X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Removable cowl Batman

So when exactly are we gonna see what the removable cowl will look like?
    Can we get a shot of the black one till the final result is done?
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

Can't wait to get my hands on one
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
      Not showing it because it's black sounds like a lame excuse... or just an excuse to not show it because there's something wrong with it. Why else would they use that awful stand-in for the prototype? They don't have blue paint?
      Rich
      Please, let's not go that way. There's been plenty of bashing that cowl sculpt already, which was unnecessary since it isn't the end result. All I want to know is what the removable cowl will look like.
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I don't really get the fascination with the removable cowl anyway, they usually don't work very well. I'd prefer it to just be a Batman head. See my avatar.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Raydeen1
          Persistent Member
          • May 23, 2008

Dude, when I first saw my friend's removable mask Batman when I was 5, I about lost my mind. That BLEW away the molded mask version. Plus extra play value. It was the toy of my dreams. Seriously. I had no idea it even existed.

When I was 10, I canibalized 2 Batman heads and carved them into masks and used a Superman head for Bruce. I still have them. I carved out the noses and eyes and cut out the face rather well for a 10 year old. Slit up the front of the neck and had a fairly good mask but desperately wanted the real deal.

I FINALLY got one when I was 25 and I sat for a good 10 minutes going: Mask on..... mask off.......mask on......mask off.

To me, there is no cooler Mego, no cooler figure ever made than removable mask Batman.

The new Mattelego Batman, while cool, has some issues. For me, the Bruce Wayne head is a bit wonky. The hairline is too receded. The hair should be parted and his jawline a bit tapered. The mask... Well I actually like the proto version. I'd actually like to get one. I'd add the black stripe on the nose and tighten up the paint a bit. Make the ears a touch sharper.

I am looking forward to seeing the real thing. I'm hoping the ears are longer and sharper and the mask is a bit tighter.

The biggest selling point on the Matellego for me is the removable mask as it was for the hasbro 9" Batman. I din't get any of the other 9" Batman figures except the 1st appearanceone and I got that as a gift.
          I can't exaplain it exactly but that's my story anyway.

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          I don't really get the fascination with the removable cowl anyway, they usually don't work very well. I'd prefer it to just be a Batman head. See my avatar.

Comment

• drmego
            EMCE Toys
            • Jun 15, 2001

I made a point of showing the Hasbro 9 inch RC Batman to our guy at Mattel
            to show him what happens when you make it too thin. As I have said before,
            he is a big MEGO fan and will do everything he can to make sure it is done
            right.

The black cowl was supposed to be shown at Toy Fair. It may have been
            shown to Toys R Us - we sent along a fifth figure that was not on display
            at the Collector Night press viewing last Sunday. It may have also been
            intended for TRU eyes only.
            www.drmego.com
            www.megoman.com
            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Megosaurus
              Banned
              • Aug 6, 2007

Why blue hands with a removable mask? I'm not sure of the thought process there! Are you wanting to release additional alter egos? Otherwise it seems like a strange design choice!

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Megosaurus
                Why blue hands with a removable mask? I'm not sure of the thought process there! Are you wanting to release additional alter egos? Otherwise it seems like a strange design choice!
                Agree 100%. I never actually had a RC Batman, but I loved the premise... because you take off the cowl, change his clothes, and he is Bruce Wayne. With blue hands, that doesn't really work.

Oddly, I never felt that way about, say, Spider-Man. I was fine with a molded Spidey mask. But with Batman, it just feels like right to be able to change him between Bruce Wayne and the Batman.

Admittedly, I'll probably get one regardless... but I would have preferred some form of removable gloves. Surely we can do better than oven mitts these days.

Comment

• Gremlin517
                  Museum Patron
                  • Sep 20, 2009

I have to admit I really like the cowl as is--I think any tweaking will just make it better. I'm also glad that they didn't go with a Neal Adams (or Dick Giordano) era Batman--leave that for a little later in the series, I say!

Grem--
                  Give us Golden Age Mego!!! Hourman! Golden Age Green Lantern, Jay Garrick would absolutely rock!sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Megosaurus
                    If I had to take a guess it would be that a glove can't hold a Batarang

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

^^ But he is right the RC seems kind of pointless if you can't complete the Bruce Wayne transformation.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
                        Verbose Member
                        • Nov 14, 2004

^^ But he is right the RC seems kind of pointless if you can't complete the Bruce Wayne transformation.
                        I guess, but hey, Bruce could be wearing gloves as well, on a cold winter night

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Yeah, blue gloves he got from Matt's Mr. Freeze.

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Gremlin517
                            I'm also glad that they didn't go with a Neal Adams (or Dick Giordano) era Batman--leave that for a little later in the series, I say!

Grem--
                            Ya know, here's the thing I just don't get . Before the Mattel Prototype was shown...pretty much every body(but not every one) was in agreement that Batman should be based on one of 70's Mego era Artists: Adams, Giordano, Garcia Lopez, Jim Aparo, etc... Then Mattel releases this goofy looking Batman that my 9 year old Nephew wouldn't even want...and suddenly every body changes their tune?? I'm still just dazed & confused.
                            Last edited by The Bat; Feb 20, '10, 6:15 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• rcbats1
                              Banned
                              • Nov 1, 2005

I'm sure the fascination comes from the history of Mego's RC Batman...but I love the idea of Batman being able to take his cowl off and becoming Bruce Wayne...blue hands or no blue hands. And if Mego could pull off a Removable cowl 30 years ago...then you'd think Mattel , or any other company could do it nicely now. Look at DC Directs Silver Age Hawkman or even "The Batman" Bruce Wayne figure from Mattel...very well done and one of my favorite toys.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎