X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Mego stuffed King Kong

I have two of the stuffed King Kongs that Mego had made in conjunction with the 1976 remake. The smaller one is about 15" high, while the larger one is nearly 24" high (he's huge!). One of Mego's catalogues shows three different sizes that were to be available. Was the third size made? If so (or not), was it supposed to be larger or smaller than the other two? Anyone have any info about this? Here's a pic of the two I have, I just wanted to know if there is an additional one I should be hunting down:

In the top left of the pic you can also see the Mego vinyl Kong that Takara made and sold in Japan. I'm still looking for the Mego/Bullmark vinyl Kong. Anyone have one they want to sell?
  • kresge1
    Museum_Bozo
    • Jun 20, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
    I have two of the stuffed King Kongs that Mego had made in conjunction with the 1976 remake. The smaller one is about 15" high, while the larger one is nearly 24" high (he's huge!). One of Mego's catalogues shows three different sizes that were to be available. Was the third size made? If so (or not), was it supposed to be larger or smaller than the other two? Anyone have any info about this? Here's a pic of the two I have, I just wanted to know if there is an additional one I should be hunting down:

In the top left of the pic you can also see the Mego vinyl Kong that Takara made and sold in Japan. I'm still looking for the Mego/Bullmark vinyl Kong. Anyone have one they want to sell?

Nice stuff.Love the two apes together like that.Also love the Cipsa Boxed Zaius
    Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• batmanmc
      mego batman collector
      • Jun 22, 2004

NICE STUFF. IVE NEVER HEARD OR SEEN A KING KONG STUFFED MADE BY MEGO. thanks for sharing. mike

Comment

• Evel KMego
        Museum Daredevil
        • Apr 26, 2006

I have the 15" one, but never saw the larger one before! Love the Mego King Kong stuff! Can't help you out with any info though.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Thanks for the comments guys. My toyroom is almost finished, and then I'll post some more pics.

Originally posted by kresge1
          Also love the Cipsa Boxed Zaius
          Alas, I just have the empty box though. I need a Cipsa Zaius to go with it. Anyone have one they wanna sell to me?

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

That's a very nice set man,can't wait to see more pics
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• kresge1
              Museum_Bozo
              • Jun 20, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
              Thanks for the comments guys. My toyroom is almost finished, and then I'll post some more pics.

Alas, I just have the empty box though. I need a Cipsa Zaius to go with it. Anyone have one they wanna sell to me?
              Wish i could help.I am looking for Cipsa Bill
              Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

If they made 3 different sizes then I hope for your sake the 24" Kong is the biggest
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Meule
                  If they made 3 different sizes then I hope for your sake the 24" Kong is the biggest
                  That's for sure. If they made a 3 foot tall version, I'm probably screwed.

I'm guessing the other one was planned to be smaller or in between the two that I have. Actually, John Bonavita's Mego book lists a 14", 20" and 26" Kong (the latter two say "unknown" for values). I wonder if he got that info from the 1977 Mego catalogue where these are supposed to be listed. Here at the Museum, there's a pic from the catalogue in the Kong gallery, but not of the write up below the pictures (there are scans from the 1977 catalogue in the library section, but no pages showing the plush Kongs, only the other Kong stuff). Anyone have a full scan of the page showing the plush Kongs?

Here's all I can find:

Comment

• Count Creepyhead
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Jul 28, 2007

Other companies besides MEGO made those plush Kongs.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

It is true that Mego didn't actually manufacture these items, but rather Samet and Wells did. Mego had the master toy licence for the 1976 film remake, but apparently let other companies produce some items that Mego then solicited and/or distributed. Another example was the two vinyl Kong figures that were produced for the Japanese market. They were actually manufactured by Takara and Bullmark respectively, but Mego was somewhat involved and got a piece of the profits (and their name also appeared on the packaging). Anyway, it's a technicality, but I consider the plush Kongs to be Megos.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

In Bonavita's book, he says Samet and Wells was a subsidarary of Mego. Is this true? He mentions it in conjunction with the stuffed Fonzie doll pictured in the book.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          In Bonavita's book, he says Samet and Wells was a subsidarary of Mego. Is this true? He mentions it in conjunction with the stuffed Fonzie doll pictured in the book.

Chris
                          Thanks, I thought I had read that somewhere, but couldn't find it in Bonavita's book. I didn't think to look in the Happy Days section, I forgot about the stuffed Fonzie.

I did a quick web search, but couldn't find anything. According to the tag on my Kong, Samet and Wells was located in Bohemia, NY. I wonder how they were related. I wonder if they were also involved in the Super Softies. Ah, more questions.

Comment

• batmanmc
                            mego batman collector
                            • Jun 22, 2004

thats cool cj. i like them and they are like the ledy's to me.

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by batmanmc
                              thats cool cj. i like them and they are like the ledy's to me.
                              Thanks, and I'm a big fan of the Ledys too!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎