X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

My GL's noggin is too large

Just popped my set of of DC Super Heroes open, and discovered that Green Lantern's head is too big for his body.

Kind of like the Target exclusive 9-inch silver-age Superman from a while back.

Has anyone else come across this?

For the most part I like the figures a lot.

I'd prefer them to be a bit bulkier in the chest, particularly Superman.

The body size fits Sinestro and Luthor, well.

Sinestro is my favorite figure. Really an excellent job on him. Head sculpt is great and the costume is done really well.

Luthor is good but his face could have been meaner looking. It would make a fine Professor X.

Superman reminds me a great deal of Filmation Superman and Bob Holiday as the Man of Steel in the Broadway musical "It's A Bird, it's a plane, it's Superman.

If you can find these at ToysRUS and there are multiple figures give them a good looking over before purchasing them.
  • supercrazy
    Banned
    • Oct 3, 2006

I thought the Green Lantern head was kinda small. If it was just a tad smaller it would be cool. Still like him though. I think he would make a nice Green Hornet custom. Also I really like Superman, Sinestro and Lex is my favorite.
    Last edited by supercrazy; Feb 12, '10, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• david_b
      Never had enough toys..
      • May 9, 2008

I'll probably pick up the GL, but get a custom suit made for him.. I didn't like the lower collar too much.

I'm actually just happy he was made at all..!!

david_b
      Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by madmarva
        If you can find these at ToysRUS and there are multiple figures give them a good looking over before purchasing them.

How come ?
        Anything up with your set ?
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

Black Knight,

Hal's head is too large for his body. It may be that way with every figure. If so that's just the way it is, but I may have gotten an odd ball.

The bodies on all four are more loose than Green Arrow, and in their packages, their pelvises were thrusting out. That might or might not be a clue to a loose body on the figure.

Hal's logo was a bit off center and it looks like if you move the body around much it might crack and peel off like a transfer on an old well worn T-shirt.

The Superman Logo on the chest and cape looked great and seemed thicker than Hal's.

Hal's and Sinetro's Lanterns are nice and the piece of Kryptonite with Luthor is a great addition. the power rings are well done, Hal's on his right hand and Sinestro's on his left.

The Sinestro head is better looking than the prototype. Luthor's is a nice head. Superman's head looks solid, but it's a little flat on top.

Aphantom zone projector or a bottled City of Kandor would have been a nice addition for Superman.

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• HapSlash
              Tribal Witchdoctor
              • Nov 18, 2009

The head is a little large, but I think the thing that throws it off, is he's also chubby. His face is really round, and looks nothing like ANY interpretation of the GL that I've ever seen.

Out of all the retro figures, he is hands down the worst of the lot. from his large fat head to his poorly made costume... they didn't even get the design right. On the figure I have, half of his symbol is on his abs and the black sections under his arms stretch down to his waist. Was it really too much to ask to get this figure done right?
              ALL HAIL MING!

A slapped together sample of my work:
              HapSlash's Image Slideshow

Comment

• Gremlin517
                Museum Patron
                • Sep 20, 2009

Can we get pictures of these giant heads?

Grem-
                Give us Golden Age Mego!!! Hourman! Golden Age Green Lantern, Jay Garrick would absolutely rock!sigpic

Comment

• HapSlash
                  Tribal Witchdoctor
                  • Nov 18, 2009

I haven't opened mine, and after looking at them, I don't think I intend to. These are probably going into storage. So, I can't really give any better pics than what is out there.

But take a look at this post. There is a photo of the GL head, swapped onto the bigger C-A-T body... and it still looks huge.

Mego Talk - View Single Post - Wave 1 Loose pictures
                  ALL HAIL MING!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

I'm pretty sure the GL head is a re-sculpted Captain Kirk. It looks totally like him. Compare the heads and see what you think.

Comment

• Ivaniski
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by HapSlash
                      I haven't opened mine, and after looking at them, I don't think I intend to. These are probably going into storage. So, I can't really give any better pics than what is out there.

But take a look at this post. There is a photo of the GL head, swapped onto the bigger C-A-T body... and it still looks huge.

Mego Talk - View Single Post - Wave 1 Loose pictures
                      You're 100% correct! I noticed this flaw upon seeing the early pictures that were displayed by some West coast Museum members. As per the pics,...I believe the problem lies within the GL head being too round (Pudgy + Generic) looking and a tad bit big. If the the Green Lantern head would've been as symmetrical and defined as Green Arrows....it would've been much better. It's sort of ironic cause the prototype GL head was in Par with the prototype body;...Something got lost during the transition phase (even the collar was altered). I'll have to replace it with this Green Lantern head (See pic below) when i get my retro DC figure. I wonder if Mattel will redo some of the wave 1 figures in the near future. I believe Mego did slight variations of the same figure. Geez!,.....Maybe round off the top of Retro Superman's flat head.

New Green Lantern head going into DC Retro costume, this figure is a custom made by one of the members here......

Prototype Green Lantern with better looking collar and symmetrical head.......
                      Last edited by Ivaniski; Feb 13, '10, 8:39 AM.

Comment

• Ivaniski
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 24, 2007

Don't get me wrong...I really wish much success to this line. Additionally, I feel that it has a bright future ahead of it. However, it's by virtue of the "Critique" that in all facets of life....things can improve (remember the Wright brothers). I strongly believe that this line is heading towards the right direction, and we here at the Museum can continue to play a role (no matter how small) in assisting Mattel and the good Doc Mego reach that objective by way of feedback. I contend that this Retro DC Superhero line could probably be the best ever made,...if all the pieces begin to fall in their proper place/order.

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Personally, I think the head looks great, doesn't look too big to me. And he still has a collar

"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Ivaniski
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by Meule
                            Personally, I think the head looks great, doesn't look too big to me. And he still has a collar

http://www.albertpenello.com/mego/mattyglcard.JPG
                            I Agree. However, the consensus is that the collar sits better on Castaway or Mego type 2 bodies as per shown in the pic, and on the Mattel body the collar has the propensity to sit very low. Another problem with the Mattel bodies is that the shoulders are very narrow looking (reminds me too much of Tobey McGuire in the Spidey outfit LOL) and in the case of the GL head, (which some feel is a tad too big) i think it's generic looking and has a roundness to it. It's not as defined as the Green Arrows head. Just my 2 cents.
                            Last edited by Ivaniski; Feb 13, '10, 9:48 AM.

Comment

• HapSlash
                              Tribal Witchdoctor
                              • Nov 18, 2009

That's a pic of an altered figure... The head is on a castaway body, which is even broader than an original Mego body... and it still looks a bit large.
                              ALL HAIL MING!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎