X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Super Joe Toy Gallery

Created a new gallery for that often forgotten era in G.I. Joe's history known as Super Joe, the era when Joe got shorter and was blasted off into the distant future to do battle with "Gor King of the Terrons" (incidentally, Gor was only the second villian Joe ever had but not the first alien).

The Gallery features production drawings and early advertising along with shots of Super Joe items from around the world:

In the UK, Joe was called "Commander Power" but Terron was marketed as an enemy for his 12" doppelganger "Action Man".

In Mexico, Joe was called "Siglo XXX" (which translates into XXX Century) and he was marketed alongside his 12" counterpart. Finding these in the original Lily Ledy display boxes are a task and a half.

Check out More at the Plaidstallions Super Joe Gallery
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Surfsup
    Silver Chrome Dome
    • Dec 2, 2005

Great stuff Brian! That Commander Power was one of my faves as a kid. I have an old pic from 1977 with my bro and gran, holding our CP and Bulletman figures. I never realised there were so many toys released for the line in the US. We definately get short changed here.

Comment

• mike binion
      Museum Patron
      • Jan 8, 2005

Super Joe was actually the first Joe figure I ever got. Got Super Joe and Gor for Christmas of I guess '77. Still got them both, but at some point I wrapped Super Joe up in Silly Putty and it never quite came all the way off his suit, lol.

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

I've never been a fan of these. Even the kids I've gotten into the GIJoe Adventure Team though these were pretty lame. Sorry Super-Joe fans!
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• megocrazy
          Museum Trouble Maker
          • Feb 18, 2007

I actually liked these better. Loved some of the characters. Now with the resurgence of the 8 inch scale why doesn't Hasbro consider redoing a line like this? Maybe a new cartoon to go with it. Video game too perhaps.
          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

The Super joe toys were really cool, as a kid toys that would light up were a lot of fun to play with at night and when friends slept over, you could play when you were supposed to be sleeping since the toys provided the light. Having the vest power the other equipment was a cool idea too, sort of a step up from Remco's energized Spider-Man.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Some of that concept artwork does indeed look like Cardy, but the actual packaging doesn't to me, unless he went for a much different style there.

I never knew anything about Super Joe before coming here. The most I read were brief mentions of GI Joe getting smaller shortly before his cancellation. It's kind of surprising Hasbro didn't revive some of these concepts for the tail-end of RAH when they went into space.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

I think I have pieces to this line in my parts box and never knew what they went to.
                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

I got my SuperJoe from my grade 6 teacher. He's always been one of my favorite figures.
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

I like the green guy, reminds me of the Kraken
                    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

I only ever had the Super Joe with the kung fu punching action and Terron...the beast was really cool and gobbled up many a Mego back in the day

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Great gallery, nice job Brian, I love these toys. How difficult to find/expensive are the UK versions? I'm a boxed rather than carded collector, and I wouldn't mind adding the boxed Commander Power ones to my collection someday (if possible). And does anyone have pics of the Ledy boxes? I've seen photos of some of the Ledy Siglo accessories, but don't recall seeing one of the figures themselves.

Comment

• Surfsup
                          Silver Chrome Dome
                          • Dec 2, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
                          How difficult to find/expensive are the UK versions? I'm a boxed rather than carded collector, and I wouldn't mind adding the boxed Commander Power ones to my collection someday (if possible).
                          They are extremely hard to find unfortunately. Over the last 6 years I've seen/heard of 2 Commander Powers, 2 Gors and 2 Shields, all boxed (nearly all of the figures were in pieces). I'm guessing they were only released for one year in '77, like Zorro, making them in short supply now.

The accessory packs are a lot easier to find on card though, they seem to pop up on Ebay a fair bit.

Comment

• rche
                            channeling Bob Wills
                            • Mar 26, 2008

love this gallery.

The full display with all those crispy straight cards and still together figures is just awesome. dig it!!!

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Surfsup
                              They are extremely hard to find unfortunately. Over the last 6 years I've seen/heard of 2 Commander Powers, 2 Gors and 2 Shields, all boxed (nearly all of the figures were in pieces). I'm guessing they were only released for one year in '77, like Zorro, making them in short supply now.
                              Damn, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, guess I'll have to settle for my loose ones. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎