X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sandman9580
    Career Member
    • Feb 16, 2010

Mission to Gamma VI playset

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but what are the chances of EMCE/DST reproducing the Gamma set, like they did with the bridge? I realize it would be more difficult because of the plastic molded pieces and electronics. But is there any demand or interest for it?
  • wyldpny
    Star Trek Mego Customizer
    • Jan 29, 2008

Originally posted by Sandman9580
    Apologies if this has already been discussed, but what are the chances of EMCE/DST reproducing the Gamma set, like they did with the bridge? I realize it would be more difficult because of the plastic molded pieces and electronics. But is there any demand or interest for it?
    According to Paul, EMCE didn't have anything to do with the Enterprise bridge playset as DST went and had one recreated all on their own. The Mission to Gamma playset was not electronic but it would be cool to see a retro piece of that toy reproduced. What I would like to see is a Mego scale playset made that was never done before like say a Galileo 7 Shuttlecraft, full transporter room, engineering section, etc They could make them in a way similar to what Aurora did in the 70's with the Prehistoric Scenes Dino model bases and have each individual playset sections like a transporter room, engineering section, hallway corridor with crew quarters, etc all connect in a way to create a larger playset.
    Last edited by wyldpny; Feb 19, '10, 11:58 PM.
    Capt. Kirk: "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?"
    Mr. Spock: "I am not aware of anyone who fits that description, Captain"
    Capt. Kirk: "No, Mr. Spock, I didn't think you would be"

Comment

• Sandman9580
      Career Member
      • Feb 16, 2010

The Mission to Gamma playset was not electronic but it would be cool to see a retro piece of that toy reproduced.
      Whuhh? I thought the eyes lit up! It's that animation in the museum gallery that I guess had me confused. Also, maybe I was half-remembering the Thundercats playset, which had a "laser" feature. (Didn't have the opportunity to play with these as a kid, and have never seen them in person.)

But I'm a huge fan of playsets/dioramas, and I too would love to see something like a transporter room and engineering. And the interlocking feature would be awesome! I have long wished that full-scale playsets would do this--sort of like the original Star Wars Micro collection. That way they could make smaller units that carry less retail risk, and then make more as long as they continue to sell. If this "modular" strategy could be pursued, maybe companies wouldn't be so quick to dismiss playsets out of hand.

Comment

• david_b
        Never had enough toys..
        • May 9, 2008

The Galileo would be the cooooolest..!!!
        Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• teddyk
          • Feb 24, 2008

I had the Gamma VI playset as a kid and loved it. It would be awesome to get a reproduction of it.

A Galileo shuttlecraft would rock!
          Last edited by teddyk; Feb 20, '10, 2:10 PM.

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

The eyes on the Gamma playset glow in the dark.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

I would love a Gamma 6 playset repro. I could never afford an original.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                To Fear is Not Logical...
                • Feb 17, 2008

OK. I have to admit something. The little dudes in the playset scared me as a kid. They just have those sharp teeth and hate in their eyes. LOL. I got it as a gift (I'm guessing '75 or '76) and played with it a few times with the little dudes kept in the box, but then just stuck to my Enterprise bridge. Didn't really touch it. I think that must be why when I discovered my WGSH and Trek stuff stored away, the Gamma playset wasn't with it. Was probably deemed not a keeper by my Mom.
                It's all good!

Comment

• drmego
                  EMCE Toys
                  • Jun 15, 2001

That's not true

Steve,

That isn't what I said - we did have input on the bridge playset - I
                  even hauled Dida's "theatre in the round" custom job with me to
                  Baltimore to show to DST.

Upper management insisted the bridge be reproduced EXACTLY as
                  the original, so the only question left was which factory would make
                  it. Their factory was the better price - although they found out that
                  actually reproducing it was much harder than anticipated.

Originally posted by wyldpny
                  According to Paul, EMCE didn't have anything to do with the Enterprise bridge playset as DST went and had one recreated all on their own. The Mission to Gamma playset was not electronic but it would be cool to see a retro piece of that toy reproduced. What I would like to see is a Mego scale playset made that was never done before like say a Galileo 7 Shuttlecraft, full transporter room, engineering section, etc They could make them in a way similar to what Aurora did in the 70's with the Prehistoric Scenes Dino model bases and have each individual playset sections like a transporter room, engineering section, hallway corridor with crew quarters, etc all connect in a way to create a larger playset.
                  www.drmego.com
                  www.megoman.com
                  www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Ivaniski
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 24, 2007

Mission to Gamma VI playset

Originally posted by wyldpny
                    Playsets increase the play value of the pertaining action figures,...for example...My kids are playing with their Star Trek figures more frequently due to the fact that i build them this Shuttlecraft (Galileo 7).

Last edited by Ivaniski; Feb 21, '10, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 12, 2004

Originally posted by Ivaniski
                      Playsets increase the play value of the pertaining action figures,...for example...My kids are playing with their Star Trek figures more frequently due to the fact that i build them this Shuttlecraft (Galileo 7).
                      Preserving Mego history today, making Mego history tomorrow.

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/file...all_231926.jpg
                      That's Awesome! I wish you were my daddy.

Comment

• Sandman9580
                        Career Member
                        • Feb 16, 2010

Originally posted by Ivaniski
                        Nice job!

Comment

• captact
                          King of Super Queens!
                          • Aug 19, 2007

Here's a pic of my mint sealed Gamma Playset (thanks to my dear friend Steve Kelly!!!!)

CIMG0146.jpg picture by captact - Photobucket

...For Your Eyes Only.

Ray

Comment

• ScottA
                            Original Member
                            • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by captact
                            Here's a pic of my mint sealed Gamma Playset (thanks to my dear friend Steve Kelly!!!!)

CIMG0146.jpg picture by captact - Photobucket

...For Your Eyes Only.

Ray
                            Sweet. That's the last major Mego playset I need.
                            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• spamn
                              Minty and All-Original!
                              • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by captact
                              [img="http://s659.photobucket.com/albums/uu311/captact/?action=view&current=CIMG0146.jpg"]CIMG0146.jpg picture by captact - Photobucket[/img]
                              I see somebody's a Twilight fan...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎