X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike binion
    Museum Patron
    • Jan 8, 2005

Lord Meto sticky cape concern

Hello, I have one of the Inter-Changeables Lord Meto and yesterday I noticed how his cape looked different and was very sticky to the touch. I haven't actually got him out and handled him in about a year. I washed his cape twice with a drop of dish detergent and let it air dry. It's still sticky, I assume it's some kind of chemical breakdown and eventually the cape may harden and lose its flexibility. Any advice, maybe armour all, STP or some type of automotive dash protectant, or maybe baby powder it instead?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I know he's not 3.75"
    Thanks in advance for any advice, Mike

I'm also in need of a time traveler pair of feet, one ankle piece and a head. He is one of the original Mego with the opaque yellow body. Thanks
    Last edited by mike binion; Feb 26, '10, 9:30 PM. Reason: added to it
  • AcroRay
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 17, 2005

I haven't heard of the sticky cape issue with the Interchangeables' Lord Meto, but it doesn't surprise me. I typically see all Interchangeables glossy rubber parts like missile heads eventually react and melt to nearby ABS and styrofoam surfaces.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to suggest. Although there are some tips here based on similar vinyls in Barbie Dolls:

Special Tips For Restoration of Barbie and Other Plastic Dolls

A dashboard protectant might help you. Armor-All makes detergent wipes that I've used on a number of vinyl toys. If the material has begun to break down and get sticky, however, I don't believe there's a way to actually stop the chemical reaction that's underway.
    Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
    AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
    The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
    Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• mike binion
      Museum Patron
      • Jan 8, 2005

Thank you AcroRay

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Yeah, once they do that you can kinda slow it down, but not stop it. I usually replace stuff like vinyl capes with cloth custom ones; but I'm not concerned with authenticity.

Don C.

Comment

• Remco Monster
          GLOWS in the Dark!
          • May 3, 2006

This stuff is supposed to work wonders for the sticky plastic breakdown problem....
          http://www.twinpines.com/Catalog.htm...tegoryID=00003

I have been meaning to pick some up for some Best of the West accessories I have with this problem. It may remove paint though, so use cautiously.

Comment

• mike binion
            Museum Patron
            • Jan 8, 2005

Thanks guys, just going with what I had here I tried the STP dash protectant and it still seemed sticky, so for now I powdered it and brushed off all the excess and will see how long that lasts.

Comment

• AcroRay
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 17, 2005

I'll note that my wife designed the cloth cape for Palisades' EMPEROR re-issue, which of course is Lord Meto. Her cloth cape is based closely on the sculpt of the original vinyl cape.

She sometimes makes them to order. If you're interested, P.M. me and I can pass you along.
              Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
              AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
              The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
              Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍