Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Marvel get a piece of the action ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Could Marvel get a piece of the action ?

If the Retroheroes do well - which I suspect they will ........ could Marvel get jealous and want a peice of the 8" Mego Retroheroes action and produce their own Retroheros ?

Of course under a different name and using different bodies etc --- but is it feasible Marvel could make their own version of Megos ?

If so, would they have to get permission from DC, Mattel, EMCE and Marty ? or are they open to their own interpretation of the product ?

BTW, I'm not talking about famous covers.
    FC were an atrocity and were nothing like Megos.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I don't know, but I really hope it happens somehow...I think these new Mattel figures are the greatest thing ever.

I was really disappointed with the Famous Covers line. Some of the figures were pretty good, but the bodies were weird, with tiny waists and huge wide chests. Captain America's star was stretched so wide it looked ridiculous.

The Hasbro Signature series were better, but the outfits couldn't come off, and they only made a handful, including HALF of the Fantastic Four, just like the Famous Covers did.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

It seems almost customary that if Mattel has success with Retro Action, Hasbro will look into creating a competing brand with their licenses. Whether or not they involve some like EMCE is a big factor.

I kind of worry that if they do it alone, the results will be somewhat unsatisfactory.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 1, 2005

I really hope Marvel would do it right, because I can see them really screwing them up. I'd love to see them have enough sense to try teaming up with EMCE and do it right.

Comment

• yokaijohn
          Keep it coolin', baby
          • Oct 1, 2008

Hope they team up with EMCE,but if they don't if they gave them GI Joe type(retro) bodies that would be cool too.
          Monsters and much more by YokaiJohn on Etsy

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by yokaijohn
            Hope they team up with EMCE,but if they don't if they gave them GI Joe type(retro) bodies that would be cool too.
            While I love Mego bodies, I think a classic 12" GI Joe body shrunk down to 8" would rule.

Comment

• Spyweb007
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 18, 2006

There's really no reason Hasbro couldn't do 8" Mego style Marvel characters, other than the probably feel there's no market for them since the Signature series figures failed. I find it funny that the Signature series figures were labeled as 8" even though they were 9" tall, and they even used circles with character faces in them on the packaging. The line was obviously inspired by Mego, yet still missed the mark. I'm sure whomever initiated the line had modern versions of Megos in mind, but by the time the get the marketing, legal, licensing, design and whatever other departments involved things go wrong. It's amazing to me that a toy company can't get it right, I mean just follow the lead of a company they competed against 30 years ago. Then again with so many people involved in decision making it's amazing anything gets done right at all.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                There's really no reason Hasbro couldn't do 8" Mego style Marvel characters, other than the probably feel there's no market for them since the Signature series figures failed. I find it funny that the Signature series figures were labeled as 8" even though they were 9" tall, and they even used circles with character faces in them on the packaging. The line was obviously inspired by Mego, yet still missed the mark. I'm sure whomever initiated the line had modern versions of Megos in mind, but by the time the get the marketing, legal, licensing, design and whatever other departments involved things go wrong. It's amazing to me that a toy company can't get it right, I mean just follow the lead of a company they competed against 30 years ago. Then again with so many people involved in decision making it's amazing anything gets done right at all.
                I think the only reason the Signature Series failed was because Hasbro oversaturated the market with them, and were actually competing with their own Marvel Legends, which were well established already. If you already had a Toy Biz Marvel Legends collection, you weren't going to change lines/scale in mid-collection. Also, I think ultimately Hasbro intended to halt everything anyway and move to 3 3/4 scale, and that's exactly what they did.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                  Alan Scott is the best GL
                  • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Mikey01
                  While I love Mego bodies, I think a classic 12" GI Joe body shrunk down to 8" would rule.
                  I would bet hasbro would use modified molds from Sigma 6 since they have an 8" body type already

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎