X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DocDrako
    Formerly Doc Drako
    • Nov 11, 2004

Showing The Love For Doc Mego & Mattel

Ever since Mattel put out the new figures there has been alot of discussion about design flaws. I'm not innocent of it either. Personally I wanted something completely different as far as body design goes. My idea of the perfect 'new' body was a T2 body with swivel biceps and hands that could grip onto accessories. Easy enough I thought. Was I disappointed? At first. But there are "Megos" hanging on the pegs at Toys R Us in 2010.

Do I want Mattel to improve the body design? Sure I do. But I can say with absolute truth that if they don't change a single thing, I will still buy every single Retro Action figure that comes out. Why? Because the figures make my son happy. He made me realize that these aren't just collectibles. They're toys. And they're pretty cool toys.

At the risk of being hated, let me bring up the unsightly rivet joints, lame hands, and wide-legged stance of the Mego's T1s. And the HUGE heads on some of the T2s. And the incorrect costume on Captain America, and the wrong cape on Shazam. And the Human Torch's so called flames. The problems that the original Megos had didn't stop me from loving them as a kid, and my son could care less about swivel arms and body design.

So let me just give a big THANK YOU to Doc Mego and to Mattel for giving my son and I some awesome new toys to play with. Keep them coming!

YOU ROCK, DOC MEGO!
    YOU ROCK MATTEL!
    ROCK ON!

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST
  • jp1969
    Banned
    • Dec 10, 2009

Ditto

Originally posted by DocDrako
    Ever since Mattel put out the new figures there has been alot of discussion about design flaws. I'm not innocent of it either. Personally I wanted something completely different as far as body design goes. My idea of the perfect 'new' body was a T2 body with swivel biceps and hands that could grip onto accessories. Easy enough I thought. Was I disappointed? At first. But there are "Megos" hanging on the pegs at Toys R Us in 2010.

Do I want Mattel to improve the body design? Sure I do. But I can say with absolute truth that if they don't change a single thing, I will still buy every single Retro Action figure that comes out. Why? Because the figures make my son happy. He made me realize that these aren't just collectibles. They're toys. And they're pretty cool toys.

At the risk of being hated, let me bring up the unsightly rivet joints, lame hands, and wide-legged stance of the Mego's T1s. And the HUGE heads on some of the T2s. And the incorrect costume on Captain America, and the wrong cape on Shazam. And the Human Torch's so called flames. The problems that the original Megos had didn't stop me from loving them as a kid, and my son could care less about swivel arms and body design.

So let me just give a big THANK YOU to Doc Mego and to Mattel for giving my son and I some awesome new toys to play with. Keep them coming!

YOU ROCK, DOC MEGO!
    YOU ROCK MATTEL!
    ROCK ON!

Very well put.
    They are toys after all.
    The body designs get unfairly compared to mego's,but they arent Mego's.
    The new body types hold poses that megos couldnt achieve and have great potential for display poses.
    Not to mention the fun mego heads will have playing with their children.=Priceless!
    Hats off Doc!

Comment

• Toy Talk
      Old and out of touch
      • Aug 7, 2009

Now this is a thread I completely agree with. My son is so into these figures that I could care less about any of the flaws. Retro Mego is alive because of Paul and Mattel and they have my total support. I only wish I could have taken a picture of Hayden in his excitement when he found them at TRU all on his own.
      "Procrastination is the art of planning for tomorrow."

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

I played for a half hour yesterday with my twins boys (4 yrs old). One had GL, the other had Supes and I got stuck doing my best Lex Luthor evil laugh. I loved every second of it.

To hear my son say "Meanwhile...at the Hall of Justice" was priceless.

I guarantee you, I will buy EVERY retro action figure they sell.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

I'm curious how long it will take before Doc can tell us if Mattel is "happy" with
          the sales. Obviously the actual sale figures can not be shared, but Doc should be able to get a sense of how the line is doing out of the gate and if the future shines favorably or not. I think that is the word most of us are waiting to hear.

Comment

• spamn
            Minty and All-Original!
            • Mar 28, 2002

Put me on the list of 'gotta get 'em all' whether they change or not. Not for kids that I don't have, but for me. Me, me, me.

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Hey, you don't have to convince me, I'm a fan. Sure, the legs need work, other than that I'm happy. I wasn't pleased with their body design at first, but now that we know everything is interchangeable I'm cool with it, except fot the legs the way they are now. But they should be improved by wave 2. A couple of hick-ups were bound to happen with a "new" toy line.
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• D!n0-M@n
                w/ Life-Like Hair & Beard
                • Sep 17, 2008

I'm on the list of "gettin' 'em all" too. I love 'em! I'm stoked there out there! And most of all I really appreciate EMCE's and Mattel's efforts at returning the best toy line to the market today! There's "Megos" at TRU!!! What more can I say? A HUGE thanks to everyone that made this happen.
                MY GODS ARE SMALL...... AND PLASTIC!

Comment

• cdhall
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 14, 2004

?

Originally posted by Meule
                  but now that we know everything is interchangeable I'm cool with it
                  Is there a thread on this. I don't know what you mean.

I'm also confused. Mattel and Emce are making the WGSH remake right?

So is making Trek? Diamond and Emce?

I have at least 2 of almost every Trek figure. 8 of Scotty, 3-4 Klingons and Romulans for example.

I haven't seen a Superhero at Toys R Us. I have seen Trek at Blockbuster and I may have bought Spock there, can't recall. Most of mine came from the FAO Schwarz sale, Hastings, and online here I guess.

I will get GL. I would like Green Arrow. Otherwise I'm not sure.

BUT my son does like the Trek figures and we are getting him a set and as I've posted I bought a Diamond Capts Chair and I am waiting to get some type of Space Command Center from Dida. My son wanted a Retro Bridge but I talked him out of it. I sort of want access to a Dida myself.

Anyway, I'm buying 2 of everything my son and I want to play with and he is playing with them!

Woot! God bless Doc and this forum/members for making these days happen!

They are toys! And they are fun! I'm not so much of a collector as I've said on other posts. Mine are all getting used somehow.
                  —-
                  “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
                  - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
                  - Captain Spock
                  https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                    WANTED for card bending
                    • Apr 26, 2008

Have to say I originally planned to buy only Lantern and Sinestro, But once i got a real live look at them, I had to get all 4. Hope to share these with the family kids come gift time!

Thanks Paul and Mattel!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

Now this is what it's all about. These figures are bringing Dads and kids together, and making new Mego heads out of a new generation.

BTW guys, I have a thread started on the Buzz page about your kids and these figures and I would love to see some pics of them enjoying these like you did as a kid.
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• exoduschj
                        9th Degree Mego Cultist
                        • Apr 22, 2009

Great thread! I'm all for giving Doc all the thanks in the world for the hard work he's done in delivering on these. I'm very happy with all the ones I've got so far and my girls love playing with them. It's not everyday someone can turn a hobby/something they love into a full time job, but Doc has managed to pull it off! Ya gotta envy the guy! You're not going to please everyone all the time, but you have to appreciate Doc's patience and willingness to listen to our feedback (constructive or not).

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by cdhall
                          Is there a thread on this. I don't know what you mean.

I'm also confused. Mattel and Emce are making the WGSH remake right?

So is making Trek? Diamond and Emce?
                          The head, arms and legs can be switched between EMCE, Cast-A-Way, Mattel and Mego bodies

Yes

And yes
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• TEXASFETT
                            #1 Bounty Hunter
                            • Aug 29, 2008

I also agree this is a good thread! This toy line is one of the best things that happened this year.

Comment

• Iron_fox85
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 14, 2008

despite its errors i love the toy line. finally i get a superman! my solution to the wobbly waist. just super glue the waist so it'll hold and not flop XD

In June Of 1938 A Hero Is Born...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎