X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

He'll save everyone of us!

I've never really understood what possessed Mego to make these beautiful action figures based on the Flash Gordon comic strip, it was two years before the movie and animated series and while I admit I knew who the character was as a kid, I just didn't see this being a hit.

Anyway, I'm really glad they did, 'cause they're awesome! They're at a slightly larger scale then the Superheroes which allowed more detail in the outfits as well they come with a ton of stuff. I'm of the mind they are the best action figures ever made of the classic characters.

Speaking of Flash Gordon: One of my favourite modern Toy producers Bif Bang Pow! is releasing a set of Mego like 8" Flash Gordon figures based on the 1980 movie. If you read this blog, you'll know I am somewhat obsessed with that fine film, so it goes without saying that I'm pretty pleased.
    Hopefully I can drive sales to convince Jason Lenzi to make an 8" Prince Vultan, I need a Brian Blessed doll in a bad way and so do all of you...

Check out Ming and Flash at Entertainment Earth.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • captact
    King of Super Queens!
    • Aug 19, 2007

AT LAST!!!! A FLASH GORDON FAN LIKE ME!!!!!! (you can tell by my avatar) I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! A PRINCE VULTAN WOULD GO GREAT WITH THIS SET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• vulcan2074
      Live Long and Prosper
      • Mar 23, 2008

I Love Flash Gordon. I totally agree that MEGO made the Best Flash Gordon line ever. I've been a fan since I was a little kid. I remember when I first saw the movie, it just blew me away. I can't wait to get my hands on the new line from BBP. I'm excited.
      Sammy

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
        MeGoing
        • May 14, 2003

I'm really looking forward to those Bif Bang Pow figures!

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
          House of a thousand Megos
          • Aug 10, 2009

I definately digg the new figures does anyone know when we can buy them?
          Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Trappy Trek Freak
            I definately digg the new figures does anyone know when we can buy them?
            Honestly, if you want to see them, you should preorder them from places like EE. Out of all the BBP lines, Flash needs the support.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

I still need a complete loose Flash. But I love the line.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                Removed.
                • Jun 14, 2008

I like the look of these figures but I hate having "odd" sizes in my collection. I prefer the 8" format overall. The only other size I don't mind is 12" GIJoe scale or SMDM.
                Rich

Comment

• HapSlash
                  Tribal Witchdoctor
                  • Nov 18, 2009

Originally posted by captact
                  AT LAST!!!! A FLASH GORDON FAN LIKE ME!!!!!! (you can tell by my avatar) I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! A PRINCE VULTAN WOULD GO GREAT WITH THIS SET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You and me both. I really hope these do well. I would love to see more of them made.
                  ALL HAIL MING!

A slapped together sample of my work:
                  HapSlash's Image Slideshow

Comment

• Sandman9580
                    Career Member
                    • Feb 16, 2010

Looking forward to the movie figures, but I really hope someone makes classic Raymond figures again.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 1, 2005

I have to admit I tend to be a bigger fan of buying figures right off the shelves in a store rather than ordering online, but if the pre-sales will really help BBP and the Flash line then I'm game! I've wanted FG movie based Mego-type figures since I saw it in the theaters all those many moons ago, I really hope they do well.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Honestly, if you want to see them, you should preorder them from places like EE. Out of all the BBP lines, Flash needs the support.
                        If BBP made classic Buster Crabbe type Flash I'd be all over it. Not so much featherback hairdo Flash.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• spamn
                          Minty and All-Original!
                          • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by nvmbrsdoom5
                          I have to admit I tend to be a bigger fan of buying figures right off the shelves in a store rather than ordering online, but if the pre-sales will really help BBP and the Flash line then I'm game! I've wanted FG movie based Mego-type figures since I saw it in the theaters all those many moons ago, I really hope they do well.
                          What's weird is that I think the Mego body design works even better at the 9" scale than at the 8".

Comment

• david_b
                            Never had enough toys..
                            • May 9, 2008

Reason for release..? Probably just purchasing rights for another space line since they passed up on Star Wars.., since George Lucas was talking up the direct connection to Saturday Morning serials when the movie first came out, so Mego probably thought of the original 'genre'..

Why the 9" scale is anyone's guess, but I love the detail as well..! Just a guess.

Actually, I should get a Dale to pose as a Romana (Mary Tamm) for my Tom Baker figure.

david_b
                            Last edited by david_b; Mar 17, '10, 9:16 AM.
                            Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

I have heard from Mego people that they were trying to move to this 9" scale in the late seventies, only Flash and Ali were seen stateside but Logan's Run was also planned.

The reasons I've heard range greater detail to enhanced price point. Around '79 Mego seemed to abandon this tactic and just go for 1/6th.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎