Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you swap Mattel bodies/heads/hands?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDeRouen
    Author of Small Things
    • Jun 14, 2001

How do you swap Mattel bodies/heads/hands?

I finally got some of these for my son and, well, the bodies do indeed suck. What is the best way to swap the head and hands onto another body? (I'm thinking Castaway)

Thanks!
    --
    Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Running under hot tap water worked for me. Or boiling(To conserve water). Very easy onto a CAT body. Head was trick but once that pin is broken inside the plug breaks off it's easy to put on a new body with hot water.

Comment

• MegoNutt
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 8, 2009

check out my super recent post over in "Custom Mego Discussion" to see how I did it.
      If you need a hole, I can dig it.

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 27, 2004

You can try and fiddle with the warm water trick but I just about tore the neck plug off my Superman trying it that way. There is a hardened base to the neck plug that bascially keeps the head from coming off. Plus you're gonna use like 10 gallons of water.

Take the body. Go out to your garage and put the body in a vice right in the middle of his chest. Squeeze the chest in a vice and it will split right at the shoulder and the head will literally pop out. Cut off the the hard base of the head with an x-acto.

You can't replace the hands. You can however put the forearms on a CTVT or Mego body, using the Mego pin. Just put a flat-head screwdriver at the elbow joint and twist - it will separate from the pin and you can discard it.

My method takes less then a minute and the only place for the bodies in the trash anyway. (Sorry again to Paul - I just hate those friggin' things)
        Like M.A.S.K.?
        www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• david_b
          Never had enough toys..
          • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by Corellian Corvette
          You can try and fiddle with the warm water trick but I just about tore the neck plug off my Superman trying it that way. There is a hardened base to the neck plug that bascially keeps the head from coming off. Plus you're gonna use like 10 gallons of water.

Take the body. Go out to your garage and put the body in a vice right in the middle of his chest. Squeeze the chest in a vice and it will split right at the shoulder and the head will literally pop out. Cut off the the hard base of the head with an x-acto.

You can't replace the hands. You can however put the forearms on a CTVT or Mego body, using the Mego pin. Just put a flat-head screwdriver at the elbow joint and twist - it will separate from the pin and you can discard it.

My method takes less then a minute and the only place for the bodies in the trash anyway. (Sorry again to Paul - I just hate those friggin' things)

I did the SAME thing to the CTVT Space:1999 space suit figures, just to get the white life support packs off. I just started pulling the arms/legs off, and threw the body out. Made my life a lot easier, since the bodies were terrible anyways.

Put it all on a vintage body and voila..!

david_b
          Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• megocrazy
            Museum Trouble Maker
            • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Corellian Corvette
            You can't replace the hands.
            The Mattel wrist pins push right into Doc's forearms. Just pull the factory wrist pins out and pop em in.
            It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• drmego
              EMCE Toys
              • Jun 15, 2001

Trashing bodies

It doesn't bother me - everyone is free to do what they wish with a product
              they purchased.

Personally I find the boiling water method works best since it softens
              up the PVC quickly - which allows the head to separate from the ABS
              post more easily, causing less tearing.

My method takes less then a minute and the only place for the bodies in the trash anyway. (Sorry again to Paul - I just hate those friggin' things)[/QUOTE]
              www.drmego.com
              www.megoman.com
              www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• jacsfc
                Career Member
                • Aug 2, 2004

send me the boots that you owe me and i will tell you

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰