X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Countdown

Any one else bored with this already? It's just not doing it for me so far... "52" was a much better read than this and even that had flaws.
    Maybe after this one finishes DC should put the weekly cross-over comic to bed for a while. They're stretching it too thin IMO. I'm also not crazy about the covers...I think "52" was served much better by having one cover artist with a solid vision: JG Jones. These other mini-arcs of cover artists are falling short. The only saving grace so far has been the "History of the Multi-Verse" backups (which got weak also by the end) and now the "Secret Origins" of the DC Villains back-up.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I dropped it. For whatever reason, it's just not interesting to me. I usually love Paul Dini's stuff, but I just can't get into this.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Titan4ever
      Museum Patron
      • Oct 29, 2006

AMEN! I'm with you there! IMO by stringing it all out, the pacing sucks, the development per thread and the impact is too diluted. While I really do want to see how all of these changes will affect specific characters, from week to week, there isn't enough to sink your teeth into. Moreover, now that we are over a quarter of the way into it, there's no momentum building yet. It all feels like filler to me.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Maybe once the title changes to "Countdown to Final Crisis" it'll kick it into gear...but I might not be around to wait for it.

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

I have only 2 issues.... To be quite honest,.. I have not made it threw all thew all the 52 issues yet,... & to see them offering collected trades of 52 for alot cheeper than I paid,.. made me be a bit stingey on the chash flow.. I dunno,.. just don't care enough for this crap.. some of the character story arc's interest me, however alot more do not.
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

For some reason, I just can't get interested in these big events anymore. i guess its the getting burned by all of them in the 90's. I probably will be on board for Final Crisis, since Grant Morrison is writing it and is supposed to be his full statement on the DCU and its origins.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• VintageMike
              Permanent Member
              • Dec 16, 2004

I am enjoying the Mary Marvel part of the story. The rest, not really.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

This book is turning into utter crap! The cover this week didn't even match the interiors! (Karate Kid taking on Brother Eye). Kudos to editorial for keping everything on the same page. Yeesh! Even the super-villain origin pages (The Penguin) looked like they were phoned in. Part of the problem I think is the group of characters they chose this time around to focus on: Jimmy Olsen, Mary Marvel, Karate Kid (who all would have benefited from their own mini-series instead of this patchwork concept), and Holly Robinson (?!).
                I expected more from Paul Dini being at the helm but I've been very disappointed in the results.

Comment

• JDeRouen
                  Author of Small Things
                  • Jun 14, 2001

Who is Holly Robinson anyway?
                  --
                  Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

....er....

FINAL Crisis....?

Don C.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

Holly Robinson is Selina Kyle's (Catwoman) buddy. First introduced in Frank Milleer's Batman:Year One. She filled out the catsuit while Selina took a break during One Year Later.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                        Holly Robinson is Selina Kyle's (Catwoman) buddy. First introduced in Frank Milleer's Batman:Year One. She filled out the catsuit while Selina took a break during One Year Later.
                        Ed Brubaker should be credited for bringing back the former child prostitute and creating such a strong character in the relaunch of the Catwoman title with Darwyn Cooke. It should be noted that Holly Robinson is yet another strong lesbian character in the DCU.

Holly as Catwoman was yet another in a long line of DC's One Year Later concepts that didn't stick.

Despite the success of 52, I think it's now safe to say that One Year Later was mostly a bust for injecting new life and excitement into the midrange DCU. The much awaited Jason Todd Versus Dick Grayson showdown in Nightwing turned out to make no sense whatsoever and was a bit of snoozefest. Bart as Flash pretty much ran it's course rather quickly. Wonder Woman's new direction floundered with rotating creative teams, hopefully things will settle down and establish a status quo with Gail Simone on board, although this Amazons Attack thing seems to be going nowhere as well. JLA was meandering. Oliver Queen as Mayor also short-lived.

The only standouts were the Superman and Batman launches with some top caliber talent. Geoff Johns titles seemed to be bullet proof as well. Green Lantern didn't really have much of a new direction post OYL since it only recently relaunched anyways. JSA got a shot in the arm thanks to Alex Ross coming on board , but to me it remains the same title as it's always been with an expanded cast.

Countdown is struggling in the wake of 52's success due to a lack of A-list writing talent. As much as I'm liking Dini's run on Detective, Countdown just isn't geling.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎