X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Cuffs

I like cuffs, like vintage Green Arrow & POTA, but the new Mattel ones are too. dang. big. (Length-wise.)

Has anyone considered trimming them? Is this possible with how they're constructed?
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

I think you need to take the outfits off, turn them inside out, and then split the seams before you can make any changes without it looking bad. I don't think there's a simple trim that can be done since they're sewn into the sleeve.

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

There's no need to take the outfit of, just roll the cuffs down and turn them inside out. Then just cut off whatever you feel is excess and roll them up again over the arm and you're done.
      You might have to do a little sewing to the top of the cuffs to keep the ends together, depending on how these are made, but that's a small task and easy to do
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

jacsfc uses the white cuffs that castaway sells for his Green Lantern. And if they don't have the color you what...you could always paint them.
        sigpic

Comment

• jacsfc
          Career Member
          • Aug 2, 2004

this really wont work because the cuffs are sewn into the sleeve seam all the way to the top of the cuff. if you cut it the sleeve will come apart at the seam.

joe

Originally posted by Meule
          There's no need to take the outfit of, just roll the cuffs down and turn them inside out. Then just cut off whatever you feel is excess and roll them up again over the arm and you're done.
          You might have to do a little sewing to the top of the cuffs to keep the ends together, depending on how these are made, but that's a small task and easy to do

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^Yeah, I was afraid the cuff was integral to the sleeve seam--darnnit
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
              MeGoing
              • May 14, 2003

^ Yeah I discovered this yesterday...they bug me too.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

While I like the Boots ..., I can't stand those Cuffs at all.
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                  I can't stand those Cuffs at all.
                  I know...if Mego could do "sewn on" Cloth Cuffs back in the 70's(Green Goblin)...why can't Mattel in 2010??
                  Last edited by The Bat; Mar 2, '10, 6:53 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by jacsfc
                    this really wont work because the cuffs are sewn into the sleeve seam all the way to the top of the cuff. if you cut it the sleeve will come apart at the seam.

joe
                    Aha, didn't know that. Haven't taken my GA off the card. I thought they were only sewn on at the end of the sleeves, not all the way up.
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

Can't you just trim off the excess without cutting through the thread that binds the seams together? Then you can remove it without having to take apart the sleeve. You would probably need to trim on the right side and wrong side of the fabric, and make sure you don't leave excess where the fabric meets or it will look weird. Good luck and let us know how you take care of it.
                      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎