969 showed off. He's awesome.

(Wasn't he a 'piece-together'..?)

david_b
              Yeah, he was. I think he was the first Marvel Legends build a figure.

But instead of piecing together that one, just wait for Hasbro to release the Electronic articulated 19" Galactus this year. Probably cheaper than getting the 12" one off ebay, and more detailed.

Comment

• spamn
                Minty and All-Original!
                • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                No and I'm LOOKING RIGHT AT THE CARD!

Comment

• spamn
                  Minty and All-Original!
                  • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by drmego
                  It is a cool idea but it couldn't be the back of the card because of all the legal information that has to go there.

And it would probably raise the price.
                  Ah well. It's too bad the runs are too limited to have a lower price point. I hope that changes.

Comment

• spamn
                    Minty and All-Original!
                    • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by Sandman9580
                    But staying on-topic here, it would be awesome if they included a piece of playset with every figure. There's a danger though that it might not then be completed--like the Star Trek movie build-a-bridge. (Though Mattel could offer the remainders on Matty.) And, I agree^^^, the price would just go up.
                    There was a Trek Movie Build a Bridge? Which Trek movie? Who offered it? What scale?

Comment

• rcbats1
                      Banned
                      • Nov 1, 2005

You know what I think would be cool...thats if they'd put the Heroes or villains actual Logo name on the packaging like the old Mego Boxes and cards.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                        To Fear is Not Logical...
                        • Feb 17, 2008

There was a Trek Movie Build a Bridge? Which Trek movie? Who offered it? What scale?
                        It was the new movie figures by Playmates. the 3 3/4 figs had extra consoles and chairs that went with the $30 bridge playset. I don't know the breakdown of who came with what.

I like the Mattel figures as they are. I personally feel that BAF stuff is only there to force people to collect 'em all. I like that the "retro" goes the whole nine yards and you get a figure. The accessories are a plus, but they go with the figure and it all stands alone. Maybe the idea of a diorama background could work. Perhaps that could have the character logo on it, too. Like Batman could have a cityscape with the batsignal and his logo and it is on a bi-fold of cardstock behind the figure and fits into the bubble?
                        It's all good!

Comment

• Sandman9580
                          Career Member
                          • Feb 16, 2010

Originally posted by spamn
                          Yeah, the Playmates one. Good concept, too bad it wasn't executed well. From Micheal Crawford's site (scroll down to "Worst Vehicle or Playset" just below the Hot Toys Batman/Tumbler photo): http://www.mwctoys.com/mwc_picks_2009.htm

Here's just the picture: http://img.trekmovie.com/images/merc...Compressed.jpg

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                            WANTED for card bending
                            • Apr 26, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            ZING!!!!
                            I hate build a figures, It kind of forces you to buy the ones you do not want. I don't want to feel strong-armed. I think a mail away is always cooler, because the simplicity of these figures and their packaging is what makes them special. I did have a really cool Idea though, Mail-away BOXES that would be awesome!!!
                            Last edited by bizzaro megomauler; Mar 22, '10, 1:15 AM.

Comment

• Agent of SHIELD
                              • May 10, 2007

Accessory: Green Arrow backing card de-warper.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎