X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

Any ideas on tinting the heads?

I I finally got a set of the Retro Heroes. Dismembered them and put them on EMCE bodies so they'll blend as much as possible with original Megos. Any thoughts on giving these guys a nice Mego suntan? Their pale flesh is distracting to me.
    This profile is no longer active.
  • David Lee
    The Fix-it-up Chappie
    • Jun 10, 2002

Funny you should ask... I plant to dunk them in tan dye this weekend to see if I can match our Cast-a-Way Body myself... I'll let ya know how it turns out. ie. how long to bath them to achieve a DOC MEGO/VINTAGE/CAT tan...

-Dave

Comment

• D!n0-M@n
      w/ Life-Like Hair & Beard
      • Sep 17, 2008

Awesome! I'm curious to see how this turns out.
      MY GODS ARE SMALL...... AND PLASTIC!

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

When I painted my first custom, I kept getting frustrated that I couldn't get the skin color "right". But then my wife said to me, "honestly, you're painted head has a much more realistic skin tone than that Captain Kirk head." I couldn't see it myself until she pointed it out to me and forced me to look past my nostalgia, but she was right... the Mego skin color is really kinda unnatural. The Mattel color is more realistic really.

Sadly, despite it all, I still would prefer it that fake Mego color. Old dogs/new tricks and all that jazz... But I can understand why they wouldn't want to create new toys with that skin tone.

Comment

• megoscott
          Founding Partner
          • Nov 17, 2006

Cool, let us know how it works out, David. I'm also pretty sure Green Lantern should have painted eyes, the white eyeballs are too modern for my taste.
          This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

I'm starting to think Mattel shoulod start selling just the outfits to us collectors.
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

my thoughts exactly. MegoMeet will be full of tearing apart figs and modding I bet.

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by David Lee
                Funny you should ask... I plant to dunk them in tan dye this weekend to see if I can match our Cast-a-Way Body myself... I'll let ya know how it turns out. ie. how long to bath them to achieve a DOC MEGO/VINTAGE/CAT tan...

-Dave
                Hiya Dave,

What type of dye are you planning on experimenting with?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I was thinking about dyeing them as well. I use Rit dye, and was planning on mixing brown & orange...

But I need extra figs first. Looking forward to Dave's results.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• David Lee
                    The Fix-it-up Chappie
                    • Jun 10, 2002

I was gonna give it try tonight but was out of TAN...I'll pick some up at lunch tomorrow and give it a go after work...

-Dave

Comment

• drmego
                      EMCE Toys
                      • Jun 15, 2001

The skin color is PMS 162 - DC prefers that color for caucasian flesh.

Mego started out lighter in color, then "malibu tanned" as the years
                      went on.
                      www.drmego.com
                      www.megoman.com
                      www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by drmego
                        Mego started out lighter in color, then "malibu tanned" as the years
                        went on.
                        That's an excellent point Paul! Me...I don't mind the color. Most of my Customs are painted a similar color...so the Mattel/Megos blend right in.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎