X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoSteve
    Superman's Pal
    • Jun 17, 2005

My first red ring!

I was playing Mass Effect 2 tonight after a few hours of Williams Pinball, and downloaded the new Arc Projector weapon that was available. As soon as I finished downloading, the graphics in the game went all green and fuzzy, so I decided to reboot. After I rebooted, the console wouldn't start at all, and I got the dreaded E74 red ring of death.

I guess it's a coincidence because I haven't heard any other reports of trouble with that particular download. This is the first RRoD I've had, and I've owned a 360 since a few months launch.

Luckily, this is covered under warranty. If it weren't, I'd be pretty disappointed.
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

You're lucky yours is covered. The problems we had with ours weren't, and it was a huge headache to get it taken care of.
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
      MeGoing
      • May 14, 2003

Sorry to hear that. I was thinking about getting an XBox but then I saw how many broken ones were on Ebay, and decided to go for another PS3 for my American home.

Comment

• jimbutsu
        Memory *is* RAM!
        • Apr 11, 2002

I've fixed a redringed 360- it's doable, but you need to be pretty nerdy and really know what you're doing in order to do it right (a lot of the "fixes" out there aren't real repairs). What is the secondary error code on it?
        "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• MegoSteve
          Superman's Pal
          • Jun 17, 2005

Don't know what the secondary code was. It said E74 and had a red ring at the lower right quarter of the circle.

It's already on its way to the Microsoft repair facility.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Sorry to hear about your problems. My original 360 red ringed after a Microsoft console update, and I was convinced it was the update that caused it... until I found out how prevalent the problem has always been. I do think the more taxing games and such can help bring on the dreaded RROD.

On the plus side, I have had no issues since my console was repaired. And Mass Effect 2 is wicked awesome.

Comment

• MegoSteve
              Superman's Pal
              • Jun 17, 2005

Mass Effect 2 is definitely amazing. It's one of the few games I've played through the entire way, and I'm tempted to do it again to see the different endings.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

Hope it got all fixed up for you.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                  WANTED for card bending
                  • Apr 26, 2008

Originally posted by MegoSteve
                  Don't know what the secondary code was. It said E74 and had a red ring at the lower right quarter of the circle.

It's already on its way to the Microsoft repair facility.

Bummer, I am on my 6th one. Micro$oft knew the system's design was faulty from the get-go, but wanted to beat PS3 to the table. you can fix a redring but it requires some work, a last resort for those out of warranty folks .
                  "E74: AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. If the cable is known to be working then there is a 90% chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip connected directly to the AV cable) in rare cases it is the GPU."

If it is a newer system all you needed to do was try another wire, but the tell taler sign you are screwed is the circle light...the GPU (graphics processor) was damaged from overheating.

yet for some reason my sega genesis still runs perfectly.....HMMMMM

Comment

• boynightwing
                    That Carl Guy
                    • Apr 24, 2002

We bought one for work about 2 months ago. The expensive comes with everything edition. We only use it saturday's because people can rent out the theater before we open to play xbox. So it gets 2 hours of use every Saturday for 2 months and this week it died... Doesn't say much for Microsoft thats for sure.

Comment

• MegoSteve
                      Superman's Pal
                      • Jun 17, 2005

Mine was fixed and back to me within two weeks. It's working just fine.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎