X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Just got Superman KCOP version

For those that don't know what the KCOP version is. It refers to a broadcast of Superman:The Movie in the 80's by KCOP TV. It's the "kitchen sink" Superman: The Movie. They used the version prepared by the Salkands that pretty much uses all the usable scenes shot for Superman. It has even a bit more scenes then the network TV version did.

On the network TV version, one of the additional scenes had me spouting question marks. The additional scenes in the KCOP version clear up the mystery.

The scene is where Superman is making a Dam to keep the water from reaching a neighborhood. In the network TV version, they have this sequence where the water diverted by the dam flows to an impoverished village and they are happy to have water again. On the ABC version, it didn't seem to be connected to anything and one wonders why it was there in the first place.

It turns out that this is the village of the indian chief that Lois Lane was interviewing in the car. In that scene there was additional dialog about how ever since the dam went up, his village suffered because the water was diverted away from them. There is also a scene of Lois dropping off the chief at that same village.

Anyway, there is the connection.

mego73@hotmail.com
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Seems like I saw that version on TV one time. Perhaps in syndication in the late 80s/early 90s? Either way, cool score!

I wish WB would just put all the available footage for Superman on a disc. Maybe in a few years when the "Final, Ultimate, This-Is-It Edition" comes out.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• mego73
      Printed paperboard Tiger
      • Aug 1, 2003

One of the reasons why the long version has not been released is because Richard Donner said he would take his name off the movie if it was released that way.

Can't blame him. The Salkinds did this 'Kitchen sink" version because the way the deal (TV broadcast) was set up, they got more money the longer the movie was. Of course, this was done without Donner's input.

I would've liked it if the deleted scenes were inlcuded on the DVD "on the side" but it was a lot.

I still get a kick about the Air Force 1 pilots joking about the President in a way that obviously showed it was Jimmy Carter they were flying but later on they have a scene where the president is alerted on the golf course about the malfunctioning missles and the guy sounds nothing like Jimmy Carter (his face is never shown).

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• LadyZod
        Superman's Gal Pal
        • Jan 27, 2007

That is one version of the film I've still to see. Reminds of the extended west coast tv version of DUNE.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
        Check out my art:
        Art Portfolio@Redbubble
        Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎