Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Colf72
    • Feb 21, 2008

Overdoing it (again)?

With the announce ment of the Mego Museum figures I cannot help but think that the new fad of 8" mego-esque retro figures is getting a bit out of hand. Sorry to those responsible but those two figures are hideous, IMO of course. The production of these figures in and of themselves isn't a big deal but it adds to the feeling I got after reading the toyfair news regarding all the newly announced 8" lines coming out in the months to come.

I mean to my taste and way of thinking the lines of Dexter, Lost, Venture Brothers 8" figures makes very little sense. Nothing retro or 70's about those properties IMO (I am completely owning my ignorance re Venture Brothers but I can say I hate the character designs).

I guess you take the good with the bad but I just can't help but remember that Mego themselves went on a similar tact, making 8" figures using every property possible and the results there were less than spectacular. If these other lines do not sell won't that negatively impact the production of the action figure lines we really want to see?

Just thinking out loud here but I would hate to see this 8" wave of retro figures crash before we get all the figures we want and have been waiting for.

WGSH, Trek, Apes, Universal Monsters all terrific. Really looking forward to Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon as well. ...and I would still love to see 8" Lone Ranger, Zorro, Bionic Man, retro Gallactica lines.... True retro 60's and 70's properties. There's a ton of things out there but I hope the market doesn't become oversaturated with properties that are just not fitting for retro mego's. (personally I would have really preferred the Flash to be based on the Saturday Morning Cartoons but I digress)
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Colf72
    I mean to my taste and way of thinking the lines of Dexter, Lost, Venture Brothers 8" figures makes very little sense. Nothing retro or 70's about those properties IMO (I am completely owning my ignorance re Venture Brothers but I can say I hate the character designs).
    Not a fan of Dexter and Lost either but Venture Brothers is all about retro. It really is a good fit if your familiar with the show.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Gremlin517
      Museum Patron
      • Sep 20, 2009

Honestly, I think this is a brilliant marketing strategy. What they are doing is making it into a movement and not just one lonely set of eight inch superhero action figures...

Grem-
      Give us Golden Age Mego!!! Hourman! Golden Age Green Lantern, Jay Garrick would absolutely rock!sigpic

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by Colf72
        I am completely owning my ignorance re Venture Brothers

Obviously.

WGSH, Trek, Apes, Universal Monsters all terrific. Really looking forward to Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon as well. ...and I would still love to see 8" Lone Ranger, Zorro, Bionic Man, retro Gallactica lines.... True retro 60's and 70's properties. There's a ton of things out there but I hope the market doesn't become oversaturated with properties that are just not fitting for retro mego's. (personally I would have really preferred the Flash to be based on the Saturday Morning Cartoons but I digress)
        I like the Venture Bro's Property Better than any of that stuff, personally.
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• bobws
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 13, 2008

The Variety means we might get others to support our beloved 8" lines being brought back to prominence. by the same token we shouldn't have to buy all of these but rather support what we really like and hopefully the other newbies buying the current stuff will be enough totally to keep the size popoular for years to come. Then maybe someone will make more of the items you want to see as well.
          "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Just buy what you want. I personally have no interest in Lost, Dexter, The Ventures or the dude from Anthrax. Trek, Twilight Zone, Universal Monsters, Superheroes, and Brick Mantooth on the other hand are going to take all my dollie money.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

The way I see it is that the more companies involved in reviving the 8" format the more other companies will be inclined to jump on the bandwagon. Provided of course the lines being released are a succes.
              I think it's safe to say smaller companies like BBP, EMCE and ZICA will not be releasing the same amount of figures as Mattel, meaning lines like Lost, Flash Gordon and the Venture Bros. don't need to sell as many of them to be a succes.
              Everybody has different tastes and from what I've read here I think there are enough people here who love Lost, Dexter and the Venture Bros. to make those lines a succes. And that's just in this community.
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by bobws
                The Variety means we might get others to support our beloved 8" lines being brought back to prominence. by the same token we shouldn't have to buy all of these but rather support what we really like and hopefully the other newbies buying the current stuff will be enough totally to keep the size popoular for years to come. Then maybe someone will make more of the items you want to see as well.

Well said!
                sigpic

Comment

• trekman101
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 6, 2009

The more diversity out there...the better the reemergence of the 8 inch action figure will do
                  "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                    WANTED for card bending
                    • Apr 26, 2008

Originally posted by trekman101
                    The more diversity out there...the better the reemergence of the 8 inch action figure will do
                    It gives me A HUGE LOST FAN an opportunity to pick up some nice classy looking figures without having to shell out the big bucks for a 12" line. plus, customizers will be leaving these in their wake like grave robbers.\

it's great to have a wide audience, even better if you can please more of them.

Comment

• jacoblb
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 7, 2009

I think there's plenty of wiggle room to squeeze retro-style figures in today's market. For years the sculpturing with plastic has improved tremendously due to technology and lead by companies like Todd Mcfarlane's, but Mego style toys have a way to gain market share what with 12" lines like Sideshow (while awesome) cost too much for most consumers. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, i am writing this at work off/on in between tasks.

Comment

• bobbait
                        What, me worry?
                        • Jun 9, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        Just buy what you want. I personally have no interest in Lost, Dexter, The Ventures or the dude from Anthrax. Trek, Twilight Zone, Universal Monsters, Superheroes, and Brick Mantooth on the other hand are going to take all my dollie money.
                        what he said.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Uni
                          Museum Patron
                          • Sep 7, 2008

I find Brick Mantooth to the be the absolute essence of the era.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the re, retro and Mego-esue labels ...

It doesn't mean all new figures must be based on classic characters ... It mean's the new figures will have a "retro" feel to them -- that being 8" high and having cloth clothing.

To be honest, of everything coming out Brick Mantooth is probably my favorite character of all.

He is the epitome of Mego-Nouveau
                            Last edited by Mikey; Feb 25, '10, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Uni
                              I find Brick Mantooth to the be the absolute essence of the era.
                              He could be the essence of any era. If Brick had been around in the 90s, grunge never would have happened. You choose: Brick, or a guy whose fashion says, "I may or may not be a hobo."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎