X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karen-bionic-fan
    Banned
    • Feb 13, 2010

Kenner Vs Mego ?? who would you pick?

I love them both , is there a site with the full history of the toy company Kenner?
    I
    really think Star wars and Six Million Dollar Man / Bionic Woman toy range was spectacular so extensive, and so much 70s fun its well known mego cut corners lol hey you don't say but they did some amazing play sets , and some stunning looking figures I adore the Sonny & Cher range the doll looked like her and she had lods of cool stuff a stage a car and a dressing room and stage and clothes that looked like mini versions of the real thing i feel Kenners packaging was far superior to Mego so What I am saying is I cant really pick , I love the Bionic range the figures was out of this world and don't have the mego melts ..... anyone know who had the most power in the 70s Kenner or Mego?
    I hear as well mego Had no interest in producing the star wars range I say THANK F'''@@@'k I cant really see the end result being that hot :( kenner toys had the sophistication and qaulity mego never had ......
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

i fear you will get biased answer on the MEGOmuseum.com

i do love my original SW figures for some of the same reasons i love my megos - playability, accessibility as a kid, quirkiness (not a direct interpretation of the character)

i guess i would tie my love for WGSH and Star Wars figs 1978-1981.

but as a whole in toy making - the winna MEGO

Comment

• RG
      Removed.
      • Oct 1, 2004

being a child of the 80's more than the 70's I'd have to go with Kenner ... but I love mego. Star Wars is the line that got me into toy collecting.

Comment

• Raydeen1
        Persistent Member
        • May 23, 2008

Played with more Mego toys than any other. Loved kenner and Hasbro for SW, 6MDM and GI Joe but I played with more MEgo toys.

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

Megos for me because I had them as a kid (but I also had the SMDM as well). But it was Kenners Super Powers line in the '80s that sparked my toy love again. I remember how excited I was when I saw them advertised on the back of a comic book. It was the first toy line I ever "collected", and I was 21 when they were released. Then I started to think about my beloved Megos again.
          Last edited by ScottA; Feb 24, '10, 10:07 PM.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by RussG
            being a child of the 80's more than the 70's I'd have to go with Kenner ... but I love mego. Star Wars is the line that got me into toy collecting.
            80's for me, so Kenner as well. If it was hasbro i would've picked them
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• piecemaker
              There's no need to fear..
              • Jan 26, 2009

I played with both Kenner SMDM and MEGO as a kid,i liked both.But for me now,MEGO is KING!Tigerman needs a new pair of tennis shoes.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

Y'know, as much as I love my SMDM and BW figures, I gotta go w/ Mego. To me these were better constructed to to a kid's punishment. I can't you how many times my BW lost a leg during an exciting adventure on the playground. I was never really much for small action figures like Star Wars (sorry guys!), so my pick is Mego.

However, I'm a big GIJoe Advventure Team fan, so if Hasbro was a contender, this might have been a tougher choice!
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

No love for Mattel or Hasbro?

In the early to mid 70s, I think Kenner was considered relatively small time as a toy company in comparison to the big players like Mego, Hasbro and Mattel until they hit it lucky and rich with Star Wars.

Six Million Dollar Man vs Mego WGSH? Which is better is subjective of course. But to be fair to Mattel, I feel, neither Kenner's Six Million Dollar Man or Mego's WGSH were in the same league as Barbie for range of figures, playsets and accessories.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

That's the thing. If you were a boy,you couldn't care less about Mattel or Barbie.

Comment

• Cmonster
                      Banned
                      • Feb 6, 2010

If Mego would have gotten Star Wars instead of Kenner, this question wouldn't even exist...

SC

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                        WANTED for card bending
                        • Apr 26, 2008

If that isn't "Sophie's Choice"

Kenner not only had great Star wars and Bionic stuff, but PLAY DOH! and Indiana Jones. Mego had so many other great lines...Star Trek, Apes, WGSH, Micronauts. If I had to choose, I would have to pick neither, I would play with a pack of sponges and paper clips, because at that point I would be insane.
                        Last edited by bizzaro megomauler; Feb 25, '10, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I'd hafta go with Mego, since I think the 8" body is the overall bestest design for an action figure ever. Kenner is pretty close; the little Star Wars guys were brilliantly done, and even the sillier stuff had immense play value.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

As a kid, Mego dominated my childhood, I was very into SMDM but I always went back to Mego.

by 78, the 8" stuff dried up in my area and I did get into Star Wars but it always felt like more of a collection by that point. I can remember dusting off my Treks during the Summer of 1981 and playing with them for days, the special connection to my early years is very Mego.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                              Removed.
                              • Jun 14, 2008

If Mego didn't have Planet of the Apes I would go with Six MIllion Dollar Man but the Apes are by far my most favorite toys I had as a kid. In fact they are the very few toys I was able to save from the cross-country-move toy purge of my childhood. I loved them that much.
                              I was way into SMDM and GIJoe as well but the apes were all I could hide. I had to get rid of all the big stuff.
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎