X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Movie Review: Black Dynamite

I'm not really big on doing movie reviews but I really can't not spread the word about this insanely fun movie.

Like a lot of 70s kids, I had a steady dose of so called "Blaxploitation" movies thanks to late night TV, everything from "Shaft" to "Gordy's War" and as a result these anti-heroes became my heroes.

I was a bit cautious when I first heard of this movie mostly because I wondered if it would tread the same ground as "I'm gonna git you sucka" and I've only ever seen lead actor Michael Jai White in stuff like "Spawn", which really wasn't an "actor's movie".

Well, I am pleased to say all reservations were thrown out of the window in the first five minutes. Black Dynamite is as much a parody of Blaxploitation as it is 70s film making, the movie looks and feels so distinct that you could honestly fool people. Boom mikes appear just like they did in "Dolemite", the director has done his homework.

The plot is one we've seen before, Black Dynamite who "drives a $5000 car and wears a $100 suit" is a Kung Fu badass Vietnam vet (where he killed "Chinese People") and superb ladies man, comes back to exact revenge on the drug dealers who killed his baby brother.

Dynamite recruits all the usual characters to help him, the black panthers, drug dealers and of course, pimps in his mission to clean up the streets.

The film's deadpan nature, rapid fire humour and inspired 70s recreation are so good, it reminded me of films like "Airplane!" and "Kentucky Fried Movie".

Michael Jai White is believable in both his role as a martial arts tough guy and as a comedic leading man, he's absolutely great at delivering some of the goofiest dialogue without so much as a smirk or nod to the audience.

Before the movie's schtick gets stale, the film makers amp up the "ridiculous factor" involving Kung Fu fortresses, secret formulas and well, let's just say Richard Nixon's never looked cooler.

"Black Dynamite" is the most fun and creative spoof I've seen in easily a decade, it best the lazy cheese fests like "Epic Movie" and "Meet the Spartans" with it's superior humour the same way Dynamite uses his nun chucks on the drug dealers in the film.

Check it out on Amazon

Official SiteFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

I saw a trailer for this online and was anxiously awaiting its release on DVD. It was completely worth the wait. I love this movie and am already looking for a head to make a custom Mego Black Dynamite!
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Marvelmania
      A Ray of Sunshine
      • Jun 17, 2001

I need to see this! Sounds like something I'd really get a kick out of.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I didn't realize this movie existed. Sounds like a lot of fun! I'll have to check it out!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Nice, this looks like something I want to see.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

I don't think i could watch that
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Tim Arnold
              I need to see this! Sounds like something I'd really get a kick out of.
              Tim.
              with the exception of favorite football teams, our tastes run so concurrent that I can confidently say you'll love this movie.

I was a little aprehensive when I saw the trailer, but when I saw it in the theater I was a believer. Just plain ridiculously hilarious. In fact, I think I might be the only person who aqctually did see this in the theater-
              See - Mego Talk
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• spamn
                Minty and All-Original!
                • Mar 28, 2002

The trailer is hilarious - I'll have to hunt this one down.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                  WANTED for card bending
                  • Apr 26, 2008

LOVED this movie, I always had a place in my heart for Dolomite and the like, this has bits that pay homage to nearly all of the classics.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                    SynthoRes Transmigrator
                    • Oct 24, 2007

Love this movie. Michael sent us a DVD copy last year for encoding to major clients. Needless to say, everyone at work got a copy of it.
                    Really well received at SIFF here in Seattle last year.
                    Nailed it to the T.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                      A Ray of Sunshine
                      • Jun 17, 2001

This was terrific! Thanks for posting this because if you hadn't I'd have never seen it. Just when you thought it was over the movie would kick it up another notch until the end where BD goes to the White House! Loved the cartoon credits at the end.

Comment

• Sandman9580
                        Career Member
                        • Feb 16, 2010

I watched this based on the review here, and I gotta say, it's been too long since I've had this much fun watching a movie! Somehow they got it pitch-perfect. You can tell they had a blast making it, and it's hilarious without ever turning into an over-the-top spoof like most of the parodies that come out nowadays. The cinematography is beautiful--I actually wish modern movies looked more like this. And the soundtrack and theme song are pure awesome-ness. It feels really accurate to the time period but it also stands on its own as an entertaining movie. So if you haven't seen it check it out!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎