Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$130 for Melting-goo figures? Any help, or answers, on the horizon?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geoffdude
    Banned
    • Apr 18, 2009

$130 for Melting-goo figures? Any help, or answers, on the horizon?

OK.

I, like most of you no doubt, have spent $130 base cost on these new EMCE/Mattel toys.

Almost all of them are experiencing some sort of chemical reaction, and the toys (figures) are being damaged (body, clothing and accessories) to some degree. We know the noses on some are already suffering some damage, boots probably too if making contact with the goo. What we don't know is what the goo is, or what it portends for the longevity of these $22 collector figures we paid for.

I know this post touches on the thread of concerns and complaints here already, but I would like this to thread to have real answers (from whomever, Doc or a Mattel Rep) on what we are supposed to do now? Answers that members here can reference for assistance without getting the run-around from the Mattel CS Dept.

Questions:

-Is Mattel aware of the problem?
    -Will Mattel replace these due to the goo?
    -What is the goo?
    -If Mattel won't replace these are there any other solutions to prevent damage?
    -Are these subject to a recall (Like the Mattel/Lead toys)?

I'm really hoping some true help comes from this thread/request. As it is, it feels like this chemical-goo issue is not getting the serious amount of attention it warrents before additional damage is done to these figures.

Regards,

G.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE 3/17/10
    Originally posted by drmego
    I posted the response from Mattel in the other thread on this subject.
    Our contact at Mattel is a toy designer who is a full-time employee of
    the company. I don't mention his name because I don't want anyone
    bothering him.

Enjoy.

Our contact at Mattel got the answer.

The first batch of figures had paint migration onto the card, so the factory
    spritzed the heads with silicone based oil that will NOT stain the costumes.

If the sprayer had a light touch, the oil evaporated, if the sprayer had a
    lead finger - the excess oil ended up on the blister.

It may not look pretty, but it is not toxic, will not cause mutations, or
    destroy the long term existence of these figures

UPDATED 3/16/10
    -Mattel is aware of the problem. Doc has contacted them, I've called their CS, maybe others have called too.
    -Mattel offered me a "refund" but not replacements (they don't have any to offer)
    Last edited by geoffdude; Mar 17, '10, 10:15 PM.
  • saildog
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 9, 2006

For me, I'm not really worried about the money I spent. I wanted the figures and I took all but one of them off the card already and none of them show any signs of sweating, now that they are off the card.

I realize many of you will feel very different about this issue than me, but I bought them to enjoy and not to keep on the card. (Well, it would have been nice to have my second GA all carded and boxed up, but what the heck.)

I'm happy with these even with all of the issues. I can live with it. My worry is that the quality issues will keep people from buying them and that will jeopardize future releases in the line.

I want these things to sell well so Mattel makes a ton of money and we get tons of updated Heroes on the market. Obviously, they are going to have to fix some issues for that to happen.

Comment

• Harbingerboy
      Career Member
      • Jun 18, 2007

Thank you for posting this. I've been seriously concerned since plunking down $200 for my 2 sets and then noticing the oily residue inside the plastic. This needs focus and we need answers.

The damage to aesthetic is bad enough, but now this problem is possibly hazardous, whether to the product or possibly the consumer? It is a disappointing issue for the otherwise stellar return of WGSH, but from a consumer pov this is beyond working out the kinks in a new line (working out the kinks is figuring out how to not make hunchback figures so buyers don't have to fix the product). At $20 per toy this is unacceptable. Product-damaging residue is unacceptable.

Comment

• geoffdude
        Banned
        • Apr 18, 2009

While I appreaciate that some may not collect, or want, these figures on the card, many do. So please let's keep this thread for just answers to the problem, which really pertains to the figures being carded now, and staying carded forever.

The thread is specific to an issue.

BTW-regardless of the item/toy/whatever.. this sort of chemical reaction should NOT be happening at all. There must be some safety violations happening.

g.

Comment

• saildog
          Permanent Member
          • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by geoffdude
          While I appreaciate that some may not collect, or want, these figures on the card, many do. So please let's keep this thread for just answers to the problem, which really pertains to the figures being carded now, and staying carded forever.

BTW-regardless of the item/toy/whatever.. this sort of chemical reaction should NOT be happening at all. There must be some safety violations happening.

g.
          Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression I didn't think it was an issue. It clearly is and it affected one of my figures that I intended to keep carded.

I just don't want to write Mattel off or call for heads on a platter. It benefits us to keep a cool head, ask them to address the issues and hope that they do. The line won't sell if Mattel doesn't fix the issues, but we can't sit around and hope for their demise based on what we have seen so far.

I fear for the future of the line based on the complaints so far, but we don't know what is causing this or if they will become "melting-goo" figures, but they aren't quite "melting-goo" figures, at this point.

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 18, 2007

I think I'm gonna hold off for a bit on buying these for kids until I hear from Mattel if this is safe for kids....I gave one to a friends five year old son, and now I'm a little worried. His is out of the package, so the "sweating" is no longer visible, but is there a toxic film on these figures? Common Mattel this was brought up weeks ago ....how hard is it to swap the fluid and test what it is? We need some answers.

Comment

• saildog
              Permanent Member
              • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by Fuzzysnail
              I think I'm gonna hold off for a bit on buying these for kids until I hear from Mattel if this is safe for kids....I gave one to a friends five year old son, and now I'm a little worried. His is out of the package, so the "sweating" is no longer visible, but is there a toxic film on these figures? Common Mattel this was brought up weeks ago ....how hard is it to swap the fluid and test what it is? We need some answers.
              Of course all of the facts aren't in, but from what I have observed with my examples, I think it is the bubble and not the figure.

Again, this is a new phenomenon and the question remains to be answered, but with vented bubbles and the figures off of the card I saw the same thing as I did with a figure on the card.

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by geoffdude

g.
                No offence, but we already have 2 threads covering this specific issue, no need to create a third one. You did start it however, people will respond. Don't complain now if the answer isn't what you expected, that's bound to happen.
                If you really wanted an answer you should've posted this in one of the other threads (or both). The more threads on a certain issue the more the answers are spread out all over the place and eventually no one remembers who said what on which issue.
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• toystalker
                  none
                  • Mar 27, 2008

years ago i had a batch of factory old stock mib dolls from the maker pedigree who also made sindy and others... they had the plastic disease... i had trouble selling them to doll collectors as any plastic doll collectors know the infected doll if displayed and rubbed against another uninfected doll can spread and spread through the lot of your collection if in contact

if you find a figure with the sweaty almost wet slimy feel to the plastic keep it away from the rest of your dolls and expensive action figures

blimey lets all hope its not the same type of plastic disease like years ago...
                  if anything lets hope is the bubble

the thing i find odd is that some folks have issues and others dont, i have invested money in these and have checked all my stock, thankfully i have no bad issues at all

i always thought there was going to be teething problems same as anything else

im pleased to announce no issues and all characters are selling well

but lets hope for you guys with problems something gets resolved

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

I guess I got lucky, because none of Mine have this problem(and one of my GA's is still MOC). I also decided to be patient, and wait for them to hit Toys R' Us so I could inspect them up close...to find the best ones.
                    sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
                      Superman's Pal
                      • Jun 17, 2005

Originally posted by The Bat
                      I also decided to be patient, and wait for them to hit Toys R' Us so I could inspect them up close...to find the best ones.
                      While I'd normally agree this is a good approach, the problem is something that progresses over time, so the figures that look great on the shelf could eventually develop the drips no matter how clear they look in the store. Mine looked just fine when I got them a few weeks ago, now they're all drippy.

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by MegoSteve
                        While I'd normally agree this is a good approach, the problem is something that progresses over time, so the figures that look great on the shelf could eventually develop the drips no matter how clear they look in the store. Mine looked just fine when I got them a few weeks ago, now they're all drippy.
                        Interesting. Did you open them...or leave them on the Card?

Looks like I might have to set my 2nd Green Arrow free.
                        sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
                          Superman's Pal
                          • Jun 17, 2005

They're all still on the card.

I think the drip problem is with the bubble, not the figures themselves.

Comment

• MightyMegs
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 5, 2009

I opened my figures, so I never noticed a problem. When I first read about it though, I thought it might be mold-release oil residue. I also noticed that the bubbles have little holes punched in the bottom... perhaps to let the liquid to evaporate?

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

I picked up another Supes and Luthor last night. After a thorough inspection and careful analysis, I have no idea what is going to happen with the figures that have gotten the goo. On my two, everywhere that the head vinyl is touching the bubble it appears that a reaction is taking place. For Superman, it's his nose. For Luthor, it's the top of his head and his nose. If your figures are carded, either de-card them or return them is my advice. The vinyl in the heads is being damaged by this process. I pulled mine, and the figures cleaned up with minimal wear to both noses. I hope they don't suffer any long-term effects, but I am pretty sure they would have if they had stayed pinned against the bubble longer.

I noticed something interesting. I couldn't figure out why the Lex head rubbed the bubble top, but Superman's cleared. If anything, Lex should be a little shorter since his head is a de-haired Mr. F. The problem is that his boots are at least 1/8" or 3/16" of an inch longer than Superman's, and as a result they don't fit the bubble and push the figure upwards.

I think the chemical composition of the "goo" is a legitimate concern. Kids rub their faces, eyes, mouth.......if they have this stuff on their hands from a drippy figure that their parents didn't notice, I doubt that it's healthy.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎